Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 07-19-2022, 01:04 AM   #1
m89

Default M1 Mac Both External Displays Detected, Only One Visible

I currently have a 13 inch 2020 M1 MacBook Pro with Monterey and the latest DisplayLink installed. My external displays are a Dell E2220H and an Asus TUF VG249. I just got a Plugable brand DisplayLink dock, here. Both displays use DisplayPort cables plugged into the dock, though I have tried using an HDMI cable with the Asus and still have this same issue.

With this setup, both displays are shown as being detected in the DisplayLink menu. The Dell monitor works as expected (extending the MacBook display), but the Asus remains black. Windows can be dragged to the Asus but nothing is visible.

When I connect a Lenovo ThinkVision display (using HDMI) into the dock instead of the Asus, the Lenovo and Dell both work correctly, extending my MacBook's display. The only way I have had both the Dell and Asus work correctly at the same time is to plug the Dell into the Plugable dock and the Asus into a Dell DA310 adapter I have. This causes both displays to work but is not an ideal solution given that it uses both of the USB-C ports on the laptop.

Is there anything I am missing that I can do to get both my Dell and Asus displays working at the same time? I would like to find a solution that allows both to be plugged into the Plugable dock, so that my other USB-C port is still available.
m89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 12:08 PM   #2
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by m89 View Post
I currently have a 13 inch 2020 M1 MacBook Pro with Monterey and the latest DisplayLink installed. My external displays are a Dell E2220H and an Asus TUF VG249. I just got a Plugable brand DisplayLink dock, here. Both displays use DisplayPort cables plugged into the dock, though I have tried using an HDMI cable with the Asus and still have this same issue.

With this setup, both displays are shown as being detected in the DisplayLink menu. The Dell monitor works as expected (extending the MacBook display), but the Asus remains black. Windows can be dragged to the Asus but nothing is visible.

When I connect a Lenovo ThinkVision display (using HDMI) into the dock instead of the Asus, the Lenovo and Dell both work correctly, extending my MacBook's display. The only way I have had both the Dell and Asus work correctly at the same time is to plug the Dell into the Plugable dock and the Asus into a Dell DA310 adapter I have. This causes both displays to work but is not an ideal solution given that it uses both of the USB-C ports on the laptop.

Is there anything I am missing that I can do to get both my Dell and Asus displays working at the same time? I would like to find a solution that allows both to be plugged into the Plugable dock, so that my other USB-C port is still available.
According to the information here --> https://www.asus.com/us/Displays-Des...Gaming-VG249Q/ your Asus display supports a maximum refresh rate of 144Hz.

Typically, DisplayLink-based products support a maximum refresh rate of 60Hz. This difference makes me wonder if the higher than expected maximum refresh rate of the Asus display is a contributor to the unexpected behavior.

1. Is the Asus display's presence recognized within the macOS 'Displays' System Preferences application?

2. If the answer to #1 is yes, if you manually set the refresh rate for the Asus display to 60Hz does that change the behavior?
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
m1 mac, m1 macbook pro, mac, macbook, macos monterey