Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
scelfo

Default A success story with a weird workaround

I've been watching this thread for a while. Today, I took out my mimo UM-710 monitor that has been sitting in my desk drawer since I upgraded to 10.8.

My mac is running 10.8.2.

I installed the 1.8 drivers currently available on http://displaylink.com/mac.

I have two normal monitors and the mimo UM-710 monitor. They are all working right now. Here's what I did:

1\ Download/install the drivers.
2\ Reboot.
3\ Log in.
4\ Plug in the mimo monitor and turn it on. At this point, the two normal monitors flashed blue like I'd expect but the mimo didn't work.
5\ Open System Preferences > Displays.
6\ Observe that there is a dialog for the mimo monitor but there wasn't a small draggable screen in the Arrangement tab.
7\ (here's the weird workaround) I change the rotation for the mimo monitor to be 180°.
8\ Content showed up on the mimo monitor and a draggable screen showed up in the Arrangement tab. It seems to work fine.

It also worked at 90° and 270°, just not at Standard rotation. Unfortunately, I never tried the rotation setting on 10.8 so I don't know if the OS bug fixes in 10.8.2 mentioned in this thread fixed anything.

Seems like the rotation triggers some kind of software scaling/transform that works around a bug. Now my monitor is happily connected to my computer and I have an ugly usb cable sticking out of the top of the monitor. Much better than leaving it in my desk drawer and getting more frustrated with DisplayLink as a company.

I hope this works for someone else!

I also hope that DisplayLink steps up and puts a notice on their website about compatibility problems with 10.8.*. A "Known Issues" post on http://displaylink.com/mac would be a good start.

Last edited by scelfo; 10-23-2012 at 11:41 PM.
scelfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
nathan

Default rotation

I experienced this same fix. Unfortunately, I can't physically rotate my monitor upside down to match the orientation.
nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
MickM

Default rotation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan View Post
I experienced this same fix. Unfortunately, I can't physically rotate my monitor upside down to match the orientation.
Got excited there for a moment. I set my DisplayLink monitor for upside-down orientation and restarted etc, but I still get the same epilepsy-inducing screen flashing. Oh well.

At this point I'm going to back off pushing on the DisplayLink developer because I guess it's clear that Apple introduced this bug with Mountain Lion and the developer is left holding the bag. I also use other applications in which Apple's CoreGraphics's bugs yield totally messed up visuals. I'm going to go back through this thread and see if there is a reference to an Apple bug number and then just report it myself to try and up the priority. I hear they've started seeding 10.8.3 - man I hope Apple have done something about this in that release. I wouldn't mind seeing a vague smiling emoticon from the developer as an indication that this will bring improvements.

Last edited by MickM; 11-01-2012 at 01:41 PM. Reason: fixed a typo
MickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
cmwade77

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickM View Post
Got excited there for a moment. I set my DisplayLink monitor for upside-down orientation and restarted etc, but I still get the same epilepsy-inducing screen flashing. Oh well.

At this point I'm going to back off pushing on the DisplayLink developer because I guess it's clear that Apple introduced this bug with Mountain Lion and the developer is left holding the bag. I also use other applications in which Apple's CoreGraphics's bugs yield totally messed up visuals. I'm going to go back through this thread and see if there is a reference to an Apple bug number and then just report it myself to try and up the priority. I hear they've started seeding 10.8.3 - man I hope Apple have done something about this in that release. I wouldn't mind seeing a vague smiling emoticon from the developer as an indication that this will bring improvements.
I am not going to back off of them, the more that I use the J5Create's device, the more I realize that at least the crashing issues are NOT an OS issue, as their device is working quite well under Mountain Lion.

Yes, there are some minor display issues that are on OS issue, but these are resolved by simply moving the cursor and don't happen all that often.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:38 AM   #5
quang4me

After installing the driver 1.8, I randomly got the login issue after starting the computer, it doesn't show up the user login boxes.
Even though I can bypass this problem by typing my password and login blindly, I couldn't make Preview app, Flash and XCode work after that, they constantly crashed.

All programs above work fine if I (luckily and randomly) start my computer with no login issue.

Therefore, I believe that it's not just a login issue per se, but its related effects need to be resolved also.

Last edited by quang4me; 11-03-2012 at 07:41 AM. Reason: typo
quang4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
login screen, mountain lion