Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 12-24-2016, 04:33 PM   #1
Carlo
Mac Team

Default Feedback about driver v3.0 beta 2

Hi All,

The little elves at DisplayLink have been working hard and have delivered a new beta at http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/osx

The purpose of this beta has been to keep the performance improvements whilst removing the artefacts introduced in beta 1. In our testing it has behaved well so we think it's worthy of you attention.

The feedback we have received about beta 1 has been extremely useful to us. Please let us know what you think about this new version.

Kind regards and happy Christmas,
Carlo

Last edited by Carlo; 12-24-2016 at 04:36 PM.
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:05 PM   #2
luckman212

I installed 3.0b2 a couple days ago and it is definitely "better" but still not all the way there. I have a lot of artifacting still when doing simple operations. I made a video -- I think that's the easiest way to show some of the glitches:

https://vimeo.com/197186133
luckman212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:32 PM   #3
phrogg

Default Update on 3.0b2

So what I'm seeing is that the mouse artifacts have gone away but the artifacts from the windows or the icons are still there. If I take two finder windows and run them near each other, the shadow of the top window will white out the bottom one vs being translucent. And if I drag a window over the other it artifacts the bottom window.

But this doesn't happen 100% of the time. I can start dragging it across quickly but when I slow down or stay on the other window long enough it goes into that mode. And the top window blanks white usually at the same point.

But its enough that I'll try to run with that second monitor on for another few days and see if its usable.
phrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 06:16 PM   #4
Khashoggi

Still have the overlapping window refresh problem. Acute with finder desktop. Any window dragged over finder desktop erases desktop to white.

2560x1600 displays
Khashoggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:21 AM   #5
Carlo
Mac Team

Hi thank you,

We're struggling to reproduce what is shown in the excellent video from luckman212 or any sort of window-over-window corruption.
Unless it's a mirroring setup of course, in mirror we can easily see similar issues, which are a problem introduced in macOS some time ago.

Are you using mirror? If not any specific setting maybe in Accessibility/Display?

One check you may want to do is to take a screenshot of the whole desktop when the issue is visible. Is the corruption visible also on the screenshot?

Best regards,
Carlo
Old 12-28-2016, 01:39 PM   #6
luckman212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
We're struggling to reproduce what is shown in the excellent video from luckman212 or any sort of window-over-window corruption.
Unless it's a mirroring setup of course [...] Are you using mirror? If not any specific setting maybe in Accessibility/Display?
Thanks, no I am not using mirroring. 3 independent displays: 2 native and 1 using a Plugable DisplayLink usb3 adapter. All 3 monitors are identical (Viewsonic VP2365wb) and running at 1920x1080 resolution. Nothing special in Accessibility, I do have "Reduce Transparency" turned on but I re-tested with it off and it did not make any difference on the corruption.

accessibilty control panel:

displays:

Quote:
One check you may want to do is to take a screenshot of the whole desktop when the issue is visible. Is the corruption visible also on the screenshot?
Ok I did this and actually the corruption *is* in the screenshot, which is a little interesting (I didn't think it would be). Is there any other info I can send to help debug further? I attached the screenshot of the corrupt desktop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg corrupt.jpg (20.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 12-28-2016, 07:10 PM   #7
phrogg

Default Video of the finder issues

Quote:
Hi thank you,

Unless it's a mirroring setup of course, in mirror we can easily see similar issues, which are a problem introduced in macOS some time ago.

Are you using mirror? If not any specific setting maybe in Accessibility/Display?

Best regards,
Carlo
I have the same settings in my Accessibility and Display as luckman showed. But I'm on 2 4K displays, one native on the multi-adapter on a Macbook, the other through the USB port.

I took screenshots and I find that it doesn't show the artifacts when I do that. Both when I do that as a full screen shot and when I grab a portion of the screen. Interestingly, when I grab the portion of the screen with Shift-Cmd-4 it actually whites out both of the finder windows as I travel over them while leaving the background normal. But in the image that is grabbed they show what is there.

So I have created a quickie video you can view to see what I'm seeing. I can do this in a higher resolution if you want but low res allowed doing this upload very quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBkdXS-q16A

Phrogg
phrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:25 AM   #8
justme

unfortunately beta 2 did not fix the problems i'm seeing.

the lower 2/3 of the desktop background of the displaylink scree are still white and the shadows erasing the contents behind to white is also still happening.
justme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:12 PM   #9
Carlo
Mac Team

Thank you for the information. It is really useful indeed.

We found what the trigger is (thanks to Christian from the team here, good he's around this week!).
To see all these issues you have to disable "Displays have separate Spaces" in the Mission Control system preference.

In all cases it looks like the contents we receive are corrupted but I can confirm Phrogg's finding that taking a screen shot forces the rendering of some contents so those corruptions won't be captured.
A quick test in 10.11 shows this is another regression in Sierra, unsure if something introduced in a minor update. We'll open a bug with Apple immediately.

As for the other defects already fixed in 10.12.1 and 10.12.2, the priority of this issue can be raised by opening more bugs with Apple at bugreporter.apple.com
We'd be grateful if you could open bugs there as well.

In the meantime you may want to enable separate spaces, currently the default setting in macOS. You won't be able to show windows across displays but there are quite a few advantages.

Thank you again for the feedback, keep it coming!

Best regards,
Carlo
Old 12-30-2016, 01:45 PM   #10
luckman212

Quote:
We found what the trigger is [...] To see all these issues you have to disable "Displays have separate Spaces" in the Mission Control system preference.
That is great to hear!

Quote:
We'll open a bug with Apple immediately. As for the other defects already fixed in 10.12.1 and 10.12.2, the priority of this issue can be raised by opening more bugs with Apple at bugreporter.apple.com. We'd be grateful if you could open bugs there as well.
Would be happy to open a case, but could you guys post somewhere the details or wording that you'd like us to use, so we can be sure all of the cases are linked together properly to generate the higher priority?

Quote:
you may want to enable separate spaces, currently the default setting in macOS. You won't be able to show windows across displays but there are quite a few advantages.
I haven't tried in a while but I remember not liking this setting when I first encountered it. What are some of those advantages?