Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2023, 09:05 PM   #1
tylerp

Default MacBook Air M1

Hello,

I have an external LG UltraFine monitor connected via one of my two USB-C ports.

In the second USB-C port I plugged in a Plugable 11-in-1 USB-C Hub. I have a Lilliput A11 field monitor that I connected via HDMI to the Plugable Hub.

I have DisplayLink Manager 1.9.0 installed and was under the impression this would allow me to have a 2nd external display (the Lilliput A11) as a work-around to the Apple M1 limitation of allowing only one external display.

Unfortunately, it does not work and the Lilliput A11 is not receiving any signal.

I added a power pass-through to the Hub, but that did not make a difference.

Did I misunderstand what was possible with DisplayLink Manager? Am I using a Hub that is not supported and switching to a different device would work? Is this a limitation of the Lilliput A11 monitor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Tyler

Last edited by tylerp; 08-28-2023 at 09:37 PM.
tylerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 11:15 AM   #2
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerp View Post
Hello,

I have an external LG UltraFine monitor connected via one of my two USB-C ports.

In the second USB-C port I plugged in a Plugable 11-in-1 USB-C Hub. I have a Lilliput A11 field monitor that I connected via HDMI to the Plugable Hub.

I have DisplayLink Manager 1.9.0 installed and was under the impression this would allow me to have a 2nd external display (the Lilliput A11) as a work-around to the Apple M1 limitation of allowing only one external display.

Unfortunately, it does not work and the Lilliput A11 is not receiving any signal.

I added a power pass-through to the Hub, but that did not make a difference.

Did I misunderstand what was possible with DisplayLink Manager? Am I using a Hub that is not supported and switching to a different device would work? Is this a limitation of the Lilliput A11 monitor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Tyler
My impression based on your description is that you are using this specific product --> https://plugable.com/products/usbc-11in1e Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Presuming for the moment that my impression is in fact correct, according to the information Plugable provides the product you are using does NOT have DisplayLink technology inside of it.

A product must have DisplayLink technology inside of it in order for the product to work in conjunction with the DisplayLink Manager Application. Since your product does not have DisplayLink technology inside of it, DisplayLink will not be able to assist you in this specific case.

The product you are using appears to be based on DisplayPort MST hub technology, which is compatible with Windows and ChromeOS computers (Chromebooks). Macs do not support DisplayPort MST, so at best the product you are using would allow you to add one additional display only to an Apple M1 Mac. The manufacturer speaks to this detail here --> https://plugable.com/products/usbc-1...-compatibility

An alternative product from the same brand that does have DisplayLink technology inside of it would be this one --> https://plugable.com/products/usbc-6950pdz
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 09:49 PM   #3
tylerp

Thank you, this is so helpful. I really appreciate it!

-- update --

I purchased the hub you recommended and it works perfectly. Thank you once again!

Last edited by tylerp; 08-31-2023 at 04:33 PM.
tylerp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple m1