Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: 5.2 Software Release

Old 02-24-2010, 03:37 AM   #1
SamC

Question Fail to install DisplayLink successfully

I have a Gateway tablet laptop with a Intel Core Duo processor and a Intel 945GM video chip. The machine is running Windows Vista SP2.

When I first installed the software, it successfully installed the Core Software. As it proceeded to install the Graphics software, the green bar that is for indicating progress advanced to "100%" before it retreated to zero. Then the installation process stop without completing the installation. I uninstalled the software and tried again. The same problems were repeated.

Then for some unknown circumstances, both the Core and Graphics software were installed. I then reboot and plugged in the adapter, the system tried to install the drivers and indicated it has successfully installed the drivers. But all this time, the green light on the adapter never lighted up.

I then rebooted and nothing. The green light didn't come on and the adapter didn't work, although the device manager indicated the driver was installed and good.

I tried this many time and failed to make it work.

I then tried it on a different laptop that runs XP. The installation was smooth and successful. And the adapter worked as described.

I then installed a new copy of Vista without SP2 on my first laptop, the installation was again successful and the adapter worked.

But it won't work on the Vista SP2. I have used software to clean out the Registers, invalid installation links. I even used the DL Cleaner, but no go. Any idea? Thanks.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
Wim

Hi

If you are having install problems, can you follow this article and let us have the logs. This will tell us why the install failed:

http://kb.displaylink.com/270

Thanks

Wim
Old 02-24-2010, 05:41 PM   #3
SamC

Hi Wim, Thanks for the response. I have logged the failed installation. I am not sure if I can attach the log here, but here it is.

I also have a couple of error reports from the Debug folder when the software installation was successful but the drivers installation failed. If you when to look at them, I can send them to you too.

Sam
Attached Files
File Type: zip 20100224_093111.zip (9.79 MB, 1665 views)
Old 02-25-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
Wim

Thanks for the log files. We'll take a look. It appears that the software has successfully installed eventually.

One thing I have noticed is that your Intel driver version is quite old:

"Graphics Driver: 7.14.10.1147 Dated: 12-12-2006"

Can you try updating this and see if that solves the issue you are seeing now the software is installed?

Thanks

Wim
Old 02-25-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
SamC

Wim,

Actually the installation had failed. As I have described in the first posting, it installed the Core software fine, but when it came to install the Graphics, the green bar that indicates the progress started to retreat when it got the the end (finish). The DisplayLink Graphics fold was never installed. I would think the monitor file would show that.??

I have tried to update the graphics drivers already, but the system said it was the most up-to-date and best driver. If you know there are better drivers for the Intel 945GM chipset, please direct me to where I can get them. Thanks.

I have also indicated if I tried to install DisplayLink in a freshly installed system (re-install Windows Vista without SP2), the DisplayLink installation was fine. The software install worked, the drivers install worked. The display and everything work. So I don't think it was the problem with the drivers.

Last edited by SamC; 02-25-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:14 AM   #6
SamC

Problem solved!

I decided to install a dual boot with a new copy of Vista in the second partition. I installed Displaylink there and it worked beautifully. So, it has something to do with my primary Vista, but I don't know what it is.

I am sending the reply to you on my HD TV.

Thanks Wim.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:54 AM   #7
Wim

Glad you've got it working. However the intel drivers in your previous post are old for Vista. Looking on the Intel site, the latest Vista 32bit drivers are:

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Windows Vista * 32 (exe)
7/3/2008
15.​8.​3.​1504

I'd recommend using these with DisplayLink if you're not already on your new Vista partition.

Thanks

Wim
Old 03-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #8
SamC

Hi Wim,

I did installed the latest graphics driver on my newly installed Vista, but not on the old one. I have used the DL on the TV as an extended desktop for a few days and it worked flawlessly. But yesterday when I played a avi with DivX player, the movement on the screen was really jerky and stutter, not smooth at all.

I read through the postings on this forum and found others had this very similar problem. Is there any solutions to that? I have installed the 5.3 beta and it didn't help.