Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 07-17-2018, 09:16 PM   #1
smithgcovert2

Default Best way to disconnect / connect with v4.3 beta 5/6

I am using Mac OS 10.13.6, with v4.3 beta 5 driver version.

I'm lucky - the airplay solution works good enough for me. Its the resolution I need, with the landscape I need, and I only have 1 monitor. The old drivers on 10.13.2 worked much better, but, eh, I don't want to relitigate that here.

What I do want is to learn to live with this driver "better". And I have an issue now I can't figure out:

I can boot my machine, and attach the monitor via DL adapter, and it all works. However, if I disconnect the USB adapter, I can not get the monitor to work again until I reboot.

I would like to be able to restart the monitor in "separate display" mode upon reconnecting the adapter. Has anyone found the most successful way to do this? I am totally willing to do something (command line / UI) before I disconnect, before/after I reconnect -- but have no idea what I should be doing.

Any process or procedure would be preferable to rebooting my machine each time I want to use the monitor.

Thanks,
Greg
smithgcovert2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:09 PM   #2
smithgcovert2

OK, after some experimentation, this is what seems to work best for me. Hopefully this will be useful to someone else:

- Lets assume you just rebooted, with DisplayLink adapter connected, everything came up correctly as "separate display"
- Now you want to disconnect the display. Just disconnect, pull the plug.
- Airplay will still be "active" -- meaning the icon is blue, and it thinks the display is still there. Click on Airplay Icon, and "Turn Airplay Off"
- if you don't do this, then there will still be an "invisible" display with possibly stuff on it, that you can no longer see. Turning airplay off will move those windows back to your main displays
- When reconnecting the display, don't press anything! It seems like the a "DisplayLinkUserAgent" Accessibility thing can sometimes take a few moments to do its thing. If you try to turn on airplay manually, it can seem to mess up the flow.
- Sometimes its like the built in "mirror only" driver and the airplay driver conflict with each other. The display is only mirrorred, and you actually get the option in Airplay to "mirror the DisplayLink" display. Which is totally weird. If this happens, disconnect the adapter again, stop airplay again, and wait a bit, and try plugging it back in again.

Usually after a few tries, I can get my separate display back again. This is still better than doing a full reboot for me.

Hopefully this helps someone. I wish I knew more about how this was all working, instead of just trying over and over again. These are the processes I can see:

DisplayLinkManager
DisplayLinkUserAgent
DisplayLinkAirPlayBridge (2 of these -- sometimes? All the time?)

I don't know how all of these really interact with each other. Would love to have some kind of technical details about what's doing what, and how to restart them.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:14 PM   #3
smithgcovert2

I also see (on my machine) the following process:

73YQY62QM3.com.displaylink.DisplayLinkAPServer

All the cpu seems to be used by DisplayLinkManager and DisplayLinkUserAgent. I'm not sure why DisplyLinkUserAgent has to take up so much cpu -- seems like it would only be to press the buttons for you automatically, but maybe its doing something else?

Can someone who understands the details of this architecture tell us what these processes do and how to manage them?