Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 10-23-2017, 12:10 PM   #1
davidmaxwaterman

Default problems shutting down since trying to fix DisplayLink

I have:

Ubuntu 17.04
Dell XPS 13 9360
Intel® Core™ i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz × 4
Intel® HD Graphics 620 (Kaby Lake GT2)

Dell D3100 Docking Station

I've been hacking around trying to get this D3100 thing working under Ubuntu. It was working 'ok', but now not at all. But worse still, I can't shutdown the computer - it reverts to a login-type screen that accepts my password, but just returns to the screen. Switching to a console I find that I can't even type my username. So, my only recourse is to hold the power button down until it switches off.

Looking in syslog, this seems concerning:

Code:
sysfs: cannot create duplicate filename '/devices/platform/evdi.0'
kobject_add_internal failed for evdi.0 with -EEXIST, don't try to register things with the same nam      e in the same directory.
though, which some kind of kernel error, I'm not entirely sure if that is specifically related to the shutdown. I'll try to do a more isolated attempt so I can see from the timestamp. I'll add what I find, but if anyone has any steps to try so I can at least shut down my computer reliably, that'd be awesome.
davidmaxwaterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:15 PM   #2
davidmaxwaterman

Hrm, this time I tried a `halt -p` and that actually did power off the system, so at least I've got that. Previously, I was trying the shutdown from the system menu, or `shutdown` from bash....I'll try that again, just to see.

OK, I found that shutting down was working, so I was trying to figure out what had changed (apart from making this thread)...and it was that I had disconnected the monitor from the dock. If I plug it in, then I can't shut the computer down...

Any ideas how to fix this?

Last edited by davidmaxwaterman; 10-23-2017 at 12:23 PM.
davidmaxwaterman is offline   Reply With Quote