Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 06:46 PM   #191
Wim

We’re pleased to announce the first version of DisplayLink support for Ubuntu is now available. It can be downloaded from here:

http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/ubuntu.php

We intend to maintain Ubuntu support, but have designed the driver in such a way, it should be possible to port the driver to other distributions.

More information about the release can be found here:

http://support.displaylink.com/knowl...rticles/683482

Wim
Old 08-04-2015, 11:30 PM   #192
Blastyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
We’re pleased to announce the first version of DisplayLink support for Ubuntu is now available. It can be downloaded from here:

http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/ubuntu.php

We intend to maintain Ubuntu support, but have designed the driver in such a way, it should be possible to port the driver to other distributions.

More information about the release can be found here:

http://support.displaylink.com/knowl...rticles/683482

Wim
This is a pleasant surprise, but I have one concern after reviewing the release notes (emphasis mine):

Quote:
C. Supported O/S variants
=========================

This release has been prepared to be compatible with Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS. Other variants and editions may be compatible if they meet minimum O/S requirements, but are not supported by DisplayLink.

The Software contains binaries which work on Intel x86 platform (32 bit and 64 bit).
Minimum supported Linux Kernel version is 3.16.
Minimum supported Xorg version is 1.16.
These two statements appear to contradict each other, as Ubuntu 14.04.x uses kernel 3.13.0 and Xorg 1.15.1.

If you could clarify this point, it would be appreciated.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:16 AM   #193
baldyman

Does this driver support the ASUSMB168B+ / DL-4120 ?

I installed your driver on Mint 17.2 (based on Ubuntu 14.04), 3.19.0-25-generic kernel, xorg 1.15.1, and it appears to do the sum total of nothing.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:26 AM   #194
banderson5586

Quote:
These two statements appear to contradict each other, as Ubuntu 14.04.x uses kernel 3.13.0 and Xorg 1.15.1.

Here is the error I received. Looks like 3.14 is the minimum.

Quote:
Unsatisfied dependencies. Missing component: Kernel version 3.13.0-61-generic is too old. At least 3.14 is required.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:04 AM   #195
jkudish

installing the driver with Kernel 4+ is not possible:

Quote:
Unsatisfied dependencies. Missing component: Kernel version 4.0.7-300.fc22.x86_64 is too old. At least 3.14 is required.
This is a fatal error, cannot install DisplayLink Linux Software.

Last edited by jkudish; 08-05-2015 at 03:04 AM. Reason: formatting
Old 08-05-2015, 08:56 AM   #196
MartinHerrman

This is fantastic news! Delivered before expected :-)

I'm running Debian Jessie and tried to install the driver. After installing dkms and running the installer again, it complains about my kernel version as well. It also complains about missing headers.

Eventually I can install it by making some modifications.

Unfortunately, mouse and network are available, but power and display are not available to the laptop.

All information is in the attached text file (I tried to put it in this post, but that results in an error when previewing or submitting it).

What can I do to get this solved?
Attached Files
File Type: txt displaylink_logs.txt (6.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 08-05-2015, 10:02 AM   #197
nonsbe

Smile Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post

Wim
Installed it on 14.04.2 LTS and it works like a charm with 2 external displays! Thank you for the effort!
Though this should have been released from the start on though. I hope this will be kept in mind for future productions of DisplayLink.

Last edited by nonsbe; 08-05-2015 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:34 AM   #198
mlukaszek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastyr View Post
Hi,
In Ubuntu 14.04.2, both kernel and X have been updated. See http://support.displaylink.com/knowl.../615714#ubuntu for details on how to get compatible versions.

Technically speaking, the absolute minimum version we need for the kernel module is 3.14, as the installer claims.
However, recommended and tested versions of kernel and X are as in the release note: 3.16 and 1.16.

Hope this helps!
Michal
Old 08-05-2015, 10:55 AM   #199
mlukaszek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinHerrman View Post
I'm running Debian Jessie (...) power and display are not available to the laptop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldyman View Post
installed your driver on Mint 17.2 (...) and it appears to do the sum total of nothing
Hi,

The install script only recognises Ubuntu 14.x at the moment. If you attempt to run in on another distribution you need to manually install either an upstart script, or a systemd service file for our user mode driver application, so it is started automatically when your graphics environment is up - see the install script for examples how it's done for Ubuntu.

Without the driver application running, your screens will not work.

Hope this helps!
Michal
Old 08-05-2015, 12:43 PM   #200
nonsbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsbe View Post
Installed it on 14.04.2 LTS and it works like a charm with 2 external displays! Thank you for the effort!
Though this should have been released from the start on though. I hope this will be kept in mind for future productions of DisplayLink.
I seem to experience some input/display lag on both screens (slight delay on mouse movement and dragging windows).
Probably you are aware of this issue and this will be solved in future releases?
Closed Thread