Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 09-18-2018, 12:29 AM   #531
MC Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlockuk View Post
I'm starting to experience similar things - I regularly undock/redock the machine and on re-docking there's usually a 50/50 chance the screen will be mirrored again or the wrong resolution (and blurry). All I can do there is un-plug and replug until it works - that might work for you if it's only mirroring?
Yeah me too. I experience the same exact thing. This is getting out of hand.
MC Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:25 PM   #532
Pbowater

So, with Mojave (non-beta) less than a week away, can anyone at DisplayLink give us an indication of whether their fix is ready for this?

I'd like to upgrade, and have both monitors working properly again.
Pbowater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 01:01 PM   #533
AlbanRampon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbowater View Post
So, with Mojave (non-beta) less than a week away, can anyone at DisplayLink give us an indication of whether their fix is ready for this?

I'd like to upgrade, and have both monitors working properly again.
What I understood from internal testing and feedback since 30th July is that the functionality was restored, with better quality than before (clamshell, rotation...)
The main item left to address on Mojave is some 2018 model with a fix having to be validated before distribution.
Me commenting on another company's readiness/work quality is inappropriate, so won't happen. You may either contact the other party or take the feedback from other users who are using this.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:01 PM   #534
Pbowater

@Alban, thanks for the quick reply, that does sound encouraging, doubt I will be the first person to try it out though

One thing I will mention, on the AirPlayed screen I am using at the moment, when the CPU is loaded up a bit with other things it starts to become a little unworkable, mouse starts skipping across the screen, and apps are slow to update the screen. Will this be improved in the move to Mojave?

Thanks again,

Peter.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #535
AlbanRampon

Arrow

You're welcome Peter,
On Mojave, we don't (need to) rely on AirPlay. We use the same OS documented API we were using before, with our own encoder. That means similar performance to what you would have had on 10.13.3, plus improvements brought since by the OS, our driver and our firmware changes.
Our adaptative encoder has better quality, resolution and latency than the AirPlay route. That's why we wanted to go back to it. Also, we can drive more displays.
The encoder is similar technology that used in the wireless VR adapter released by HTC, where low latency and quality are unavoidable requirements.

There are other, more fundamental, improvements planned as well. They are long term and this is too early for me to be able to disclose content at this stage.

I think it would be interesting to review your use case on the standard implementation. If you still have these impact, we should review what is taking place to make sure that is covered in the plans.

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:24 PM   #536
cmdub

I sent an email about this yesterday but I've not had much luck getting the newest v5.0 beta driver working on a Mid-2017 MacBook on the latest Mojave beta. Only getting black screens with cursor. Same experience using v4.3 beta 5/6 on the latest Mojave beta.

Last edited by cmdub; 09-18-2018 at 07:44 PM.
cmdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:51 AM   #537
Pbowater

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
You're welcome Peter,
On Mojave, we don't (need to) rely on AirPlay. We use the same OS documented API we were using before, with our own encoder. That means similar performance to what you would have had on 10.13.3, plus improvements brought since by the OS, our driver and our firmware changes.
Our adaptative encoder has better quality, resolution and latency than the AirPlay route. That's why we wanted to go back to it. Also, we can drive more displays.
The encoder is similar technology that used in the wireless VR adapter released by HTC, where low latency and quality are unavoidable requirements.

There are other, more fundamental, improvements planned as well. They are long term and this is too early for me to be able to disclose content at this stage.

I think it would be interesting to review your use case on the standard implementation. If you still have these impact, we should review what is taking place to make sure that is covered in the plans.
This is all very, very good news Alban, thanks so much for expanding on the tech involved.

To expand a little on my setup, I have :

MacBook Air Mid 2012 with an di& and 8GB -so Mojave compatible unless I am very much mistaken
2 22" 1680x1050 Samsung monitors

Dual output Targus Dock: https://www.targus.com/uk/dual-video...ion-dock120euz

I ran this with good performance before mistakenly upgrading the OS one point beyond safe.

My set up now is one monitor plugged in via the lightning port and a DVI adapter, and one plugged into the Dock with one of the Beta drivers working it via AirPlay.

If I am using Chrome on the lightning-ported monitor, viewing this page which uses WebGL, for example: https://www.raf.mod.uk/aircraft/lightning/#cloudBgd , the AirPlay monitor, where I write my code is very slow to update mouse position, typing, app updates and dialogue box changes.

Moving my mouse pointer over to the lightning-ported monitor and the mouse cursor movements and screen updates are perfectly normal. Same for the built in MacBook monitor.

I can only assume that as AirPlay is not using a graphics adapter, that it is using the main CPU quite intensively, and therefore introducing 'lag' of sorts.

This is a development machine, and can be quite hard pushed at times, but even with closing known CPU hogs down this still appears.

Hope that helps a little?

Other stuff is very encouraging and I look forward to testing and reporting once on Mojave and running two screens via DisplayLink

Thanks,

Peter

Last edited by Pbowater; 09-19-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:30 PM   #538
marcio.camuati

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlockuk View Post
Ouch. In that case I have no idea. Maybe try the previous driver, beta 5 if you can get it?

I had real problems getting this one working, it was a re-install followed by about 15 minutes of fighting to get the monitor to be used as a monitor.

Just to check, on the Airplay icon up top, is 'Use as a separate display' selected / selectable?
I think that my problem is that my MacBook is 2018 model. I came back to the Airplay version and I will wait a fix to my model.

Thanks!
marcio.camuati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:22 PM   #539
Rymek

So I just bought a dock with DisplayLink chip and USBC connector and i'm having the same problems as above (black screen with cursor only visible, 15" 2018 MBP).

But more important question is. When you guys release the fix, will I be able to use both DP connectors from the dock to connect 2 monitors? Some people say over the net that connection through usbc only supports one external monitor....

Is that true?
Rymek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:07 AM   #540
warlockuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
You're welcome Peter,
So... that means there'll never be proper support for the current OS? It's a hard sell to update to Mohave on launch from a corporate point of view and this airplay driver is pretty much unworkable.

I took my laptop home, got back to work today, plugged in and it fades each display in and out being posessed until it gives up setting airplay. The airplay screen is currently black. Yay.
warlockuk is offline   Reply With Quote