Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 01-15-2018, 01:24 PM   #1
Fravin

Smile I have discovered some intersting

I were trying to figure out why my Dell XPS (9350) was so hot and with high CPU Usage when connected with Dell D-6000.

My actual rig is:
Dell XPS (9350) Qhd version - Windows 10 1709
Dell D-6000 connected by USB-C
Dell S2817Q @ 4k 60Hz via HDMI 2.0

I used to have about 40% of CPU Usage in idle. My temps was about 70~80C in idle. And poor performance while playing videos.

I have tried all the output ports in D-6000, with no difference at all. But I decided to try USB-A insted USB-C. As you may know, Dell's D-6000 is supposed to be hooked by USB-C but it has a huge adapter to work in USB-A 3.0 sockets.

And when connected via USB-A te computer suddenly has dropped temps to 50C and CPU usage to 8~15% in idle.

When oppening Photoshop and working with big images, the performance is quite excelent, never exceeding 70C. And all the bad things are now gone, like that horrible mouse lag.
Fravin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:19 AM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello Fravin,

That's indeed very peculiar.

When idling at 40% in USB-C mode, would you please be able to tell me what is consuming CPU from Task Manager?

Could you also use the last link in my forum signature to upload the ZIP of your log files? Please gather logs when you see the issue of everything lagging in USB-C mode.

The DisplayLink chip in the dock and DisplayLink driver don't see if it's a USB-C or USB-A connection in use: in both cases USB 3 standard is in use. That's why the adapter Dell ships attached to the cable is a passive plug changer only. It does however bypasses a few things in the dock which are USB-C only. This requires more digging.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote