Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 07-03-2016, 08:37 PM   #1
cmdillon

Default better mac icc profiles for asus mb169b+ monitor

hi!

there seems to be a need for better icc color profiles for mac. i'm using asus mb169b+ portable monitor and the colors are not very good. there is a real problem with the subtile greys, they are not getting displayed.

hopefully there will be something done about this.
cmdillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:48 PM   #2
stfm

I have tried to make colour profiles for the MB169+, but it's hard. It seems the response curve is fixed, or not passed to the monitor. It's possible to adjust colours and gamma (in a fashion), but it's very unpredictable and you can't see any changes as you make them. I'm going to try a hardware calibrator when I get to my office, but I don't think it will work.

I have settled on a profile with Gamma 1.9, which keeps a bit of highlight, while not darkening the shadows too much.

Does anyone know if the limitation of adjustments is a monitor issue, or a thing that could possibly be fixed in Displaylink? It seems to be Displaylink that makes calibration impossible.
stfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:08 PM   #3
stfm

Here are two icc-profiles. The one named 1,9 in the end is the one I use, and there's one for better highlights called "y"

EDIT: Use this link instead of the attached file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...169profile.zip

EDIT2: Go here to download the new, improved, profile.
http://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64630
Attached Files
File Type: zip ICC.zip (18.0 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by stfm; 07-14-2016 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:49 AM   #4
icatalina

For some reason I can't download from the forum, can someone post a link or send me the icc.zip file? kind regards
icatalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:03 PM   #5
stfm

Quote:
Originally Posted by icatalina View Post
For some reason I can't download from the forum, can someone post a link or send me the icc.zip file? kind regards
Maybe you need to be an admin to download? I can't either. Either way I'm not at home, so I can't provide a link now. I'm going to try to make a better profile, then I'll update with links to download.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:29 PM   #6
stfm

Here is a hardware profile for *my* Asus mb169+ monitor. Sample variation may result in the profile not working as well for you, but it's probably better than the default. I got much better definition in highlights. It's not perfect, but it's the best I can do. And it's on par with a lot of mainstream monitors, which the default profile is not.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...169profile.zip

EDIT: If you try it, please report back with your own findings.

Last edited by stfm; 07-11-2016 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:50 PM   #7
icatalina

Hey! Thanks a lot! It looks better than the original one...
icatalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:28 PM   #8
cmdillon

hey, stfm! thanks a lot! that really makes a difference, now i can see some subtle greys again. still have some issue with finder, but i think it maybe another issue altogether. see image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jkvz92ntyq...09-21.png?dl=0
Old 07-11-2016, 04:51 PM   #9
stfm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdillon View Post
hey, stfm! thanks a lot! that really makes a difference, now i can see some subtle greys again. still have some issue with finder, but i think it maybe another issue altogether. see image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jkvz92ntyq...09-21.png?dl=0
Yes, there is still some missing highlights. I don't think I can do much about that without direct controls to the hardware. Asus probably punched up the curve so it would look brighter. I'll look into it more later, but I think this is good enough for now.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:06 PM   #10
cmdillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stfm View Post
Yes, there is still some missing highlights. I don't think I can do much about that without direct controls to the hardware. Asus probably punched up the curve so it would look brighter. I'll look into it more later, but I think this is good enough for now.
yeah, i think you are right. the white balance is crazy high. well thanx again for all your efforts and i look forward to any updates that you might provide.