Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 10-22-2018, 09:33 AM   #11
nicola

Hello again,
I received the 3 new cables as mentioned, and for the moment there is no solution.

This is my current scenario:

| ASUS N580VD --> USB-C --> DELL D6000
|
|--------- Station HDMI Port --> HDMI Cable--> Monitor HDMI Port
|
|--------- Rankie HDMI ->DisplayPort 4K adapter --> Docking DP Port --> HDMI Cable--> Monitor HDMI Port

With this configuration, the 2 attached monitor are not flickering, and the third monitor works attached to the HDMI built-in port of the NoteBook.

Adding the third monitor

| ASUS N580VD --> USB-C --> DELL D6000
|
|--------- Station HDMI Port --> HDMI Cable--> Monitor HDMI Port
|
|--------- Rankie HDMI ->DisplayPort 4K adapter --> Station DP Port --> HDMI Cable--> Monitor HDMI Port
|
|--------- Rankie HDMI ->DisplayPort 4K adapter --> Station DP Port --> HDMI Cable--> Monitor HDMI Port

The monitor attached to the HDMI port of the docking starts again flickering.

So, if at start the problem of bad manufactured cables was one of the cause, it is partially solved. The problem now is using both DisplayPort ports of the station.
nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:46 PM   #12
nicola

Hi again,
I'm officially out of ideas.

I also tried buying DP->HDMI "active" adapter (whatever that means) as suggested by some sites and tried the shortest HDMI cable (0.5m).

Always the same behaviour of flickering.

At this point the only working solution is using the 2 DP ports of the station and the built-in HDMI port of the notebook. The USB->HDMI graphic adapter seems to work bad, after some point all the monitor goes black and all windows position are resetted to notebook monitor.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 10-31-2018, 05:45 PM   #13
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello again,

The 3rd output is never using our technology so whether it works and fixing it, is not under my control, unfortunately. The chip we make that Dell uses in the box only has 2 simultaneous outputs possible.
When using 2 displays (DPx2, DP+HDMI) it all goes through us because of internal switches, when you add the 3rd display, both DP are connected to our chip, and the HDMI is driven by the laptop through a converter (like your USB-C to HDMI standalone converter you tried, because the laptop outputs DisplayPort Alt-Mode and standard USB, not HDMI Alt-Mode) and that's when it starts the flickering.

I don't understand your case of DP->HDMI active adapter.
A passive adapter means it's not really DisplayPort, it's HDMI signals disguised in DisplayPort connector (called DisplayPort++ or Dual Mode).
An active adapter means the adapter is generating an HDMI signal itself, so it's not driven from the dock or the computer.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:51 PM   #14
nicola

Hi AlbanRampon,
at this point I don't know what to think, I'm unable to find a common ground on all my attempts.

It seems to be random, at the end I tried:
- different notebooks
- different stations (2 different brands)
- different monitors
- differente cables

The behaviour is always the same, the HDMI connected monitor is flickering.

The only common variable here is that all the notebooks I tried are ASUS branded (I don't have other USB-C notebooks of different brands), but I don't know if this can be a cause of my problem.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:10 AM   #15
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicola View Post
I tried connecting a StarTech USB32HDPRO adapter (USB->HDMI) to the docking station, for the most part of time it seemed to work fine, but one time all the monitor (notebook included) crashed, going all black and turn back on after few seconds. This solution was using 2 monitor connected to the DP ports of the station and one to the USB-HDMI adapter.

But this was made using the USB-C port, so because I will not use the HDMI port anyway, I can try the USB port itself, but maybe it is a throughput higher than supported by a single USB-C port
I reviewed the thread, and will attempt to summarise.
StarTech USB32HDPRO adapter (USB->HDMI) is using DisplayLink technology as well.
So, from what I can see, when using any of the DL-3xxx, DL-5xxx, and DL-6xxx HDMI outputs, your monitor works properly. You have issues when using the Alternate Mode, and potentially with DisplayPort converter chip.

When all your displays flashed, it could be because of a driver crash. The notebook will blink as you change the desktop layout.
If you still have that adapter, I'd recommend plugging it to your docking station and use it to drive the HDMI monitor.
Should it crash again, we can look into the crash data to improve the driver.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:31 AM   #16
nicola

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
I reviewed the thread, and will attempt to summarise.
StarTech USB32HDPRO adapter (USB->HDMI) is using DisplayLink technology as well.
So, from what I can see, when using any of the DL-3xxx, DL-5xxx, and DL-6xxx HDMI outputs, your monitor works properly. You have issues when using the Alternate Mode, and potentially with DisplayPort converter chip.

When all your displays flashed, it could be because of a driver crash. The notebook will blink as you change the desktop layout.
If you still have that adapter, I'd recommend plugging it to your docking station and use it to drive the HDMI monitor.
Should it crash again, we can look into the crash data to improve the driver.

Kind regards,
Alban
Thank you for your suggestions. I tried the StarTech adapter in the previous days, connecting it to the docking station, but also used by itself (only notebook monitor and one external with the adapter) with the USB port of the notebook.
In both cases after some time both monitors get stuck, after few seconds they became all black and the all the layout is resetted (all windows are moved to the internal notebook monitor).

I don't know... maybe the StarTech adapter is damaged, but at this point I'm willing to consider a problem with the Intel driver itself of the notebook, not any external device I can use.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:38 PM   #17
nicola

From first tests with the StarTech USB3DOCKH2DP I just bought, I can say that all 3 external monitors are working fine, even with the notebook display enabled: https://photos.app.goo.gl/s5p6UEZcY5nW5Jnf8

The difference here is that is an older model which use only the USB3.0 port and not like the newer model which uses the USB-C port.

From Control Panel of Windows I can see that 3 monitors are managed by the external station (instead of 2+1 like other model) and only the built-in monitor is managed by the internal Intel chipset.

Also, just for test purposes, while the dock was connected I attached 2 additional displays on the built-in HDMI port of the notebook and on the built-in USB-C port of the notebook (with a simple adapter), and all 6 monitors are working correctly.

And in this case, 3 monitors are managed by the Intel chipset and 3 monitors are managed by the external station.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/T3P83vCFZzhnmH3FA

After all this tests and this success, I'm willing to consider an USB-C incompatibility problem or something related to the notebook hardware or Windows drivers.

I will try a couple of days with this station but for the moment is seems the problem to be finally solved.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:06 PM   #18
nonintanon

I do have the same problem. The third monitor that connected via HDMI is flicking from time to time and it's really annoying.

I ended up connecting the HDMI directly to my labtop (Dell Inspiron 13 7370) which is shame as I bought D6000 to replace my D3100 just because I want to have a single USB-C connection to my machine
nonintanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:45 AM   #19
nicola

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonintanon View Post
I do have the same problem. The third monitor that connected via HDMI is flicking from time to time and it's really annoying.

I ended up connecting the HDMI directly to my labtop (Dell Inspiron 13 7370) which is shame as I bought D6000 to replace my D3100 just because I want to have a single USB-C connection to my machine
While I was trying differents USB-C docking station I was using 2+1 monitor as well (2 with the docking, 1 to the HDMI built-in port).
Now that I tried this USB docking station it seems that the problem is related to the USB-C functionality.
Have you tried the previous docking station using a USB->USB-C adapter?
Old 05-10-2019, 06:39 PM   #20
nonintanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicola View Post
While I was trying differents USB-C docking station I was using 2+1 monitor as well (2 with the docking, 1 to the HDMI built-in port).
Now that I tried this USB docking station it seems that the problem is related to the USB-C functionality.
Have you tried the previous docking station using a USB->USB-C adapter?
No, I haven't tried with the adapter. The D3100 worked fine with USB3 port but it requires power line.

I thought that upgrading to D6000 would allow me to forget the power line and use only a single USB-C to connect to my machine.

Now I can get rid of power line but need HDMI instead

However, just a few days ago, Dell has updated the driver and it's less flicking. Hope they'll keep updating until the problem gone.
nonintanon is offline   Reply With Quote