Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 03-07-2018, 10:29 AM   #1
cros82

Default Windows 10 USB port - Single Use

Hi, I have windows 10 pro, all the updates are installed, I done a fresh install also, however I still get the same problem, the dock works fine for the first couple of uses in each usb port, but then it just stops working and is not seen in the device manager. Has anyone experienced this problem and got a solution? thanks
cros82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:01 PM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello Cros,

I think what might happen is an update kicks in sometime after the first connect. But if there's nothing in Device Manager (even in error or unrecognised), that's very low level so before the driver is loaded: Windows needs to identify a device before deciding which driver to use.

Would you please be able to connect everything as it should be working (but isn't), and the collect logs (see last link of my forum signature on how to create the ZIP with our tool). Then please upload them here as only DisplayLink employees can download them.
It would be helpful if you could also tell me how you get it working in the first place: is that just plugging the device (and therefore getting the driver from Windows Update), or do you install a driver through our SETUP.EXE or a corporate package (MSI/INF)? If a manual install, which driver version do you run?

The logs will give me the current "non-working" status along with the last events around DisplayLink driver but also Windows Update (setupapi.*.log).
Logs will also tell me which Windows 10 version/codename you are using. This has an impact on which driver is deployed from our installer and also useful for known OS bugs, and which USB driver is used (DisplayLink or Microsoft)

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:45 PM   #3
cros82

Default Configuration Files

Hi, to get it working again it is always different, sometimes change the usb port other times uninstall all usb generic devices, sometimes turn the screen off and back on again. I have uploaded 3 configuration files.

1. is the file from when I first turned it on to read your reply
2. I uninstalled the software
3. I reinstalled the software however the dynadock still does not work.

If it starts working again I will upload that file also.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:57 PM   #4
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Thank you for all these files and details,

I have a clearer picture of what is taking place.
First, 7.9 driver is not suitable for Windows 10 Anniversary Update onwards. It requires 8.0 minimum.
After you install 7.9 manually, Windows Update will break it when adding 8.2. But that's not the only root cause of your issues. When upgrading Windows, the OS is designed to cleanly remove old versions, but not when adding them later.

The main root cause comes from USB communication issues. There are difficulties setting the secure channel. When negotiation fails a few times, it stops trying. The reason why insisting works is because it eventually errors take place at a non-critical time. I believe the removal of third party things is just a coincidence: even when it passes, Windows USB driver reports errors.
I see the first 30 minutes seem to have recoverable errors, but then I wonder if you've got the computer going to sleep and has issues resuming.

Would you be able to run our cleaner to get rid of all 8.2, then install the latest driver from our website (8.4 M2) before connecting the docking station?

Then, I would advise trying with another USB 3.0 cable or change to USB 2.0 to see if the behaviour changes. Ultimately, because the USB channel is not clean, the driver and chip can't talk. What we are trying here is to check what influences the quality of the link.
If you could provide new logs gathered after this, I can look at the errors to see if the situation has improved.

Kind regards,
Alban

Old 03-09-2018, 10:44 AM   #5
cros82

Default New File

Hi, I did that, however I dont have another cable I have ordered one. It still does not work the file is attached. thanks
Attached Files
File Type: zip TOSHIBA-P840_20180309_203401.zip (2.74 MB, 1 views)
Old 03-09-2018, 12:42 PM   #6
AlbanRampon

Hello,

You can force USB2 by not fully inserting the USB Type-A end in the host connector, or by borrowing a printer cable.
I still see errors and device being dropped.
Our USB driver is a bit more stubborn than the Windows inbox one, but because you use an nVidia card for which they might still update drivers, I am unable to advise you to force using the old driver architecture on this as a graphics update might block the computer from booting.

At this stage, I would advise contacting the manufacturer to discuss hardware support.
Unless the cable or some USB3.0 lines are damaged, whatever we do here is not going to cure anything, we are only trying to mitigate the impact...

Kind regards,
Alban

Tags
windows 10