Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2016, 11:04 AM   #1
john7

Default Spyder calabration effected by M8 at well

My wife uses a monitor via a docker . Since the windows update and M8 she gets an error when just using the attached display i.e the laptop disabled. Datacolor have been most unhelpful saying context the monitor direct to the laptop and they don't support using dockers. " this issue is related to your computer configuration and NOT to the Spyder.
As already mentioned, make sure to directly connect the monitor, than try again."
I take it the windows changes are whats effecting it, no problem before, is there any chance of the current generation of chips/software working as they used to or are dockers going to have long term problems thanks to MS?

There are two problems, the error may well be an old one that Datacolor and MS haven't sorted after many years. The second, which may well have caused the error is its twin graphics laptop. With Intel on the mother board and a Nvdia second one. After the W10 update only the Intell chip is working through the Docker when the laptop screen is off but the desk top one is being used. As far as I know both used to work as some of the graphics programs are setup to use it,. They are running but using the Intel one, I expect they are also not using the graphics memory either!
I take it if I am right this is going to be something only MS can sort out which means it never is likely to be done.

Last edited by john7; 08-25-2016 at 05:54 PM.
john7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:59 AM   #2
AlbanRampon

Hello John,

I have a few questions to better understand and because I'm not familiar with Datacolor.
Would you please be able to attach log files as described in my forum post signature?

Does your wife uses the Datacolor external tool to calibrate the monitor colours?
If so, then this is because this feature is not yet supported through DisplayLink chips. We take content to display directly from the graphics card and we don't (can't) do any colour correction. This feature is my roadmap once we have rolled out DDC/CI on all recent products (products which can do it): this is to use the computer to remote change brightness/contrast. Colour correction (like in f.lux) is more complex as we need to modify the image we get from the graphics card, something we don't have support for at the moment.

About graphics card selection, it depends on the generation and NVidia driver.
Do you base your observation based on performance or from a tool? If from performance, there is a bug that Microsoft has fixed (in Windows build 14906, we verified in 14909). The graphics card is erroneously put to sleep when no direct monitor is connected. We have a couple of companies 300 times my company size pushing for the fix to be rolled out through servicing (= a Windows Update to the current Windows version) instead of waiting until the next version of Windows. Microsoft is being very reasonable about this and I believe it will be done!

If from a tool, you might have a way to force the Intel graphics off so it uses the higher performance one. The log files might give me a bit more info about what is possible.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote