Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 12-04-2022, 05:47 PM   #1
VadimLY

Default Mac Mini M1 and two displays

Hello,

I'm trying to connect my new Apple Studo Display to Mac Mini together with Apple Thunderbolt Display. Both through thunderbolt (USB-С) jack. Unfortunately only one is working at a time. The first which was connected.
Now I have DisplayLink Manager installed but all the same I can use only one display.

Is it possible to use DisplayLink Manager in such a situation. If so, how?
VadimLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 12:04 PM   #2
DanielSznicer
DisplayLink Tech Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VadimLY View Post
Hello,

I'm trying to connect my new Apple Studo Display to Mac Mini together with Apple Thunderbolt Display. Both through thunderbolt (USB-С) jack. Unfortunately only one is working at a time. The first which was connected.
Now I have DisplayLink Manager installed but all the same I can use only one display.

Hello,
What is the DisplayLink powered device that you are working with?
A link to an online store that has this product will also work.
DanielSznicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 10:43 AM   #3
r.a.wismeijer@outlook.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSznicer View Post
Hello,
What is the DisplayLink powered device that you are working with?
A link to an online store that has this product will also work.
I have the similar problem:
I just bought the MacMini and connect it to my I-Tec.
Now it only starts up automatically on one screen. The strange thing is that , as soon as I detach the connection cable and put it back in again it works on two screens.
I can also see then that the DisplayLink image on the upper right side of the screen lightens up. This doesn't function as I start up and before detaching the cable.

Thanks in advance for your advise.
Rob
r.a.wismeijer@outlook.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 10:24 AM   #4
r.a.wismeijer@outlook.com

Default added info

I use i-tec usb 3.0 / usb C / Thunderbolt 3 5K Universal Dual Display

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.a.wismeijer@outlook.com View Post
I have the similar problem:
I just bought the MacMini and connect it to my I-Tec.
Now it only starts up automatically on one screen. The strange thing is that , as soon as I detach the connection cable and put it back in again it works on two screens.
I can also see then that the DisplayLink image on the upper right side of the screen lightens up. This doesn't function as I start up and before detaching the cable.

Thanks in advance for your advise.
Rob
r.a.wismeijer@outlook.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 09:20 PM   #5
nmdpa3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VadimLY View Post
Hello,

I'm trying to connect my new Apple Studio Display to Mac Mini together with Apple Thunderbolt Display. Both through thunderbolt (USB-С) jack. Unfortunately only one is working at a time. The first which was connected.

Same Issue. Ventura here. The issue seems to be on a system restart. If both monitors are connected via the Display Link device the M1 mini will restart with no monitors (this happens using either HDMI or Display Port). The only way around this is to disconnect one monitor input from the Display Port and connect it to the HDMI port on the Mac Mini. Then, you can see the login screen. Then, once you login, the 2nd monitor will connect. The issue as best as I can tell is the Display Link software starts after login, but the issue occurs before login. So it's a catch 22, and I have to keep one monitor connected with HDMI to the mini when I restart the system. Not very productive.
nmdpa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 08:23 AM   #6
D43m0n

I think I have the same issue.

Laptop and software:
I'm using a 2021 14 inch MacBook Pro with M1 Pro cpu running macOS Monterey 12.6.2. I have DisplayLink Manager 1.8.0 installed.

Here's how it's connected:
I use 2 external monitors. One is a Philips 243B1JH and the other is a Philips 241B7Q. The 243 has a USB-C connector. I use this connector on my MBP. The 241 Philips monitor has the USB3 (type A) connector plugged in the 243 monitor, so they're daisy chained.

Here's what I experience:
When I plug in the USB-C cable, it all works just fine. I can extend the display to both Philips monitors and it all works as expected. Now when I leave my desk, I always lock the screen as a habit. All displays go black indicating the monitors go into power save mode. This is also as expected.
Now when I come back at my desk and hit any key on the keyboard or move the mouse, the screens wake up. The 241 monitor is always slow but when I log in, the display on the 241 monitor is either a frozen image of just my background and nothing more. The MBP doesn't see it is connected anymore. Or, in some cases, the 241 is mirroring the display of the internal (builtin) MBP monitor in a low resolution. It's either one of those situations.

What I do to get it working again:
In order to get the 241 to work as expected, I can do two things;
1) either power off and power on the 241 monitor using the power button on the right bottom located on the front of the 241 monitor. This lets the MBP see the 241display again and it works as expected with both external monitors.
2) Stop and relaunch the DisplayLink Manager software. This also makes the MBP see the 241 display again and it works as expected with both external monitors.

Bad user experience:
This is very annoying behavior because my windows I have open are constantly being rearranged when I need to perform either a power off/-up of the 241 monitor or relaunch the DisplayLink Manager software. The windows get cluttered on one active display, either the builtin MBP display or the 243 monitor that is connected via USB-C.

Other things I've tried:
I have also tried to connect the 241 monitor via a USB-A to USB-C adapter directly to another USB-C port on the same MBP, essentially each monitor has it's own direct connection to a USB-C port on the MBP without daisy chaining the monitors, but this makes no difference.

Last edited by D43m0n; 12-20-2022 at 08:26 AM.
D43m0n is offline   Reply With Quote