Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 04-07-2016, 10:45 PM   #1
steverod

Default Instability after upgrade to 10.11.4?

I have a 2015 MBP 13" Retina, and a plugable USB 3 docking station with DisplayLink monitor (& network too). I'll disconnect at the end of the day and reconnect the next morning. The 2.5 driver has been, not super reliable, but at least stable -- after a few days, the DisplayLink chip will stop getting recognized but I can continue using the primary display (it's worse to have to reboot than to lose the extra display).

Since upgrading to 10.11.4, everything has gotten a lot less stable. If the display goes to sleep while the DisplayLink is connected (e.g. lunch), when I come back the display is unresponsive - if I'm lucky, the DL display stops updating and I can continue working, but more often than not, the entire machine becomes unusable (apps don't go away, etc).

The dreaded "distnotesd using all the CPU" problem is back big time.

Has anyone else seen this with 10.11.4? I have reinstalled the 2.5 DL driver, to no avail. After 3 reboots in 2 days (each reboot takes >45 minutes to recover my personal state, which is why I hate doing it), I'm trying to figure out what to do, if it's worth just uninstalling entirely.
steverod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:21 PM   #2
nanners

Having same type of issue since updating to 10.11.4 El Capitan. The monitor will receive power but no longer be recognized. The screen will show a computer with a blue usb plug. DisplayLink drivers are running in activity monitor. Reinstalled displayLink drivers multiple times and then restored computer back to factory default, reinstalled drivers.. Still not working. This is crippling
nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:02 AM   #3
Carlo
Mac Team

To Steverod: I have exactly the same on my setup. It too started happening with 10.11.4 but we can't be 100% sure it's a new issue: some problems are known to happen only on some systems after a SW upgrade (annoying!). We'll investigate. Unplug/replug resolves it for me.

To nanners: that seems a different issue. Make sure the device is recognised in System Profiler, HW->USB section. If not, not much can be done by the drivers!
If recognised, please raise an issue at support.displaylink.com

Kind regards,
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:48 PM   #4
TwerkingCorgi

@Carlo

Just to piggy back off of steverod, I appear to be having the same issue with the DisplayLink 2.5 drivers since updating to OS X 10.11.4. I sent an email in detailing the issue, but I never received a response back from DisplayLink support. Here is the email:

I am currently using the latest Display Link driver for my Mac OS X 10.11.4 with a Targus USB dock, but having some issues. My setup is two monitors 1x HDMI and 1x DVI from the docking station.

When I am working my DisplayLink drivers will crash for seemingly no reason. I try power cycling the dock and unplug/plug the USB connection, but nothing seems to recover the driver. All other peripherals on the USB are functioning correctly and the issue seems to be isolated to the monitors.

Testing done so far:

* Used another mac OS X 10.11 (one minor version down) - Works
* Power cycling - Fails
* Uninstall/Install DisplayLink driver - Fails
* Power cycle docking station - Fails
* Unplugging/Pluggin monitors - Fails
* Replaced entire docking station - Fails
* Replaced USB to docking station - Fails

All of my testing seems to point to some issues with the OS X DisplayLink drivers. I have run the DisplayLink diagnostics tools and gathered some data. I will also include the most recent diagnostic report from /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports for the DisplayLink driver.

My thoughts are it may be an issue with the minor update to El Capitan (10.11.4). I am hoping this will help diagnose the issue.
TwerkingCorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:29 PM   #5
luckman212

Coming here to +1 this

Never had too much instability before, the DisplayLink monitor was SLOOOOW but at least it worked. There were a few "bad apps" that I had to be extra careful with - iTunes, Photoshop mostly come to mind - using these on the DisplayLink screen would almost always cause a crash.

But since upgrading to 10.11.4 and DL 2.5.1 drivers I have had my DL display "freeze" or lock up several times, and the only thing that fixes it is shutting down and rebooting (power cycling) everything.

I have opened so many bug reports with Apple but they get completely ignored, the oldest one is close to 2 years old at this point. I am ready to give up and just buy a single large screen and forget about multi-displays on Mac. So sad but that is what the reality is at this point
luckman212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:17 AM   #6
Carlo
Mac Team

Hi All,

Can I please ask to be very specific about what "crashing" means?

I can think about a few options:
- All DisplayLink screens freeze, in this case what kind of recovery is necessary?
- All DisplayLink screens blank, in this case what kind of recovery is necessary?
- The system kernel panics. Reboot required
- The user is logged out and all applications are forcibly closed
- All screens freeze, in case does unplugging USB help or is a restart needed?
- There may be others

Thanks luckman212 for the description, I think we've seen the same issue (so we have logs) but unfortunately it's not very reproducible on our side even with 10.11.4. We'll try again.

Kind regards,
Carlo
Old 04-25-2016, 06:00 PM   #7
TwerkingCorgi

@Carlo

Crashing in my case means all displaylink screens freeze. Unplugging/plugging or powercyclying does not solve the issue.

Now I cannot even get my displaylink screens to connect. I can get it to work by uninstalling/installing drivers and rebooting. However, this typically lasts ~2 minutes then the displaylink screens freeze again.

Hope that helps.
TwerkingCorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:17 PM   #8
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwerkingCorgi View Post
@Carlo

Crashing in my case means all displaylink screens freeze. Unplugging/plugging or powercyclying does not solve the issue.

Now I cannot even get my displaylink screens to connect. I can get it to work by uninstalling/installing drivers and rebooting. However, this typically lasts ~2 minutes then the displaylink screens freeze again.

Hope that helps.
Hi,

If you have not done it yet, can you please open a ticket at support.displaylink.com including the debug information?
This issue looks quite and we may be able to help!

Best regards,
Carlo