Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED - Windows 10 Software

Old 08-21-2015, 04:42 PM   #31
robmc5

Thanks for the update, we are starting to get clients that we have installed the Display Link adapters at their location that are upgrading and having the same problem.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:53 PM   #32
JezzH

As a workaround, can you please try killing the process named ApplicationFrameHost.exe

This may temporarily fix the problem, although it might come back later.

Please let us know whether this works for you.

Thanks,
Jezz
Old 08-21-2015, 10:29 PM   #33
lokinz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezzH View Post
As a workaround, can you please try killing the process named ApplicationFrameHost.exe

This may temporarily fix the problem, although it might come back later.

Please let us know whether this works for you.

Thanks,
Jezz
Did not work for me. Killed ApplicationFrameHost.exe but still no response from start menu etc. Also when launching an app like edge or calculator ApplicationFrameHost.exe restarts.

Thanks for your efforts though.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:00 PM   #34
robmc5

It also did not work for me. I killed the process and reinstalled the drivers, same result, no start menu, Edge and all other modern UI apps would crash with the same error.

Activation of app Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub_8wekyb3d8bbwe!Microso ft.MicrosoftOfficeHub failed with error: The remote procedure call failed. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

That process is started everytime I launch one of the modern apps.

Last edited by robmc5; 08-24-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:28 AM   #35
justinhp

Default Same issue

This same issue is happening to me as well. I tried all the fixes suggested, but to no avail. My graphics are:
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVIDIA Quadro K2000M

So much be a conflicting issue. I even did a fresh install of Windows 10 and nothing is changed. As soon as I uninstall DisplayLink I can use my start menu, right click on items in my toolbar, etc.

Is there a fix coming for this?

thanks,
Justin
Old 08-25-2015, 09:20 PM   #36
robmc5

Default I have the fix!!!!

I have found the fix for this issue. I have a Lenovo W530 with the Nvidia Quadro K1000M and I am trying to use two displaylink USB adaptors. This has fixed this issues for all our users that have the problem.

You will need to go into the BIOS on your machine, go to display settings and set the adapter to “discreet graphics”. Next there will be a selection under that for “allow operating system to auto detect” disable this feature.

Reboot and the Start Menu, Edge, Cortana, and all apps will work with the Display Link Drivers installed.

You can also make this change in Windows under PC setings/Advanced Startup/Troubleshoot/Advanced Options/UEFI Firmware Settings/Restart
Old 08-26-2015, 12:25 AM   #37
Yuri878

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmc5 View Post
I have found the fix for this issue. I have a Lenovo W530 with the Nvidia Quadro K1000M and I am trying to use two displaylink USB adaptors. This has fixed this issues for all our users that have the problem.

You will need to go into the BIOS on your machine, go to display settings and set the adapter to “discreet graphics”. Next there will be a selection under that for “allow operating system to auto detect” disable this feature.

Reboot and the Start Menu, Edge, Cortana, and all apps will work with the Display Link Drivers installed.

You can also make this change in Windows under PC setings/Advanced Startup/Troubleshoot/Advanced Options/UEFI Firmware Settings/Restart
It works...
So what it means is that switchable graphics is causing the problem.
I Have Lenovo y50-70 so there is only 2 options is BIOS: UMA Graphics and switchable. So what is better, to be stuck on integrated graphics and everything working or be able to use switchable graphics but nothing in windows will work?

I Hope DisplayLink will soon release a fix for the issue.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:30 AM   #38
Michael.A.Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri878 View Post
It works...
So what it means is that switchable graphics is causing the problem.
I Have Lenovo y50-70 so there is only 2 options is BIOS: UMA Graphics and switchable. So what is better, to be stuck on integrated graphics and everything working or be able to use switchable graphics but nothing in windows will work?

I Hope DisplayLink will soon release a fix for the issue.
Yes i think its pretty clear at this point the issue is related to switchable graphics. Unfortunately not all machines have a bios switch to disable it and force a single GPU. There's no way for me to do this on my Dell XPS-15 so its back to waiting for displaylink to fix this for me .
Old 08-26-2015, 10:15 PM   #39
justinhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmc5 View Post

So that kind of worked for me. I changed to discrete graphics but only if I reboot without displaylink plugged in then plug it in after it starts up am I able to use my start menu.

If I just leave it all connected when I reboot the start menu still doesn't work.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:29 PM   #40
ratbone

Default seems to be working

Good Call robmc5. I have done what you recommended and it appears to have resolved my issue to.

I will only declare victory if I do not see the symptoms of the issue after about week of use.

the only worry I have is I'm seeing the following error in the event viewer and I'm not sure it is related.

Event ID 5973

Activation of application Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI failed with error: The app didn't start. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

I checked the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log and could not find a smoking gun and to be honest I did not understand what the errors are related to. here are some examples

Activation of the app Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI for the Windows.BackgroundTasks contract failed with error: The app didn't start..

and

A notification for this tile expired while it was visible

tried to google it but information is pretty thin on windows 10 and Cortana at the moment.