Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 03-10-2020, 10:01 AM   #1
Harters

Question D6000 Display Issue - 640x480 low res

Hi. I needed to use 2 monitors connected to my new laptop so I bought a D6000.

I downloaded the drivers from displaylink, connected it all up and for a few months everything was fine

Monitors are 4 month old JVC LT-24CM69BE
Laptoip is a 6 month old Lenovo V330 running Windows 10 pro 64 bit
Graphics adapter is an Intel 620

I connect to the laptop using the USB-C connector and then use 2 x HDMI-D to HDMI cables to connect the dock to the two screens

Today however both monitors have started up in 640x480 mode. I cannot change display resolution in display settings as it is greyed out.

After many hours searching the web I figured maybe I have corrupt EDID files on my monitors I used a tool to create EDID overrides but that changed nothing - i can change the name of my monitors and see the changes in display settings but still no resolution options show.

So back to basics and so I disconnected the d6000 and swapped to a striaght HDMI to HDMI from monitor to laptop and all is good again.

I have updated the d6000 firmware using the utility, updated drivers, removed the device completely from my devices in device manager and re-installed it all but still if I connect the d6000 my screens revert to low res which is really annoying.

I've seen others with the same issue but not really a set of instructions how to resolve this.

Thanks VERY much in advance as i'd really like to keep using the D6000 as it is handy and has been fine for last few months plus a really need the 2 screens daily.

I just ran the log collection tool and loaded the log to here

Edit: I just connected one monitor to the HDMI port on the D6000 and that is fine so the issue is related just to the DP ports as far as I can tell
Attached Files
File Type: zip DL_Windows_Logs_20200310_100752.zip (2.04 MB, 1 views)

Last edited by Harters; 03-10-2020 at 10:48 AM. Reason: upload log file
Harters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 12:45 PM   #2
JakubDabrowski
DisplayLink Tech Support

Hello Harters,

Thank you for your patience and detailed description.

Could you please clarify one more thing for me?

You wrote that you are using 2 HDMI cables connected to the dock while the dock has only 1 HDMI port. Are you using some kind of adapters or different cables to connect your monitors to DisplayPorts?

Based on the log files I may see that the EDID file was not transported to the dock station, hence that was the cause of not setting a different resolution than 640x480.

Thank you in advance for your future feedback on above questions.

Best regards,
Jakub

Last edited by JakubDabrowski; 03-11-2020 at 01:40 PM.
JakubDabrowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 01:25 PM   #3
Harters

Hi

Thanks for getting back to me...

Sorry for the confusion.

The setup that was working was 2 HDMI (monitor end) to HDMI-D (DP Port end) cables
Now this has stopped working

I can now only achieve 1 working monitor with good resolution by switching over to either

Monitor to laptop or Monitor to D6000 HDMI port

In both cases of course I have to use a normal HDMI-HDMI cable instead of the HDMI to HDMI-D in the DP ports which i used to use without issue.

So from your reply it seems i need somehow to get the EDID file onto both DP ports?

Hope that clarifies things
Old 03-11-2020, 01:48 PM   #4
JakubDabrowski
DisplayLink Tech Support

Hello,

Thank you for clarifying that.

Right now I would suggest the following:

1. Follow this article in order to force windows to rediscover monitors : https://support.displaylink.com/know...fy-numbers-are

2. If you may, please try using the same setup with a different laptop as this would help me to exclude possible causes.

As to your question, the EDID file is not being transported but we need to find the root cause of it. It may be cable issues or ports issues but to verify that I need you to run the above troubleshooting.

Thank you for your actions.

Kind regards,
Jakub
Old 03-11-2020, 01:54 PM   #5
Harters

OK, Thanks.

I will follow the steps in the link you provided.

I dont see it being the cables. The original set up was working for months. This as i said was cables with HDMI one end and HDMI-D the other.

I do have another laptop identical to this so will try that in a little while after i follow the steps you suggested.

I will write back here shortly

Thanks
Old 03-11-2020, 01:59 PM   #6
Harters

One question before I proceed please Jakub....

I will download the reg file from the link and run it but should I.....

a) reconnect the 2 monitors to the DP ports first (using HDMI to HDMI-D)
or
b) only connect 1 to DP port
or
c) connect 1 monitor via the HDMI port on D6000
or
d) connect 1 monitor directly to the laptop via HDMI to HDMI ?
or
e) have nothing connected and then connect the D6000, then add 1 monitor to D6000 and then the 2nd one afterwards. I am assuming this is the correct option. If so so i need to do anything after connecting each peice of hardware ?

Thanks

Last edited by Harters; 03-11-2020 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:35 AM   #7
JakubDabrowski
DisplayLink Tech Support

Hello Hartres,

Yes E option will be the best one. Simply run the REG file without anything connected and afterwards connect D6000, 1st monitor, 2nd monitor.

You do not need to do anything special between each hardware connection. REG file should force your system to rediscover the monitor one more time.

Thank you for your troubleshooting.

Best regards,
Jakub
Old 03-13-2020, 10:18 AM   #8
Harters

Hi,

So that worked for one of the monitors. The one it worked for is the one that i have had connected directly to the laptop HDMI-HDMI and also connected at other times (since the issue) to the D6000 HDMI port.

When I connected the D6000 and this monitor we got the good result.
When I connected the second monitor is staying in 640x480
I then connected this second monitor directly to the laptop and then it was also good

So i now have 2 good monitors however one is to the laptop and one to the D6000.

I will leave it a whiles and try to connect the second to the D6000 DP port and see if that now works and I will let you know

Thank you VERY much - your help is much appreciated. Enjoy you weekend.
Andy

Tags
640x480, d6000, low resolution