Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 06-06-2018, 11:01 PM   #331
tommiy

Thanks for the continuing little to no information on any progress.

After half a year of the product no longer functioning on Macs I think we can the time of death as being back at the first beta of 1013.4.

Its obvious that there will be no progress to return the original capabilities on DisplayLink to Mac users and that we all just need to find another solution.

Appears that the security certificate for this site has also now expired and chrome, safari now state that the Site is untrustworthy.
tommiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:13 AM   #332
Wozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommiy View Post
Thanks for the continuing little to no information on any progress.

After half a year of the product no longer functioning on Macs I think we can the time of death as being back at the first beta of 1013.4.

Its obvious that there will be no progress to return the original capabilities on DisplayLink to Mac users and that we all just need to find another solution.

Appears that the security certificate for this site has also now expired and chrome, safari now state that the Site is untrustworthy.
I noticed this. DL certainly taking the eye off the ball here.

When will we see a final product.
Wozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:41 PM   #333
aehsmu

Default Beta works with mac OS Mojave dev. beta

I am an Apple Developer and installed the first beta of macOS Mojave.

The current DL beta does support one external monitor as described for High Sierra.

At least the current workaround will function with the next version of macOS.

Thank you DL, for your on-going efforts.
aehsmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:03 PM   #334
MC Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Update: June 6th
Dear DisplayLink macOS users,

Our team made solid progress towards finding a solution

Thank you for your extended patience. We appreciate your feedback and support.

Kind regards,
Alban
Solid progress? It's been over 5 months, I would not consider that solid progress. This is ridiculous.
MC Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:19 PM   #335
Poly

Any updates or hopes regarding macOS 10.4 Mojave functionality ?

By the way, your SSL Certificate expired and the main www.displaylink.com website is down! What's going on?

Does DisplayLink still exist as a company?

UPDATE: Seems to be fixed. A new SSL certificate was issued. But you still need to make www.displaylink.com run via HTTPS://

Last edited by Poly; 06-10-2018 at 02:47 AM.
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:04 PM   #336
tommiy

Has anyone found an alternative to doing multiple extended monitors from a MAC at a reasonable price and greater than 1080? Need to migrate away from Displaylink to use my second monitor effectively.
tommiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:07 PM   #337
daan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommiy View Post
Has anyone found an alternative to doing multiple extended monitors from a MAC at a reasonable price and greater than 1080? Need to migrate away from Displaylink to use my second monitor effectively.
Reasonable price is relative but the Sonnet Breakaway Puck is an alternative.
daan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:44 AM   #338
Poly

Quote:
Originally Posted by daan View Post
Reasonable price is relative but the Sonnet Breakaway Puck is an alternative.
It's not really an alternative, it's an eGPU and thus it requires a Thunderbolt 3 port. If you do have a Thunderbolt 3 port, you probably have 2-4 ports already and can conveniently connect your external screens directly, or you can use a port splitter and run two screens off one port. Latest MacBook Pros utilize Thunderbolt 3 ports only.

Not so much the single MacBook 12" port that is unfortunately only a USB 3 (5Gbit/s) port with a USB-C connector. Apple decided not to include the Alpine Ridge TB3 controller at the time of MacBook 12" release. Thus, DisplayLink was the only working solution for extended dual screen support.

Also nowadays, in enterprise environments there are often standardized work desks and meeting rooms that just have a single USB cord attached to a (hidden) port replicator utilizing DisplayLink technology to prevent staff ripping various cables apart and leave a mess after. That single cord solution works very well with Windows PCs but not so much with Macs anymore.

At home you can pretty much do what you want! Get a new Mac (with TB3 ports) or use e.g. a Matrox DualHead2Go adaptor for older Mac models or whatever. I'm stressing the struggle in enterprise environments here since the DisplayLink support was abruptly terminated by Apple with 10.13.4.

I'm tired of waiting and have rising concerns regarding security while keeping my Mac on macOS 10.13.3. Let's just hope that the DisplayLink team is working fast towards a solid solution.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:20 PM   #339
daan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
It's not really an alternative, it's an eGPU and thus it requires a Thunderbolt 3 port. If you do have a Thunderbolt 3 port, you probably have 2-4 ports already and can conveniently connect your external screens directly, or you can use a port splitter and run two screens off one port. Latest MacBook Pros utilize Thunderbolt 3 ports only.

Not so much the single MacBook 12" port that is unfortunately only a USB 3 (5Gbit/s) port with a USB-C connector. Apple decided not to include the Alpine Ridge TB3 controller at the time of MacBook 12" release. Thus, DisplayLink was the only working solution for extended dual screen support.

Also nowadays, in enterprise environments there are often standardized work desks and meeting rooms that just have a single USB cord attached to a (hidden) port replicator utilizing DisplayLink technology to prevent staff ripping various cables apart and leave a mess after. That single cord solution works very well with Windows PCs but not so much with Macs anymore.

At home you can pretty much do what you want! Get a new Mac (with TB3 ports) or use e.g. a Matrox DualHead2Go adaptor for older Mac models or whatever. I'm stressing the struggle in enterprise environments here since the DisplayLink support was abruptly terminated by Apple with 10.13.4.

I'm tired of waiting and have rising concerns regarding security while keeping my Mac on macOS 10.13.3. Let's just hope that the DisplayLink team is working fast towards a solid solution.
It's not an alternative in your use case. But it is an alternative to other use cases as stated in the question I answered.

As such it might also work as an incentive for DisplayLink to fix their product support before people jump ship.
daan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:14 PM   #340
justaskingaquestion

Default Does this apply to new MBP with TB3 ports?

I have one of the newest MBP 15in with TB3 ports, and I've been sticking with MacOS 10.13.3 ever since this problem emerged for fear of losing my display. Looking into it again, I see some confusing reports about whether this problem only exists for older models or if it is an issue for me as well. Can somebody help clarify?

I have

2017 MBP 15in with 4 TB3
Dell P2715Q 4k display, though I've been running it at 2560x1440 because everything is too small otherwise (I've only ever connected to this display via DisplayLink so I don't know if directly connecting gives me any more flexibility here)
I also use DisplayLink for mouse/keyboard/ethernet
I used to use DisplayLink for audio, though I've found that to be a very poor quality connection, especially when the computer is doing any heavy lifting.

With this setup, if I upgrade to 10.13.4 or later, will I still have to use the workaround via AirDisplay? If so, will I be able to use 2560x1440?

If I am limited to 1080p, does anybody have any recommendations for alternate hardware/hubs that can meet my needs in newer MacOS? When I bought this late last year I thought DisplayLink was the ticket, but maybe not?
justaskingaquestion is offline   Reply With Quote