Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 03-30-2018, 08:13 AM   #111
Wim

Dear all

As you have found, the released 10.13.4 update does not change the issues seen with the betas. It causes DisplayLink connected displays to go blank after the OS upgrade, with the current DisplayLink driver [4.1] installed. Functionality such as Ethernet and audio, where implemented, is unaffected. We have alerted Apple to this issue and have been working hard to find a resolution. These features continue to work as expected in 10.13.3.

In the meantime, we are releasing a new driver [4.3] that will enable clone mode, but not mirror or extended mode displays in 10.13.4. If you require mirror or extended mode displays, we recommend that you stay on macOS 10.13.3 at this time.

We understand that this loss of functionality on OS upgrade is potentially disruptive for our users and customers. Please be assured that this issue has the highest business priority in DisplayLink. We thank you for your patience and will provide an update on this situation, as soon as we have further information to share.

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:31 AM   #112
dsjdsj

Default Time Frame

Thank you for the update. I notice from previous posts that this has been going on for a while. Do you have any idea about the time frame for this to be resolved?
dsjdsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:43 AM   #113
dizash

Just to confirm a couple of things you guys already probably know:

1. The workaround that another user posted a few betas ago and stopped working after one of the updates (Beta 4 or Beta 5): launchctl unload /Library/LaunchAgents/com.displaylink.useragent.plist
THIS CONTINUES NOT TO WORK BUT WAS A GOOD SOURCE OF HOPE DURING EARLIER BETAS.

2. Again, sorry if redundant - the DisplayLink Hardware still shows up in the USB Section of System Information (accessible via "About This Mac").

The OS definitely responds to the device but sadly just to display a constant blank screen.

I wish I could remember the last time I checked "Displays" under system preferences, but it's been at least 2 Betas or so. Under this Pref Pane I used to see the Arrange Tab and the option to gather all screens. It's weird (at least to my level of knowledge) that the above are not present in this pref pane but I guess it makes sense to an extent as I can no longer move the pointer with the trackpad off either the built in display or the one attached via TB. I wish I could remember when this behavior started. I can't say for certain, but it was one of the last Betas (maybe 6?). Prior to that, I could move my pointer to the blacked out screen and take a screen shot which when opened showed the display as it usually looked as if it was hidden behind a black screen sized rectangle.

Thanks to everyone who's been sharing - at least I've had the consolation from my fellow users that their DL hardware is not functioning either.

Hope to see some news soon.....thnx.
dizash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 01:03 PM   #114
uncplayer23

I just got this from the manufacturer of my dock:

Thank you for being a Plugable Triple Display Docking Station user.

If this product is being used with a Mac, we have important news about macOS 10.13.4. This new macOS release only supports displays which are directly provided by a GPU or via AirPlay.

For this dock, this means versions of Apple macOS after 10.13.3 will only support the single 4K HDMI port on the dock which uses DisplayPort Over USB-C technology (which is directly GPU connected). The second and third displays on the dock -- the DVI and 2K HDMI ports using DisplayLink technology -- will no longer function. Windows and Chromebook computers are not affected, and will continue to work as usual.

TAKE ACTION

To continue to use all dock functions with your Mac, macOS updates must be disabled to remain on 10.13.3. To do so, uncheck the two highlighted boxes in the screenshot below. The boxes to uncheck (disable) are "Download updates in background" and "Install macOS updates" These are found in the "App Store" portion of "System Preferences" within macOS.
uncplayer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:50 PM   #115
Poly

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncplayer23 View Post
This new macOS release only supports displays which are directly provided by a GPU or via AirPlay.

For this dock, this means versions of Apple macOS after 10.13.3 will only support the single 4K HDMI port on the dock which uses DisplayPort Over USB-C technology (which is directly GPU connected). The second and third displays on the dock -- the DVI and 2K HDMI ports using DisplayLink technology -- will no longer function
Wow, this is huge! Did Apple just close the door for any DisplayLink technology for good?

Quote:

1. DisplayLink software installs and acts like a normal display on the host. It detects monitors connected through a DisplayLink device and presents them to the operating system (for example Windows) as if they were normally attached monitors.

2. The OS then creates frame buffers for each display and the OS puts the display content there. <- Is that the part where 10.13.4 breaks the driver, since it's not a Thunderbolt 3 device?

3. The DisplayLink driver then picks up the pixels in the frame-buffer, encodes them and send them to the DisplayLink device.

4. The DisplayLink device then decodes these frame buffers and presents them to standard video interfaces like VGA, HDMI or DisplayPort. An on-board frame buffer means the DisplayLink driver only needs to send changes to the screen content. It can also adapt the compression so that the link is shared equitably with other services while maintaining high quality.

Last edited by Poly; 03-30-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:59 PM   #116
Alanant

Just a heads up. I needed to reboot the DisplayLink device for my external monitors to show up after installing the 4.3 beta.
Alanant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:07 PM   #117
dolphinman

Thumbs up Urgent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
Dear all

As you have found, the released 10.13.4 update does not change the issues seen with the betas. It causes DisplayLink connected displays to go blank after the OS upgrade, with the current DisplayLink driver [4.1] installed. Functionality such as Ethernet and audio, where implemented, is unaffected. We have alerted Apple to this issue and have been working hard to find a resolution. These features continue to work as expected in 10.13.3.

In the meantime, we are releasing a new driver [4.3] that will enable clone mode, but not mirror or extended mode displays in 10.13.4. If you require mirror or extended mode displays, we recommend that you stay on macOS 10.13.3 at this time.

We understand that this loss of functionality on OS upgrade is potentially disruptive for our users and customers. Please be assured that this issue has the highest business priority in DisplayLink. We thank you for your patience and will provide an update on this situation, as soon as we have further information to share.

Wim
---------------------------
Please forgive the redundant question:
(Re: ASUS MB169B+ DisplayLink drivers for High Sierra 10.13.4 update).

How soon will you have this resolved (a week, a month)?
This is ultra urgent for me, as it is for others. Please let me know something.
Thank you so much!
dolphinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:00 PM   #118
tommiy

Reading between the lines given that the issue has existed throughout the beta's and has not been solved I think that you may say it could be a very long time before displaylink is functional again.

I tried to post a issue in the Apple forums related to this problem and it was removed because 'i ranted' over the poor quality of apple bug fix releases that break existing used functionality and is not disclosed in release notes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinman View Post
---------------------------
Please forgive the redundant question:
(Re: ASUS MB169B+ DisplayLink drivers for High Sierra 10.13.4 update).

How soon will you have this resolved (a week, a month)?
This is ultra urgent for me, as it is for others. Please let me know something.
Thank you so much!

Last edited by tommiy; 03-30-2018 at 11:07 PM.
tommiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:04 AM   #119
pmontelo

I'm going to give this a try, I hope this helps someone else out:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25593?locale=en_US
pmontelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:42 AM   #120
dolphinman

Thanks for the advice. I was hoping to stick it out for at least a week. I may just have to revert back to 10.13.3 and wipe all my data just so this puppy will work.
OR...I guess I'm shipping back and exchanging my ASUS MB169B+ (which was working beautifully with my MB Pro (mid-2015, retina) until the 10.13.4 update. Thanks.

Last edited by dolphinman; 03-31-2018 at 01:05 AM.
dolphinman is offline   Reply With Quote