Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 09:01 AM   #81
CodeKiller

Hello,

To see how big the impact is, you can just run a 2D games that does not require graphic card.
Then you will see that the System is using more ressources than the game itself !

Check that :

Same thing for the 3rd process, if I just move the window game on the main monitor (laptop) the CPU decreases.

Everything is updated on my side.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:21 AM   #82
Novi

Default Version 1709

Unfortunately, even in current Windows 10 Insider Preview fast ring (version 1709) we have bad performance on Dell XPS 13 with D3100 dock . Although the experience has changed like CSystems mentioned in his post.

CPU usage by the Windows Driver Foundation has decreased and actual graphical processes have improved (more fluent). All in all CPU usage is still unstable and very high. Mouse movement has lag on high CPU usage moments.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:46 AM   #83
toywrc

just wanted to share my observation regarding this problem... I also had the high CPU and memory usage, downloaded and installed latest update from displaylink (i have Lenovo USB 3.0 Ultra dock running dual monitors) still the same problem.

So adjusted performance settings to custom and just checked smooth edges on screen fonts and smooth scroll list boxes. Immediately upon applying settings CPU usage went down from 75% to 4%. So I guess thats a good workaround for now.

However when I let my wife log into her account (both are admin accounts) to check whether the performance settings were carried over to her profile... to my surprise it was still on the default "Let windows choose whats best" setting. Went to check CPU usage and they are all low usage 4%. Thought thats weird. basically we have identical profile and same apps loaded. Now I wonder if there is something wrong with my profile and all these problems are related to it.

I will try to create a new profile and log on to that.... will be reporting back.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:28 AM   #84
Manuel

8.4 Alpha
DisplayLink Manager 8.4.2262.0

Same bad performance.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:01 AM   #85
gball

Quote:
Originally Posted by toywrc View Post
just wanted to share my observation regarding this problem... I also had the high CPU and memory usage, downloaded and installed latest update from displaylink (i have Lenovo USB 3.0 Ultra dock running dual monitors) still the same problem.

So adjusted performance settings to custom and just checked smooth edges on screen fonts and smooth scroll list boxes. Immediately upon applying settings CPU usage went down from 75% to 4%. So I guess thats a good workaround for now.

However when I let my wife log into her account (both are admin accounts) to check whether the performance settings were carried over to her profile... to my surprise it was still on the default "Let windows choose whats best" setting. Went to check CPU usage and they are all low usage 4%. Thought thats weird. basically we have identical profile and same apps loaded. Now I wonder if there is something wrong with my profile and all these problems are related to it.

I will try to create a new profile and log on to that.... will be reporting back.
We have a user here that found a similar response to a new profile. Their profile, the CPU jumps up and the Windows Foundation service goes up to 30% as soon as you plug in the second monitor on the docking station. If you unplug that second monitor, it drops back down to normal.

If another user logs into their Dell XPS 1300 laptop (new profile) there is no issue with two monitors attached.

UPDATE: One of my co-workers has been working with tech support for the USB to DisplayLink port replicator. Their tech support could not figure out what was happening. However, it was suggested to try to a different monitor. We swapped out the Dell monitor for one that did not have USB extension ports on the monitor itself. Now the system is working fine with two monitors and no issues with high CPU usage.

Last edited by gball; 12-01-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:21 AM   #86
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeKiller View Post
Hello,

To see how big the impact is, you can just run a 2D games that does not require graphic card.
Then you will see that the System is using more ressources than the game itself !

Check that :

Same thing for the 3rd process, if I just move the window game on the main monitor (laptop) the CPU decreases.

Everything is updated on my side.
I don't believe the 2D game can decide if the graphics card is going to be used or not.
The Desktop Window Manager will compose your desktop through the graphics card. Then the pixels have to be encoded through DisplayLink Manager hosted in the WUDFHost process. One must not confuse computing graphics and encoding graphics...
The fact the game is 2D or not is not relevant. What is relevant is the image complexity and how often it changes and how efficiently it communicates changed zones to the OS. You may actually see lower performance on the native screen with lower appearance settings than some full screen 3D games because the latter will sometimes bypass DWM, cutting some time.

Having said this, there are still ongoing efforts on this front. We've done all the "quick wins" already and you will see the feedback confirms it. The remaining activities are long term investments. Long term as we started with the analysis a while back and I still don't have a releasable product... Yet, I have 2 teams in my programme dedicated to that feature. When we are closer to release time, I will be able to share details.
Microsoft is also working on improvements on the OS side.

But deep changes require careful planning, development and roll out not to break the millions of people using the product every day with corporations relying on it to work.

DisplayLink driver gets computed pixels. Driver doesn't see the Windows appearance settings, driver doesn't see windows, driver doesn't see icons: driver gets pixels. I will feed back that Windows appearance settings have an influence on WUDFHost CPU usage to try and understand why. Maybe some animations being removed means there is less to encode.
This needs to be reviewed.

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
Old 12-23-2017, 10:34 PM   #87
HYauser

Default Not depending on machine

Moin!

Maybe this is another clue:

same issue happens while using Microsoft Wireless Display Device with an Acer Switch Alpha SW-A271

High load of memory from wudfhost.exe when streaming video over this device until system crashes. No difference if display is mirrored or extended...
Old 12-24-2017, 01:28 AM   #88
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYauser View Post
Moin!

Maybe this is another clue:

same issue happens while using Microsoft Wireless Display Device with an Acer Switch Alpha SW-A271

High load of memory from wudfhost.exe when streaming video over this device until system crashes. No difference if display is mirrored or extended...
Which technology is it using? Miracast?

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
Old 01-25-2018, 11:17 AM   #89
tophee

Are the engineers still working on this issue?

I can add one detail that might be relevant: I noticed that whenever "Windows Driver Foundation" is high in CPU (around 40% in my case), Windows explorer is too (around 17% in my case). When I restart windows explorer, Windows Driver Foundation's CPU usage goes down to normal (about 5% or even less). It stays like that for a while and then it goes back to 40% (and windows explorer 17%).

Last edited by tophee; 01-25-2018 at 11:22 AM. Reason: added information
Old 01-29-2018, 09:16 AM   #90
CodeKiller

One interesting thing could be to force the refresh rate on monitors plugged in. If less images to process then less ressources to use I guess.
Closed Thread