Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 12-01-2017, 06:26 PM   #1
Rick1459

Unhappy Signal Not Detected

Our office uses only Dell products, and our monitors have a mix of 2 inputs: VGA & Displayport or DVI & Displayport. None have HDMI.

We are a Windows 10 "current business branch" office, do automatic Microsoft updates are delayed at least 30 days. Displaylink software is updated to the latest version as available. Users have Dell Latitude 55XX laptops 3 years old or less, all with a minimum i5 processor and 8GB of RAM.

We use Dell D1000 and D3000 docks. In EVERY case, ONLY the VGA to VGA or DVI to DVI connections work as expected. Any HDMI or DP to DP feed is NOT seen. To make dual monitors work, the only thing that works is to send the feed (which can come from any of the dock outlets using an adapter to the monitor's VGA or (absent a VGA input) DVI input.

Does anyone know why this is happening. Dell seems clueless!
Rick1459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:18 PM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello Rick,

I'm afraid I don't understand and need to ask questions.

1. The Dell D1000 or Dell D3100 do not have VGA or DVI outputs. How do you do a VGA-VGA or DVI-DVI connection?

2. How do you do an HDMI -> DP connection? This requires an active adapters. DisplayPort++ inludes HDMI signals, but not the other way round. Therefore plugging an DP++ cable is not supposed to work the other way round.

3. When you say "dual monitor", is that total including the machine native, or only connected to the docking station? The Dell D3100 supports 3 active displays at the same time. As your monitors have VGA inputs, they are very low resolution and therefore well below the max spec the Dell D3100 can handle.

It would be helpful if you could explain what you want to achieve. Which display on which output using which type of cable and how many displays.
Then, you can collect the logs files when everything is connected as you want it to work. The last link in my forum signature explains how to get the logs and you can post them here for analysis.

Regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:23 PM   #3
DGLeroux

Good Morning
I understand that this is an old post and Rick did not reply but I am having a similar problem.

I have a Dell Laptop connected to a new triple display USB 3.0 Dell 3100 dock and I can not get my older Dell monitors to work using a HDMI to DP cable (the moitors only have DP, DVI and VGA inputs) If I use the single display port output on the dock I can get a single monitor to work.
Is the problem with the HDMI to DisplayPort Cables that I am using, the Dock itself or are the monitors too old? Any help would be greatly apreciaited.

Regards David
DGLeroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:10 AM   #4
ScreamCZE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGLeroux View Post
Good Morning
I understand that this is an old post and Rick did not reply but I am having a similar problem.

I have a Dell Laptop connected to a new triple display USB 3.0 Dell 3100 dock and I can not get my older Dell monitors to work using a HDMI to DP cable (the moitors only have DP, DVI and VGA inputs) If I use the single display port output on the dock I can get a single monitor to work.
Is the problem with the HDMI to DisplayPort Cables that I am using, the Dock itself or are the monitors too old? Any help would be greatly apreciaited.

Regards David
Hello,

The HDMI to DP conversion is working only in one way not the other.
So you basically connect the HDMI to your monitor and you get DP on the other end and you will plug that do the docking station. But it will not work the other way.
So if you connect the same cable to the HDMI on docking station and The DP on monitor it will not work.

Hope this will answer your question cause this is important.
Thats probably why its not working.
ScreamCZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 02:06 PM   #5
DGLeroux

Hi Scream
Thanks for replying, I apologise but I do not understand.
THe HDMI to DP is not working at all for me.
The dock has two HDMI outputs and one DP output, my monitors do not have HDMI inputs.
If I connect my Two HDMI to DP cables to the Two HDMI ports on the Dell D3100 Dock and the other end of each cable to the DP connector on the two seperate Dell monitors - the monitors do not see the signal.
Are the cables not able to work in that "direction" ?

When I connect One of the Monitors to the DP output on the Dock using a DP cable it works, but I want both monitors to work at the same time.

Is there a way I could connect these two monitors (that do not have HDMI connectors) to the Dock ?
DGLeroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:24 PM   #6
AlbanRampon

Hello DGLeroux,

I believe what ScreamCZE is telling is that you don't have an HDMI (source) >>> DisplayPort (monitor) cable. I've never seen one (point 2 of my reply at the time).
They are DisplayPort (source) ->>>> HDMI (monitor).
It is not a reversible cable, they have a direction. A DisplayPort output includes HDMI (it's called DisplayPort++) but an HDMI output does NOT include DisplayPort packets.

If you only have DisplayPort inputs on your monitor, I don't believe you can connect them all to the Dell D3100, or any other product, which has HDMI outputs.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dataport, dell, dvi, hmdi, vga