Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 07-07-2021, 04:12 AM   #1
jmc

Default M1 Screen Rotation Now (Partially) Supported?

On a whim, I changed the screen rotation and it successfully rotated, saved and has been operating on my M1 Macbook Pro (Big Sur 11.4, displaylink Manager 1.4.0 build 57.120).

I have the Plugable UD-ULTC4K operating with (3) Dell U2719D screens. One connects by HDMI, two connect by DisplayPort. The MacBook is closed in clamshell mode and all three screens remain operable. The built-in display becomes a fourth independent display when the laptop is open. Power is delivered back over the USB-C cable.

The screen connected by HDMI is the one I was able to rotate. The other two (connected by DisplayPort) do not have the rotation option yet.

I am hopeful that the rotation choice will come to those as well so that I can operate all three vertically.

I thought I would post about this change to see if anyone else out there had noticed and finally been successful with getting screen rotation to work. This feedback post has no recent official posts, but lots of recent activity from people unhappy about the continued lack of robust rotation support. Not sure if this is just a happy / temporary accident and I should avoid counting my chickens.

Last edited by jmc; 07-07-2021 at 04:15 AM.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:29 PM   #2
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
On a whim, I changed the screen rotation and it successfully rotated, saved and has been operating on my M1 Macbook Pro (Big Sur 11.4, displaylink Manager 1.4.0 build 57.120).

I have the Plugable UD-ULTC4K operating with (3) Dell U2719D screens. One connects by HDMI, two connect by DisplayPort. The MacBook is closed in clamshell mode and all three screens remain operable. The built-in display becomes a fourth independent display when the laptop is open. Power is delivered back over the USB-C cable.

The screen connected by HDMI is the one I was able to rotate. The other two (connected by DisplayPort) do not have the rotation option yet.

I am hopeful that the rotation choice will come to those as well so that I can operate all three vertically.

I thought I would post about this change to see if anyone else out there had noticed and finally been successful with getting screen rotation to work. This feedback post has no recent official posts, but lots of recent activity from people unhappy about the continued lack of robust rotation support. Not sure if this is just a happy / temporary accident and I should avoid counting my chickens.
The HDMI video output of the UD-ULTC4K is powered by the USB-C Alt Mode video output of your Mac's Thunderbolt/USB4 port. It is not powered by the DisplayLink chip that is driving the two DisplayPort video output ports.

Because the HDMI video output is using the 'native' video output capabilities of your laptop, that is why rotation is working with the HDMI connected display.
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 12:36 AM   #3
jmc

Thanks. Interesting that it only recently started working, though.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote