Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 06-30-2021, 09:51 PM   #1
Smooth

Default Displayport to VGA not working on D6000

Hello,

I bought a D6000 dock recently, such as to connect 2 1080p 60hz screens to my laptop.
One of the screens only has DVI and VGA ports, the other has HDMI. I use an Asus laptop (gl552vw) which has only 1 hdmi output port. I would like to connect both screens to the dock, however one of them, the one with only VGA/DVI, doesn't get recognized using a DP to VGA cable (this one : link to amazon)

I have been able to connect another screen (not mine) to the DP port of the dock, so the problem is not with the dock.

For me, the problem could be :
- The cable doesn't work
- The VGA input on the screen doesn't work (DVI works)
- The dock doesn't support this type of cable (passive DP to VGA)

Has anyone an idea on what is the most likely ? Specifically, I would like to confirm that I do not need a different cable (active ?) to use a VGA screen with the D6000.

Thank you !
Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 12:08 PM   #2
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth View Post
Hello,

I bought a D6000 dock recently, such as to connect 2 1080p 60hz screens to my laptop.
One of the screens only has DVI and VGA ports, the other has HDMI. I use an Asus laptop (gl552vw) which has only 1 hdmi output port. I would like to connect both screens to the dock, however one of them, the one with only VGA/DVI, doesn't get recognized using a DP to VGA cable (this one : link to amazon)

I have been able to connect another screen (not mine) to the DP port of the dock, so the problem is not with the dock.

For me, the problem could be :
- The cable doesn't work
- The VGA input on the screen doesn't work (DVI works)
- The dock doesn't support this type of cable (passive DP to VGA)

Has anyone an idea on what is the most likely ? Specifically, I would like to confirm that I do not need a different cable (active ?) to use a VGA screen with the D6000.

Thank you !
I do personally do not have a Dell D6000 dock, however based on what I can see in the manual --> https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/a...uide_en-us.pdf I would presume that the dock's DisplayPort outputs are 'pure' DisplayPort outputs.

If my presumption is in fact correct, then you would need an Active DisplayPort to VGA video cable in order to connect your display.

To expand further, a Passive cable will only work when used with a Dual Mode DisplayPort output (also referred to as DP ++) . If a DisplayPort output is not Dual Mode, then an Active video adapter is required. Most manufacturers will label DisplayPort outputs with the 'DP ++' label if they are Dual Mode, and the manual suggests your ports are not labeled in that manner.
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote