Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 06-08-2015, 07:14 PM   #1
atatistcheff

Default Display Server Crashes

First of all I know this is an issue that is supposedly on the Apple side and there's apparently nothing DisplayLink can do about it. However I have two reasons for posting this. 1. To keep awareness that there is still an issue affecting some users making the product almost unusable. 2. To see if there are any workarounds or configurations I can try which might avoid the issue.

The issue is the display server crashing causing me to logout and lose any unsaved work. This is becoming a real pain and I'm considering returning the USB adapter I purchased. I simply can't afford to lose my work multiple times a day because the driver is crashing the display server. I'm not doing anything radical like full screen operations, just normal browsing, editing docs, etc.

I've tried all the latest drivers and even going back to v2.2 and the problem persists. My configuration is a MBP 13 inch running OSX 10.10.3. I have one external monitor connected via the Displayport and one via a Diamond USB 3.0 adapter. At seemingly random times during the day the displayserver will crash logging me out and closing all running apps. Sometimes I can go a day without it happening and sometimes it happens twice a day.

Any assistance would be appreciated, I really don't want to give up and go back to one monitor!
atatistcheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:54 PM   #2
BryGuy

Have you noticed if this crash happens after you attempt to show desktop or using exposé? If it seems to coincide with one of those actions, you might check out this thread: http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?p=74637

I suggested running the following commands in terminal to basically disable the animation that takes place when showing the desktop/exposé:

Code:
MyCompy:~$ defaults write com.apple.dock expose-animation-duration -float 0
MyCompy:~$ killall Dock
I haven't had a Window Server crash since setting the animation duration to 0 (nearly a year now). I will note that my DisplayLink driver is version 2.3.58024.0. I haven't upgraded to any of the 2.4 beta versions because this has been so stable for me since disabling the animations, but I might give it a try anyway soon.

Hope that helps!
BryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:14 PM   #3
imercado

Default Other window animation disabling you can do

For more protection against desktop crashes. Got this from Turn off Animations & Eye Candy Special Effects in Mac OS X Lion:
defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSAutomaticWindowAnimationsEnabled -bool NO
defaults write com.apple.Mail DisableReplyAnimations -bool YES
defaults write com.apple.Mail DisableSendAnimations -bool YES
defaults write com.apple.dock expose-animation-duration -int 0; killall Dock
defaults write com.apple.dock springboard-show-duration -int 0
defaults write com.apple.dock springboard-hide-duration -int 0

Just about threw my USB display driver dongle out the window this afternoon watching an "exploding" new Safari window crash my desktop, but plugged the dongle back in after discovering the above info for disabling window animations. Hoping for the best.

Ian
imercado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:29 AM   #4
Carlo
Mac Team

Hi All,

We've been told that the developer beta 6 of El Capitan may finally fix this. The public beta 4 should have the same fix.
We're testing it now but this kind of issue can be triggered in a variety of different ways so if your are trying El Capitan please let us know if this issue is still there for you.

Best regards,
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote