Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2021, 01:17 AM   #1
Vince
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 3
Thumbs down M1 - Multiple Displays and Rotation

Hi there,

I know this has probably been posted several times, but I couldn't stay silent about how disappointed I am in DisplayLink.

Not supporting rotation on displays on M1 machines is one thing, but showing that DisplayLink now supports multiple displays on the front page of the website is false advertisement...

I can not use multiple displays if my Mac does not support rotating my 2nd display and this lack of communication has led to people buying docks and realizing afterwards that they can't work with their vertical display. Go and peep the
suggestion on DisplayLink.com: https://support.displaylink.com/foru...ion-on-m1-macs

Sure there's this article:
https://support.displaylink.com/know...cos-big-sur-11

But it's been saying that the feature has been under development for a year now, but no updates whatsoever. It would be great to at least know what is bottlenecking DisplayLink from adding that feature that's been under development for so long.

Any ETA would be great, whether it's a month or a year or if you don't know, that's OK too. M1 Mac users are just left completely without any support.

Is there a beta or an alpha release some users could test? Or is that not possible because of the limitations there are?

I am, like hundreds or thousands of people, really looking forward to having more information regarding this issue.

Thank you.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 02:11 PM   #2
JakubDabrowski
DisplayLink Tech Support
 
JakubDabrowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Katowice, Poland
Posts: 266
Default

Hello,

Thank you for posting on our forum.

Even if we understand you wish to use at least one display rotated, multiple display support does not require rotation for most users who use two or three monitors side by side.

We are in discussion with a third party about this functionality but non-disclosure agreements in place do not authorize us to disclose any detail.

So please be sure that we are working on it but we cannot simply provide our users with any kind of ETA.

Kind regards,
Jakub
JakubDabrowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 03:31 AM   #3
Vince
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 3
Default

Thank you for your reply, Jakub.

It is a little more clear, we're still pretty much left in the dark but I assume the update could come in the next few months or never.

With that in mind, for anyone who's been having the same issue, I returned my docking station and will be buying the HP Z27K. I will be able to use that computer as a dock as it has multiple USB 3 ports, also has daisy-chaining and works natively with Thunderbolt 3.0. It is only around 500 bucks (my docking station cost me 300), and it also charges the laptop, unlike most docking stations.

I will then use the remaining Thunderbolt 3 port for my vertical monitor with which I will use USB-C to HDMI.

I think this should work, but either way, I won't have to be dependent on updates from DisplayLink.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 05:54 AM   #4
Vince
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 3
Default

Hey everyone,

Quick update.

So I returned my StarTech Docking station I got from Amazon and bought the USB-C Dell UltraSharp 27inch IPS dock monitor and it is honestly the BEST decision I've made. Unfortunately, DisplayLink is promising but I don't think it's quite ready yet for M1 Macs.

I highly advise going for a USB-C monitor, preferably those with over 70 watts so they can charge your laptop at the same time and also act as a hub. This works so smoothly and no need for drivers. Works seamlessly out of the box!
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 01:57 PM   #5
Lalegator
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
Hey everyone,

Quick update.

So I returned my StarTech Docking station I got from Amazon and bought the USB-C Dell UltraSharp 27inch IPS dock monitor and it is honestly the BEST decision I've made. Unfortunately, DisplayLink is promising but I don't think it's quite ready yet for M1 Macs.

I highly advise going for a USB-C monitor, preferably those with over 70 watts so they can charge your laptop at the same time and also act as a hub. This works so smoothly and no need for drivers. Works seamlessly out of the box!
But you can use only one monitor, right?
Unfortunately for us who need rotation still no support on DisplayLink rotation. Other than that, great software than enabled me 2 monitors on M1 MBA.

Last edited by Lalegator; 09-02-2021 at 02:00 PM.
Lalegator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 03:31 AM   #6
rtech73
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakubDabrowski View Post
Hello,


Even if we understand you wish to use at least one display rotated, multiple display support does not require rotation for most users who use two or three monitors side by side.

I think this is a bold and brazen assumption. I think anyone who is persistent enough to want multiple M1 monitors is probably the kind of person that wants to have their monitors exactly the way they want them, and rotation is NOT uncommon and unless you have done a survey of all of your users, this is an assumption you should not make. Also, this kind of response does not build good customer relations. You've basically said "yeah, you're weird, no one does what you want, so quit complaining. Your most vocal advocates are often those people that want very particular solutions. Your devices by their very nature are niche, so please I would ask you to refrain from downplaying the needs of your most ardent advocates, who have stuck with you through an entire year of "we're working on it". If you wish to survive, you must to better. I've had my left monitor rotated for years as a files display while editing video (where I need vertical landscape, not horizontal). It's been very frustrating to be strung along this long and then basically patted on the head in a patronizing manner. Do better.
rtech73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 12:20 PM   #7
edre
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtech73 View Post
I think this is a bold and brazen assumption. I think anyone who is persistent enough to want multiple M1 monitors is probably the kind of person that wants to have their monitors exactly the way they want them, and rotation is NOT uncommon and unless you have done a survey of all of your users, this is an assumption you should not make. Also, this kind of response does not build good customer relations. You've basically said "yeah, you're weird, no one does what you want, so quit complaining. Your most vocal advocates are often those people that want very particular solutions. Your devices by their very nature are niche, so please I would ask you to refrain from downplaying the needs of your most ardent advocates, who have stuck with you through an entire year of "we're working on it". If you wish to survive, you must to better. I've had my left monitor rotated for years as a files display while editing video (where I need vertical landscape, not horizontal). It's been very frustrating to be strung along this long and then basically patted on the head in a patronizing manner. Do better.
I couldn't agree more.
edre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 02:00 PM   #8
anand
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 1
Default

Hi Team,

Actually we are facing issue in MAC the new version of display link for mac is not supported in below two models.

HP Thunderbolt Docking 230W G2 Workstation
HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 with Combo Cable

getting error."no monitor detected" so could you please confirm the version 1.5 for mac is supported for the above models or not.

And why getting this error any suggestion
anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 12:02 PM   #9
rboerner
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand View Post
Hi Team,

Actually we are facing issue in MAC the new version of display link for mac is not supported in below two models.

HP Thunderbolt Docking 230W G2 Workstation
HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 with Combo Cable

getting error."no monitor detected" so could you please confirm the version 1.5 for mac is supported for the above models or not.

And why getting this error any suggestion
The two HP docking stations you reference do not appear to have DisplayLink technology within them. As a result, DisplayLink will not be able to help.
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 03:21 PM   #10
davss
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtech73 View Post
I think this is a bold and brazen assumption. I think anyone who is persistent enough to want multiple M1 monitors is probably the kind of person that wants to have their monitors exactly the way they want them, and rotation is NOT uncommon and unless you have done a survey of all of your users, this is an assumption you should not make. Also, this kind of response does not build good customer relations. You've basically said "yeah, you're weird, no one does what you want, so quit complaining. Your most vocal advocates are often those people that want very particular solutions. Your devices by their very nature are niche, so please I would ask you to refrain from downplaying the needs of your most ardent advocates, who have stuck with you through an entire year of "we're working on it". If you wish to survive, you must to better. I've had my left monitor rotated for years as a files display while editing video (where I need vertical landscape, not horizontal). It's been very frustrating to be strung along this long and then basically patted on the head in a patronizing manner. Do better.
I also agree. Jakub, it's happened before to us when DL didn't update drivers for over 8-9 months leaving customers with no ability to connect to external monitors AT ALL when upgraded to the latest macOS version. We had to downgrade and stay on specific version with no ETA from DL when you'd fix it. This also had security implications i.e. running OS X on an unpatched version just to be able to use external monitors. 1-3 months we can live with it but more or no ETA is simply unacceptable and soon or later DL will find yourself out of jobs becuase people will be fed up and simply buy hardware capable of running multiple minitors natively. I was already there and switched to MBP 16 becuase of it. Unfortunately, that Intel MBP was a piece of c and bad hardware design with multiple issues hence sold it on after a month of use. However, should DL fail again I'll be switching from my MBA M1 to the new MBP 16 M1 Max without any hesitation thus ditching completely DL from my setup. I've had my monitors vertically most of time purely for reading techniical documentation, web development and terminal operations. After DL failure to provide this feature have had to rearrange my setup, change my desk for wider to be able to use them in horizontal mode. I'd still go back to vertical as soon as this feature is back working.

I'm currently using Dell 49" connected/charging my MBA M1 (macOS 11.6.1, DL 1.4.0) via single USB-C. 3 other Dell 2515H via DL adapters are connected to USB ports on this Dell 49" so all 4 monitos are simply receiving video from a single USB-C cable that's also charging my MBA M1 on one of the two available USB-C ports. This has been working beautifuly most of the time but every time macOS update comes out it's a very stresful lottery as I have no guarantee DL will still work on it... so rolling back updates and loosing almost a day to set up again my working environment is a massive waste of time. I have a strategy now to wait until someone confirms critical things in DL are working fine but it's never a guarantee as every setup may differ. I also don't understand why DL are not developing against Apple's beta or other releases for other web developers in order to make their software compatible and ready for the new release? Also, why don't we have a central dashboard on this forum pinned to the top simply stating what will work and break in developed by Apple updates (my attempt was here but it always gets pushed further and further down: https://www.displaylink.org/forum/sh....php?t=67606)?.This would let customers know what to expect e.g, in the next macOS update or major upgrade and that DL are still working to fix each issue with an ETA instead of allowing cusomers to be their guinea pig and waste their valuable time?

Cheers,
David

Last edited by davss; 11-03-2021 at 04:31 PM.
davss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mac, rotate, rotation, silicon, support

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.