Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 11-27-2014, 02:18 PM   #31
jb510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
Hi ehendrix,

Sorry for going quiet on this one. Yes we think this is a good workaround, we could apply it at install time.

We'd use
? [= Sender WindowServer] [=S Message_CGXGLDisplayContextForDisplayDevice] ignore

Unless anyone can spot any issue with the approach?

Cheers,
Carlo
Note that the above declaration is missing a space between Message and _CGX... should be
Code:
? [= Sender WindowServer] [=S Message _CGXGLDisplayContextForDisplayDevice] ignore
jb510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:59 PM   #32
BMT

Quote:
Hi ehendrix,

Sorry for going quiet on this one. Yes we think this is a good workaround, we could apply it at install time.

We'd use
? [= Sender WindowServer] [=S Message_CGXGLDisplayContextForDisplayDevice] ignore

Unless anyone can spot any issue with the approach?

Cheers,
Carlo
Hi Carlo, the string you proposed is formatted incorrectly, it would need to be as follows instead else it won't work:
? [= Sender WindowServer] [S= Message _CGXGLDisplayContextForDisplayDevice] ignore

I've confirmed the above works as intended.

PS. Make sure to put the string at the top of asl.conf else it won't work! (Due to other rules taking priority over it and cancelling out the effect). I'm not sure if S= or =S (as you proposed) makes any difference, but I've only ever seen it as S= which is why I put it that way round.

Also, if you're thinking of doing this automatically you should make sure to check there's not already a string containing _CGXGLDisplayContextForDisplayDevice OR WindowServer in asl.conf, as people may have already added the same or a different string to stop it from happening already.

Edit: Looks like someone else beat me to it, I've been trying to post this for the past few days but kept getting forum errors each time I did. The 4th page of the topic wasn't even showing up until I posted my message! Weird.

Last edited by BMT; 11-27-2014 at 11:10 PM.
BMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 10:44 AM   #33
Carlo
Mac Team

Thank you BMT and others,

Will take your advice, hopefully won't find issues with this change.

Cheers,
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 11:01 AM   #34
jb8748

My view is that the DisplayLink installation should not edit the global asl.conf file in any way. I don't think it's the right approach for installers to alter system files when there are other alternatives.

You should use an ASL module, like I outlined in my blog post. My reasoning is:
1) asl.conf can be overwritten at anytime by a system update
2) it is clear who has requested that these stop entering the log - and this itself is logged when ASL starts
3) ASL will/should deal gracefully with cases where people have multiple 'claims' on the messages
4) Removing this (such as when uninstalling the drivers completely) becomes trivial as it's one file to delete. Removing an edit to asl.conf, which may have been subsequently edited, isn't going to be reliable.

Just my thoughts. Looking forward to this making it into the standard installation.

James
jb8748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:41 PM   #35
ehendrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb8748 View Post
Thank you ehendrix. That does look like a better command - I'm no expert on the logging so I was finding things that worked. I've updated my blog post.

James
As I see it, this was all team work. I would have never come to this if it weren't for your blog post and postings from others. :-)
ehendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:37 PM   #36
BMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb8748 View Post
My view is that the DisplayLink installation should not edit the global asl.conf file in any way. I don't think it's the right approach for installers to alter system files when there are other alternatives.
While I would normally agree that it's bad to alter system files, the method you outlined in your blog post has never worked for me - editing asl.conf is the only method that has.
BMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:30 PM   #37
luckman212

I thought that it was "fixed" but I noticed today these logspam messages continue to appear for me even as of v2.4 (Jul 3 2015) so I had to re-enable this patch.
luckman212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 03:49 PM   #38
dude123

Sadly this has become a topic again under 10.12 Sierra. My syslogs get hit by 60.000 messages per second. And none of the above hints helps, also the asl-config coming with the displaylink 3.0 driver doesn't help. Anyone an idea about this?
dude123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:28 AM   #39
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude123 View Post
Sadly this has become a topic again under 10.12 Sierra. My syslogs get hit by 60.000 messages per second. And none of the above hints helps, also the asl-config coming with the displaylink 3.0 driver doesn't help. Anyone an idea about this?
Can you please copy and paste the log message? It may be a new one.

Kind regards,
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:18 PM   #40
dude123

Quote:
Can you please copy and paste the log message? It may be a new one.
Yes sure!

Code:
 No matching context for device (0x7fe957c26f90) - disabling OpenGL
Sender:
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SkyLight.framework/Resources/WindowServer
(/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SkyLight.framework/Versions/A/SkyLight)

Subsystem:
com.apple.SkyLight
dude123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windowserver