Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 09-21-2018, 12:37 PM   #541
lhasiuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rymek View Post
So I just bought a dock with DisplayLink chip and USBC connector and i'm having the same problems as above (black screen with cursor only visible, 15" 2018 MBP).

But more important question is. When you guys release the fix, will I be able to use both DP connectors from the dock to connect 2 monitors? Some people say over the net that connection through usbc only supports one external monitor....

Is that true?
I think there are much better ways to go than DisplayLink for a 2018 MBP. Each Thunderbolt 3 port can drive a 4K monitor. HDMI monitors can be connected through inexpensive USB-C to HDMI adapters. That's four external screens on a 15" model!

My setup with the 2018 MBP uses a Henge Stone hub. It powers the computer and gives me 3 USB ports, gigabit Ethernet, audio, USB-C (for a backup hard drive) and DisplayPort all over a single connection to the MBP. For the second monitor I use a $20 HDMI adapter. Henge recently released a firmware update that solved some earlier issues with the 2018 models.

With my previous setup that used DisplayLink on a 2011 MBP, the CPU usage would go through the roof when active content was displayed on the secondary screen, and some apps wouldn't display properly. This setup completely solves that.
lhasiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:18 PM   #542
Rymek

For me, the whole point of this setup is that I have dock attached to one thunderbolt cord and two monitors to that dock, also ethernet, some usb3.0 devices etc. And it's just one cable. I know I could connect two monitors, taking up two slots but I don't want to do that.

If DisplayLink cannot provide this functionality i'll switch to other vendors if there are any that offer this.

But on the driver page, the black announcement claims that this will be fixed with release of Mojave final driver. Starting to doubt that.
Rymek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:05 PM   #543
Woody58

Default No Extended Monitor Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheafoley View Post
Just updated to 10.13.4 (beta) and my display link has ceased to work.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the latest version.

It seems that my monitor recognizes a signal (as it doesn't go to sleep) but it is not getting picture nor does it show in the 'arrangement' tab for my display preferences.

If anyone has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Having a similar issue with iMacPro that only allows "Mirrored" monitors and no Arrangement
ability like I had before the updated driver! Does anyone know how to get the arrangement window back?

Thanks
Woody58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:00 AM   #544
Pbowater

You sometimes have to fiddle a bit with options in the AirPlay menu on the menu bar, but it will eventually work.

Not sure where all the whining came from, how about 'Thanks for taking the time Alban, sounds like we are getting there for users that can upgrade to Mojave'.

I'm looking forward to it, especially the promise of improved performance.
Pbowater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:28 AM   #545
Rymek

I believe I paid for this product. If this was opensource implementation then sure, but in this case it's someone's job to make this work.

So thank you ofcourse, but fix your product.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:27 AM   #546
Pbowater

Quote:
I believe I paid for this product. If this was opensource implementation then sure, but in this case it's someone's job to make this work.

So thank you ofcourse, but fix your product.
They are...
Pbowater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:33 PM   #547
slvrscoobie

NEW 5.0 DRIVERS AVAILABLE
http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001g3nKN...xICGxSkE2lSg==
Multiple monitors and hardware accel!
Mojave only, but i know some people on Mojave are watching this thread.

Last edited by slvrscoobie; 09-24-2018 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Mojave only
slvrscoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:02 PM   #548
ivovk

Although new 5.0 driver for Mojave has come out it doesn't solve black screen problem on MBP 2018. The quote from release notes:

Quote:
DisplayLink screens are black with only mouse cursor visible on MacBook Pro 2018 with initial macOS 10.14.0. (28503)
ivovk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:11 PM   #549
lhasiuk

Quote:
For me, the whole point of this setup is that I have dock attached to one thunderbolt cord and two monitors to that dock, also ethernet, some usb3.0 devices etc. And it's just one cable. I know I could connect two monitors, taking up two slots but I don't want to do that.

If DisplayLink cannot provide this functionality i'll switch to other vendors if there are any that offer this.

But on the driver page, the black announcement claims that this will be fixed with release of Mojave final driver. Starting to doubt that.
The Belkin Thunderbolt™ 3 Express Dock HD can do that and is sold at Apple stores as well as online. It's pricey at a suggested retail price of $349, however.
lhasiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:45 PM   #550
Rymek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhasiuk View Post
The Belkin Thunderbolt™ 3 Express Dock HD can do that and is sold at Apple stores as well as online. It's pricey at a suggested retail price of $349, however.
Yeah black screen for MBP 2018 15".

Already ordered CalDigit Thunderbolt 3 dock. Only 25 euros more thank display link thing I have now.

This is 2nd time display link product fails on me now. Does not bode well for my recommendations in the future.