Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 02-15-2022, 02:33 PM   #1
terryxing

Default 1080p not available in Monterey.

Hey all,

I was looking for 1080p resolution on the dock, but I really only have 3 resolutions that are available for an Apple Cinema Display (27") model A1316 and only 2 of those work.

2560x1440
2480x1152 - Does not work.
1280x720

Since the scaling of displays isn't possible on Monterey, this would be extremely helpful.

Thanks.
terryxing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 12:05 PM   #2
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryxing View Post
Hey all,

I was looking for 1080p resolution on the dock, but I really only have 3 resolutions that are available for an Apple Cinema Display (27") model A1316 and only 2 of those work.

2560x1440
2480x1152 - Does not work.
1280x720

Since the scaling of displays isn't possible on Monterey, this would be extremely helpful.

Thanks.
According to this KB article --> https://support.displaylink.com/know...tion-available this is a known issue which is the result of an internal limitation of the Apple Cinema display.
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 05:24 PM   #3
terryxing

I appreciate that, but you can technically do it in Windows in a VM. I have the monitor available there and at 1080p. It MAY be scaling but it is definitely available and looks quite good pixel density and scaling wise.

Here is a screenshot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboerner View Post
According to this KB article --> https://support.displaylink.com/know...tion-available this is a known issue which is the result of an internal limitation of the Apple Cinema display.
Old 03-08-2022, 06:09 PM   #4
terryxing

And I found a way AROUND it.

https://www.macworld.com/article/549...a-scaling.html

Read this article, and review the setup. I created a dummy display, set the resolution and then mirrored the display to the dummy and it works flawlessly. I now have 1080p on the 2nd display. This wasn't the intended use of the hack which was meant for upscaling but this definitely works for the other direction as well.

Obviously you would need to know which resolutions are supported on the display, but it allows for a reasonable workaround.

Also oddly enough, the usual Netflix and streaming issues with DRM/protected content seem to go away doing this as well. I can watch something and not have it black screen. Weird.

Last edited by terryxing; 03-08-2022 at 06:46 PM.