Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 09-20-2022, 07:46 AM   #1
Spirit

Default Boot takes very long, not all monitors connected

Hi everyone,

I am describing the problem first and will post my hardware later today once I am back on my private machine. Also, I am not sure if the issue is even 100% related to Display Link, but maybe you have an idea or maybe it is.

When I boot my system it takes unusually long (2-3 minutes) and then boots into Windows, which is the only present OS on the system. I then can see my two HDMI connected monitors through Display Link Adapter as well a small in-case monitor connected through HDMI on the internal Intel GPU. But I can not see my main monitor connected via Mini DP directly connected to the Nvidia card. The main monitor is showing the BIOS boot screen at the beginning but turns blank once the system goes into Windows.

I then have to reboot several times (sometimes 3-4 times, sometimes 5 times) without changing anything and then the boot process is as expected: Very fast (seconds) and all monitors connected immediately. I so far could not reproduce what "fixes" it as even my little reboot routine seems to be random and it won't fix after the same amount of reboots.

This is a fairly new issue. The only thing I can remember recently changing is a BIOS update, that seemingly ran through without issues (but maybe it didn't?) and of course I keep my Nvidia drivers up to date. It all feels very random and erratic. Once I get to the "fixed" state my system runs totally normal, I can use everything as it should without connection problems, lags, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Specs:

Mainboard: ASUS TUF GAMING Z690-Plus WIFI D4
CPU: Intel Core i9 12900K LGA1700 30MB Cache 3,2GHz retail
GPU: Nvidia Geforce RTX-3090 24GB (ASUS)
RAM: DDR4 32GB PC 2666 CL16 CORSAIR KIT (2x16GB) Vengeance RGB B
SSD: SSD 2TB Samsung M.2 PCI-E NVMe Gen4 980 PRO Basic ret

Primary Monitor as mentioned is connected via DP directly to nvidia GPU, other monitors are connected via https://www.amazon.de/dp/B089M4ZCK7/...024491_TE_item

Last edited by Spirit; 09-21-2022 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Added Specs
Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 09:17 AM   #2
Spirit

I have now added the system specs, apologies for not having them at hand immediately when posting this.
Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 10:22 AM   #3
KatarzynaCzaja
DisplayLink Tech Support

Hello,

As the monitor in question is connected directly to the computer/GPU the DisplayLink driver would have no control over this monitor. We can only affect monitors connected to DisplayLink powered devices such as the adapter that you linked - and as you mentioned those monitors are working correctly - which means that DisplayLink is working as intended.
Other than checking the video cables for any damage, checking the monitor with another computer and check the general hardware there is not much else I can suggest as as I mentioned DisplayLink appears to work correctly.
KatarzynaCzaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 01:04 PM   #4
Azazael

Default Windows 11 boot with display link

Hi Spirit

My system does the same thing as yours. Similar specs

I have the main monitor via HDMI from the RTX3090 and two USB monitors
either side of it via display link. The bios posts fine and has no errors and the motherboard LCD shows CPU temp.
So, it's not hardware.

Things that work for me.:
If you go into sleep mode as opposed to full shut down windows 11 starts fine except it chooses the first USB monitor as its primary monitor.
If I detach the two USB monitors the pc boots fine. I recconect them after boot

I dont think it's a Display link fault as once windows is running all works well.

The MSI motherboard SATA ports A and B as the ASMedia ASM1061 SATA controller chip has issues.
See https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?t.../#post-2107894

After a week Finally solved it : Bios also gave error A2 20% of the time , pointing towards a failling SATA drive. Removed that mechanical drive (1 of 6) and the NVME drive that contains windows 11 boots up every time straight away.

Mainboard: ASUS Z690 MPG Carbon EKX
CPU: Intel Core i9 13900K LGA1700
GPU: Nvidia Geforce RTX-3090FE
RAM: DDR5 64GB PC CORSAIR 5600
SSD: WD Black SN850 2TB SSD M.2 2280 NVME PCI-E Gen4

Last edited by Azazael; 11-15-2022 at 12:30 PM.
Azazael is offline   Reply With Quote