Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 09-26-2018, 10:57 AM   #561
Pagany

Default Feedback

As an IT support in company that has like 100 MacBook Pro devices i can confirm the following. New drivers 5.0 are working on all models except on models from 2018, where we can see only black screen with cursor on extended mode. Previous models are working like a charm. Because we suggested our employees not to update Mac OS version 10.13.4 to 10.13.6 they were using old 4.3 drivers, when they did an upgrade to Mojave now all the old drivers worked like a charm as well. So my question is how come all the models are working properly except for the ones made in 2018.. Isnt software the same? How come the hardware can make such a difference in a device that is only passing through and not doing any hardware acceleration? And when can we expect fix for devices made in 2018?
Pagany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:03 PM   #562
brossow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbowater View Post
You might be, but no need to take it out on me

The 5.0 cleaner was what did it for me.
Wasn't "taking it out on you" -- was simply asking what you considered proper cleaning, since nothing I tried worked. I think you misunderstood my comment/question.
brossow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:34 PM   #563
Pbowater

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowShooter View Post
Everything back to normal for me on 10.14 Mojave using version 5.0 driver - we got there in the end, thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfonso View Post
I can confirm that DL 5.0 also works with upgrade to Mojave 10.14.

1. upgraded to Mojave
2. downloaded DL 5.0
3. ran uninstaller from 5.0 (and restart)
4. installed 5.0 (and restart)
5. plugged in dock, and it dual extended mode works
6. docked/undocked a few times and it continues to work.

Note: I had to do Steps 2-4 a few times.
1st time I did while docked.. this was unsuccessful.
2nd time i did while undocked, and only docked after install/restart and that worked for me.
My experience as well, now I think about it, I undocked it before trying the second time using the 5.0 cleaner.
Pbowater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 04:22 AM   #564
krw1243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbowater View Post
OK, so not entirely smooth, but am back up and running.

The uninstaller that comes with 4.3 failed to uninstall itself, but by running the 5.0 uninstaller, that worked, so after multiple reboots, and a successful 5.0 installation, I have two monitors back up and running on my MacBook Air mid-2012. Prior to being able to clean things properly( but with 5.0 installed), I had the black screens, with just a mouse pointer and thought I was in a right pickle...

Performance is better, much, much better, the mouse no longer skips across the screen like it did when running 3D stuff in the browser (e.g. https://www.raf.mod.uk/aircraft/lightning/ ) . Previously it would slow down even if I de-focused the browser tab, or hid it behind another tab, now, I do still get a slow down, but nothing like before.

Checking activity monitor, when viewing the above page the DisplayLink drivers are hogging between 75 and 132% of CPU. I really don't think it should be doing that if I am honest with you.

So, at the moment, many, many steps forward (and a lot less cables) so definitely a win, but looking forward to 5.1 for sure.

For those with blank screens, try the proper cleaning routine and see what happens, nothing to lose but some time.

Thanks to the DL team.
Yay! You are my hero! I was having the black screen with just a mouse cursor on my early 2015 macbook air, and using the 5.0 uninstaller and reinstalling 5.0 fixed me! I would not have likely thought to try this if it was not for your post.
krw1243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:19 AM   #565
Pbowater

Quote:
Originally Posted by brossow View Post
Wasn't "taking it out on you" -- was simply asking what you considered proper cleaning, since nothing I tried worked. I think you misunderstood my comment/question.
Well, no, I didn't. But I was also *trying* to inject some gentle humour in there, which also appears to have been lost

Old 09-27-2018, 09:41 AM   #566
Pbowater

Quote:
Originally Posted by krw1243 View Post
Yay! You are my hero! I was having the black screen with just a mouse cursor on my early 2015 macbook air, and using the 5.0 uninstaller and reinstalling 5.0 fixed me! I would not have likely thought to try this if it was not for your post.
Good news, thanks krw1243!
Old 09-27-2018, 11:12 AM   #567
Roisin

Having been following this forum for 9 months now, I downloaded Mojave as soon as it was released. I then uninstalled beta 4.3. Installed beta 5. Uninstalled beta 5, Reinstalled beta 5. Undocked and repeated the cycle (probably 4 times now) and my external screen stll won't work. I'm not even getting a black screen with mouse. The screen doesn't even wake up.
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)
Anyone got any ideas?
Please help

Last edited by Roisin; 09-27-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Roisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:25 PM   #568
Pagany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roisin View Post
Having been following this forum for 9 months now, I downloaded Mojave as soon as it was released. I then uninstalled beta 4.3. Installed beta 5. Uninstalled beta 5, Reinstalled beta 5. Undocked and repeated the cycle (probably 4 times now) and my external screen stll won't work. I'm not even getting a black screen with mouse. The screen doesn't even wake up.
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)
Anyone got any ideas?
Please help
Did you give permission to installed drivers in privacy and security?
Pagany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:15 PM   #569
Pbowater

Uninstall and reinstall without the DisplayLink device connected.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:24 AM   #570
Roisin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagany View Post
Did you give permission to installed drivers in privacy and security?
Under security & privacy -> accessibility, the DisplayLinkUserAgent box is ticked, yes. This was ticked from before and I did not have to re-allow.

Have tried uninstalling and re-installing without being connected to the dock (a couple of times)

Thank you for your suggestions though. Any more tips appreciated.
Roisin is offline   Reply With Quote