Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 12-30-2016, 09:00 PM   #11
paultzirides

Default Much better with proper settings

Performance, stability, and graphical glitches have been greatly improved from their baseline state in this release. I'm loving the progress the teams is making - it's a huge leap from the days of 2.x and brings DisplayLink up to a level at which I can recommend using it again with macOS.

Once I checked the "Displays have separate spaces" option, I saw a further improvement in performance and decrease in visual artifacts. I am so happy with the way this is working now. Great job guys - keep up the amazing work.
paultzirides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 03:21 PM   #12
saudor

The new driver is improved. Maybe a notch faster. and transparency works well with it remaining on. However, it still significantly falls behind Duet Display where the experience is almost native. Not to mention that that one is passed over USB 2.0 connection (low bandwidth) and pushes a retina 2048x1536

What's interesting about DD is that they have an option of selecting either the dedicated GPU or the iGPU to process it.. which leads to me to think that there might be some kind of GPU acceleration involved. Now i dont know how DL does it but maybe DL can harness more of that power too. Comparing the two, the displaylink gobbles a ton of CPU while the DD does not go up as much for the same tasks

Last edited by saudor; 01-02-2017 at 03:23 PM.
saudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:55 PM   #13
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckman212 View Post
That is great to hear!

Would be happy to open a case, but could you guys post somewhere the details or wording that you'd like us to use, so we can be sure all of the cases are linked together properly to generate the higher priority?

I haven't tried in a while but I remember not liking this setting when I first encountered it. What are some of those advantages?
Hi luckman,

About the separate spaces bug simply describe the issue as you see it, attach your system profile and mention our own bug ID: 29825934

Off the top of my head some advantages of the separate spaces:
- Menu bar on all screens
- Full screen video on one screen does not blank all others
- Easier to keep all window contents in one screen

I'm sure the are advantages to the Spaces feature but I'm not using it enough to notice really. Maybe others can share their impressions.

Regards,
Carlo

Last edited by Carlo; 01-03-2017 at 03:11 PM.
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:25 PM   #14
phrogg

Default Blanking off and on

So I switched that preference and it makes the second screen really work pretty well! Overall I like that configuration and I'm not sure how I ended up with that choice turned off!

So things are much better in most respects. The one other issue I have been having is still there and finally got me to just pull the plug on that DL monitor.

I am apparently losing sync with it constantly. It was occasionally but it just kept happening more and more often to where it is now 3-5 times per minute. Both screens blank, it resets all of the windows onto the monitor attached to the built-in graphics card, then it blanks again as it sees the second monitor and puts things back on the DL monitor. This now reoccurs maybe 3-5 times per minute and is making working infeasible.

I am hooked up with a Macbook into the AV adapter where I have one 4K monitor via HDMI and a USB 3 connection to a USB 3.0 hub. That hub has a hard drive (for backups) attached and the DL adapter for the second monitor.

I can drop the hub and backup drive out of the middle of this, but is there any known issue with doing this over the AV adapter on a Macbook?
phrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:58 PM   #15
phrogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrogg View Post
I can drop the hub and backup drive out of the middle of this, but is there any known issue with doing this over the AV adapter on a Macbook?
Well dropping the hub out of the middle sure didn't help .

It happens often enough I can probably catch it on video if you really want to see.
phrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:16 AM   #16
luckman212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
some advantages of the separate spaces:
- Menu bar on all screens
- Full screen video on one screen does not blank all others
- Easier to keep all window contents in one screen
Thanks Carlo. To me having a menu bar on all screens is not really useful, plus it wastes some space. The rest of the features are good but for me, I noticed more crashes in WindowServer (or Finder? not sure which) when I had this option on. Mostly Finder would "freeze" and the menubar would start flickering very rapidly and I would get the spinning beach ball and have to force quit. For me having the option off is more stable, even though there is more artifacting as was seen in my video.

I will try to open a bugreport with Apple in the coming days and reference your bug 29825934

thanks.
luckman212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:16 AM   #17
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrogg View Post
Well dropping the hub out of the middle sure didn't help .

It happens often enough I can probably catch it on video if you really want to see.
Hi Phrogg,

By the description it looks like the device is falling off the bus. As we have found out investigating another report on the forum, both the 2015 and 2016 MacBooks have problems in keeping the USB3 bus going.

We'll probably have to raise a bug against the hardware for this one. We have to collect USB traces and everything.

If that is the issue (and you are indeed using a USB 3 device), the only workaround I can suggest for the moment is to force the system to use USB2 by using a USB2 cable or a USB2 hub. It should be OK for resolutions up to 2560x1440.

If the explanation does not apply to your case, please raise an issue following the instructions in http://support.displaylink.com/knowl...to-displaylink
Please collect the logs immediately after the screens have come back.

Kind regards,
Carlo
Old 01-05-2017, 10:39 AM   #18
seastwood

Default +1 dropping the bus

Yes, I've also moved to the new beta and there are both improvements and new problems.

Our company has just installed 170 workstations with Targus ACP77EUX DisplayLink docks, mixed Windows and Mac OS.

Our mac users are all on MacBook Pros, Sierra, attempting to use the internal display plus one external through the dock. (Currently on a DVI connection, switching to DisplayPort for higher resolution once the cables arrive.)

I've upgraded one machine to these new beta drivers and the 'dropped bus' issue is annoying, as others have reported above - occurring a couple of times a minute.

Is it just the video that's being reset, or ethernet, keyboard, external drives etc connected to the dock?

Thank you,
Simon
seastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:45 PM   #19
luckman212

I filed my bug with Apple this morning, #29881919
luckman212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:07 AM   #20
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by seastwood View Post
Yes, I've also moved to the new beta and there are both improvements and new problems.

Our company has just installed 170 workstations with Targus ACP77EUX DisplayLink docks, mixed Windows and Mac OS.

Our mac users are all on MacBook Pros, Sierra, attempting to use the internal display plus one external through the dock. (Currently on a DVI connection, switching to DisplayPort for higher resolution once the cables arrive.)

I've upgraded one machine to these new beta drivers and the 'dropped bus' issue is annoying, as others have reported above - occurring a couple of times a minute.

Is it just the video that's being reset, or ethernet, keyboard, external drives etc connected to the dock?

Thank you,
Simon
Hi seastwood,

If the issue is only visible with the new drivers it's something else and quite concerning. Can you please open a bug on support.displaylink.com with the logs just after the issue has happened?
Please follow the instructions in http://support.displaylink.com/knowl...to-displaylink

Best regards,
Carlo