Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2013, 12:59 PM   #91
jmagee87

Default Still having lag issues

I have upgraded all drivers and BIOS. I'm using the new driver WIM posted and changed power settings to high performance.

Lenovo X1 Carbon 3444-52U
Windows 8 Enterprise
jmagee87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #92
xuggs

Yep.. still laggy and slow I am afraid. I am on high performance power plan, beta build, Win 8 Ent.. heck I tried every single driver they have listed.

I hope you can fix it.
xuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #93
xijio

Still having issues. Fuzziness is gone w/ latest drivers, but mouse still freezes all the time. Ugh so frustrating. It's been months.

Lenovo X1 Carbon Touch. Win 8. Lenovo USB 3.0 Dock. Latest drivers/bios.
xijio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:16 PM   #94
ThePhantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by xijio View Post
Still having issues. Fuzziness is gone w/ latest drivers, but mouse still freezes all the time. Ugh so frustrating. It's been months.

Lenovo X1 Carbon Touch. Win 8. Lenovo USB 3.0 Dock. Latest drivers/bios.
Bizarre. I'm using a Twist (low-rent X1 ), Win 8, with a Plugable dock -- and I'm still living large.

Are you using a wireless mouse? If so, try sticking the receiver on an USB extension cable. That made all the difference for me (still don't quite know why, as the receiver was plugged into a presumably interference-free 2.0 port).

I don't know much about the Lenovo dock, other than that the reviews on Amazon scared me enough to scoop the Plugable instead. Given that they ultimately all use the same driver set, I'd be surprised if Lenovo could have botched it up that badly, but then again...
ThePhantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #95
xijio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantom View Post
Bizarre. I'm using a Twist (low-rent X1 ), Win 8, with a Plugable dock -- and I'm still living large.

Are you using a wireless mouse? If so, try sticking the receiver on an USB extension cable. That made all the difference for me (still don't quite know why, as the receiver was plugged into a presumably interference-free 2.0 port).

I don't know much about the Lenovo dock, other than that the reviews on Amazon scared me enough to scoop the Plugable instead. Given that they ultimately all use the same driver set, I'd be surprised if Lenovo could have botched it up that badly, but then again...
This is why your wireless mouse works now: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...nce-paper.html

(sidenote: how the hell did they agree to this protocol with that large of a glaring bug)

I was using a wireless mouse, but stopped months ago because of that interference nonsense. I'm now using a wired one.

my mouse lags and jumps across the screen instead of moving smoothly. I have to choose to either use the mouse and dual monitors and suffer, or try to get my work done on a 14" screen. ugh. This is been going on too long.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #96
ThePhantom

Quote:
This is why your wireless mouse works now: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...nce-paper.html
Yes -- the DisplayLink guys here cite this issue frequently. The odd thing in my case is that the Plugable's USB ports on the rear of the unit are 2.0 ports, yet the problem still exists when plugged directly into those. I presume that the USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports on the front may share the same ASIC, and perhaps the interference is using the traces to the 2.0 rear ports as a wireguide for the interference. Or, maybe they're *all* 3.0 ports, and they just don't label the rear ones as such -- I dunno...

Sorry to hear that your rodent experience is still poor, even with the wired mouse. Is there any latency with, say, reading/writing to a USB key or hard drive? I wonder if the bus on your Lenovo dock is behaving poorly entirely, or just with HID devices...
Old 06-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #97
xijio

Angry It's so bad I can't get my job done.

Something happened recently. Now my computer is basically unusable while docked. The mouse lag is insanely bad to the point that it jumps across the screen an inch at a time. The network performance is degraded so webpages and files load very slowly. Moving windows around the screen stupidly slow. It was working ish for the past few weeks and the mouse would only freeze once every few seconds now it is like I'm using a 10 year old computer even though it is a top of the line lenovo.

It has been MONTHS since this problem was identified. The amazon reviews show that everyone hates this crap and its ruining your reputation. Please give this problem the attention it is clearly widespread and clearly a major problem. I can't do my job because of this and that isn't okay.

As I'm typing this sentance the characters are bunching up and appearing in groups because the shitty displaylink software can't keep up with the input. It s currently using 8-10% CPU and all I'm doing doing is typing on a webpage. It feels like I'm working over a shitty VNC connection on dialup.

I'm running the latest drivers (according to lenovo's driver update software)
I'm up to date in windows update
I'm running the latest usb 3.0 dock driver from lenovo's site
I'm running the latest dock firmware
I'm running the latest beta drivers from wim on this forum
I've got power management set to high performance mode
I stopped using a wireless mouse and am using a wired one
I'm running the latest graphics drivers

I don't know what else to try, I'm at your mercy. Please fix this. Please.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:41 AM   #98
ThePhantom

Quote:
Something happened recently. Now my computer is basically unusable while docked.

<snip>
Hate to say it, but perhaps the thing to try is a non-Lenovo dock. Given that all these docks use the same DL chipset (and their associated drivers), you would think that they'd behave remarkably similarly.

While my initial experience with the Plugable UD-3000 was a little rocky at first, it's been operating very well recently. I frequently swap between my MacBook Air and the Lenovo Twist, and things generally don't miss a beat (the exception being the missing USB 3.0 sound on the Mac side, coupled with some wired ethernet quirks on the Mac). GigE, Logitech Wireless mouse, a power hungry IBM Model M mechanical keyboard (with PS/2 to USB adapter), 1920x1080 DVI display... All just fine.

While I jokingly referred to Lenovo botching things in an earlier post, perhaps it's not a joke after all -- given that Lenovo has nearly smashed their solid IBM heritage to bits, it wouldn't be entirely surprising.

Perhaps Wim, or the other DL guys here, can possibly suggest whether something Lenovo has done (fatally in the hardware, or perhaps in some custom firmware for their dock) could contribute to the misery that's posted here.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #99
xijio

Quick question for all affected users:

Are you using one monitor or two? I'm using two and I'm thinking maybe it's a USB bandwidth issue on Windows 8?
Old 06-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #100
ThePhantom

Quote:
Quick question for all affected users:

Are you using one monitor or two? I'm using two and I'm thinking maybe it's a USB bandwidth issue on Windows 8?
I (unaffected user) use 1, as the Plugable only has 1 DVI port anyway (and I'm sort of out of desk space )

A single uncompressed 32-bit DVI signal should consume about 3Gb/sec -- the DVI/HDMI spec has provisions for 10Gb/sec, however. Clearly, 2 X 3Gb would outpace USB 3.0's 5Gb/sec, but... my understanding is the DL drivers are compressing the video signal prior to sending out over USB. In addition, I assume they're only transmitting deltas, making bandwidth consumption fairly low. My only evidence of this is the fact that an older USB 2.0 computer runs acceptably well in the same configuration...

Tags
input device, lag, windows 8