Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac OSX 1.7 Release
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
blovatt

Default iSight (and external) web cams don't work after Display Driver 1.7 b3 installed

After installing 1.7 b3 and restarting, I found that my web-cam (both iSight and a usb logitech camera) would not display an image -- i just see solid grey.

The cameras do power up - the green light comes on for the iSight and the blue light on the logitech too...

Once I removed the driver and restarted the cams worked again.

Note that I tried installing several times and each time the same thing happened.

Also, I tested the cams with Skype, iChat and FaceTime -- all the same results.

In case it matters, I'm running a MBP 15" (mid 2009) with Lion from the AppStore...

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1
Old 08-08-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
ChristianP

Quote:
Originally Posted by blovatt View Post
After installing 1.7 b3 and restarting, I found that my web-cam (both iSight and a usb logitech camera) would not display an image -- i just see solid grey.

The cameras do power up - the green light comes on for the iSight and the blue light on the logitech too...

Once I removed the driver and restarted the cams worked again.

Note that I tried installing several times and each time the same thing happened.

Also, I tested the cams with Skype, iChat and FaceTime -- all the same results.

In case it matters, I'm running a MBP 15" (mid 2009) with Lion from the AppStore...

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1
I think your model is equipped with both the NVIDIA 9600M GT and the NVIDIA 9400, isn't it? If is this the case, I think the problem is related to the Apple issue with this specific chipset. Could you please try to use only the 9600, disabling the automatic graphics switch option in System preferences-Energy saver and see if the problem is still there? Thanks
Old 08-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
blovatt

Default sorry for the delayed response

Sorry for the delay - I've been traveling for work and unable to spend any time on this.

So you are correct - I have both the 9400 and 9600.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "automatic graphics switch option"...

I see an option for better battery life vs higher performance... and I see an "Automatically reduce brightness before display goes to sleep"...

Are either of these what you are referring to?
Old 08-16-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
bz101

I had a similar issue. In display preferences, is the main monitor (i.e., the one that has the menu bar) being displayed from the mini display port or from the USB device? Make sure it's the mini display port that has the menu bar by going to the device preferences --> appearance tab --> and drag the menu bar in the images to the monitor that is being run by the display port.

I have a different chipset so maybe it's a different issue. But give it a try.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
ChristianP

Quote:
Sorry for the delay - I've been traveling for work and unable to spend any time on this.

So you are correct - I have both the 9400 and 9600.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "automatic graphics switch option"...

I see an option for better battery life vs higher performance... and I see an "Automatically reduce brightness before display goes to sleep"...

Are either of these what you are referring to?
Ok, use the option for better battery life vs higher performance and select higher performance (in some systems the radio button is replaced by a check with the "automatic graphics switch option" label).
As for the iSight issue, you could also try to set the main internal screen as the primary and see if the issue is still there.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
blovatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bz101 View Post
I had a similar issue. In display preferences, is the main monitor (i.e., the one that has the menu bar) being displayed from the mini display port or from the USB device? Make sure it's the mini display port that has the menu bar by going to the device preferences --> appearance tab --> and drag the menu bar in the images to the monitor that is being run by the display port.

I have a different chipset so maybe it's a different issue. But give it a try.
The mini display port is running my "primary" display... but I also have the built-in screen open as a secondary screen... and the USB adapter running a third screen.

I will experiment with running without the mini-display port in use as well as without the built-in LCD.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
blovatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianP View Post
Ok, use the option for better battery life vs higher performance and select higher performance (in some systems the radio button is replaced by a check with the "automatic graphics switch option" label).
As for the iSight issue, you could also try to set the main internal screen as the primary and see if the issue is still there.
Ok - I'll have to get to this a little bit later today -- I will re-install the driver and let you know what I find.

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2011, 02:37 PM   #8
bz101

Quote:
The mini display port is running my "primary" display... but I also have the built-in screen open as a secondary screen... and the USB adapter running a third screen.

I will experiment with running without the mini-display port in use as well as without the built-in LCD.
Definitely try without the computer's LCD open so you only have two with the menu bar on the display port monitor.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:41 PM   #9
blovatt

Default works if built-in LCD is primary screen...

So even with the 9600 graphics card in use exclusively, the same problem occurs. However, if I move the tool-bar over to the built-in LCD (thus making it the primary display, the cameras start working again.

Not sure if this means that the driver needs to be updated or if apple needs to update something...

When is the GA (or next beta) displayLink driver going to be released?