Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 10-07-2018, 05:44 PM   #1
smithgcovert2

Default Apply Watch Unlock / DisplayLink / Screen Sharing

I have found that sometimes, when my mac is hooked to my DisplayLink monitor, the automatic-unlock function with the Apple Watch no longer works.

I get a prompt at the login like this:

"Unlocking with Apple Watch is not available while your screen is being shared"

I believe that this is because the DisplayLink driver is somehow causing the Mac to think screensharing is turned on -- as I know I don't have any other screen shares active. If I disconnect the usb display prior, Apple Watch unlock seems to work again.

I just want to know if anyone else is seeing this, and if my assumption is correct. This is not a huge deal to me, as the monitor works for me and that's more important. But if its not DisplayLink driver causing it, I want to go investigate what else it could be. IE, I'd just rather know for sure than to guess or assume.

Thanks,
Greg
smithgcovert2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:49 AM   #2
akprasad

I can confirm that I have identical behaviour with Apple Watch.

This was when running release 4.3 beta 6 on a 2018 MacBook Pro. I also had problems viewing any content from YouTube or sites with video such as BBC News where the video would simply freeze on the first frame.

All problems were fixed by removing the Displaylink software. Now waiting for the fix for 2018 MacBooks if it ever comes.
akprasad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:15 PM   #3
rmc2000

I am also experiencing this behavior. I figure it will be ignored by DisplayLink just like every other issue.
rmc2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:25 PM   #4
Loki Wolf

Displaylink has sent this issue to Apple, saying it is on them. I really like their hardware, but man they need to get a better relationship with Apple!
Loki Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 04:50 PM   #5
SCM

I am experiencing the same with 2018 MBP and 4.3 beta 6.

This is really a DisplayLink issue.

These 'hacks' to extend displays using Airplay is colliding with security measures Apple implemented a while back.

Once DisplayLink can figure out how to get back to presenting itself as a true hardware display extension, the issue will be resolved.

SCM
SCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:48 PM   #6
paultzirides

I checked into this a number of months back - this is an issue that manifests with any third-party display drivers (Duet Display, Air Display, DisplayLink, etc.). The basic idea is that these USB-based solutions can be insecure, or, if coming from a disreputable developer, can intercept the secure communication between the Mac and Apple Watch, which would compromise security for all Apple Watch users. If a malicious actor can reverse-engineer the way Apple securely authenticates and unlocks the workstation, they'll have the keys to the kingdom. To mitigate this, Apple prevents this function from working completely when any third-party USB-based display is connected.
paultzirides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:45 AM   #7
SCM

The basic gist is correct though not tied to an interface type (USB/Thunderbolt/Etc). If the provider (DisplayLink) cannot adhere to a secure hardware solution, therefore succumbing to a software emulation type it can't be secured.

It's worked in the past, DL knows the issue, it will work when they get around to it.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:28 PM   #8
MickeKling

I can also confirm that the AW-unlock if not funktion with DL-installen.

I have also trouble with the screen zooming function.
MickeKling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:48 PM   #9
SCM

Interesting, just upgraded to MacOS 10.14.1 and displaylink is no longer using Airplay. Extended display to one monitor is working fine and also unlock with Apple Watch!

I have not changed the 4.3 beta 6 drivers yet to 5.x since its working at the moment.

Time will tell!
Old 11-07-2018, 08:18 PM   #10
SCM

Well that was short lived, only worked after on reboot. All issues still remain regardless of 5.0.1 or 4.3.beta 6.

DisplayLink... any updates to this issue and Mac 2018 capability without AirPLay?!

Steve