Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #31
jkirker

Default 1.8.2 will be out this/next week...

1.8.2 will likely be out shortly... As a developer I've been running it and I can tell you that the same flicker issues exist w/ the latest version which will likely be very similar to the current build.

Are there any updates on this? Any ETA for a new driver release?

I imagine your volume is significant enough to have dedicated resource staff for development, right??

Thanks,
John
jkirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #32
Teemu

Default I will soon return my DisplayLink

Displaylink does not work according to specs and if there is no fix soon I am returning mine. Warrantly is 12 months if I remember right.

Can anybody recommend another brand that actually works?

I have macbook later 2008 with two displays. One with DVI and another one with DisplayLink.

Teemu
Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:52 AM   #33
GodwinC

Get a new mac with thunderbolt.. that would work. Displaylink is the only game in town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
Displaylink does not work according to specs and if there is no fix soon I am returning mine. Warrantly is 12 months if I remember right.

Can anybody recommend another brand that actually works?

I have macbook later 2008 with two displays. One with DVI and another one with DisplayLink.

Teemu
GodwinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #34
fhall1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkirker View Post
1.8.2 will likely be out shortly... As a developer I've been running it and I can tell you that the same flicker issues exist w/ the latest version which will likely be very similar to the current build.

I imagine your volume is significant enough to have dedicated resource staff for development, right??

Thanks,
John
Hahaha...based on lack of response here lately, I doubt it. My USB MIMO has been sitting unused in a cabinet since I went to 10.7.3 on my iMac (that was the first version of Lion I installed - I never install before .3 is released)...it just too much of a hassle to have to mess with whether it's going to work right on any given day. Worked fine with 10.6.x, but those days are long gone.
fhall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #35
cmwade77

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkirker View Post

Thanks,
John
Can we download the developer version somewhere? Seriously, this is becoming a MAJOR problem.

ETA: I may have found a work around, it is not ideal, but may just work, I will test it out tomorrow and post if it does.

Last edited by cmwade77; 09-21-2012 at 03:53 AM.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #36
paulmj21

cmwade77: I look forward to your findings. Any tips or workaround is really appreciated. Everyone else is at a loss as to what to do?

DL Team: I would really appreciate an update. Its been two months since Mountain Lion release... an exceptionally long time for a major software problem.

Last edited by paulmj21; 09-21-2012 at 03:20 PM.
paulmj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #37
cmwade77

So far, my Fix works, here is what is you need to do:
  1. Restart your computer ins safe mode, if you cannot get finder to open.
  2. Open terminal and enter chflags nohidden /System/Library/
  3. Now, open finder and go to /System/Library/Extensions
  4. Find the file DisplayLinkDriver.kext and copy it to your desktop.
  5. Now delete the same file from your /System/Library/Extensions folder. (OS X will not let you simply move the file)
  6. Download "Install KEXT" from: http://osxdaily.com/2012/01/04/insta...ith-kext-drop/
  7. Restart your computer in regular mode and it should start up normally.
  8. Use the Install KEXT and drag the DisplayLinkDriver.kext into the window and click install.
  9. Restart your computer in reglar mode and all should be well now with your extra monitor working.

So far I have only needed to complete these steps once and it seems to be a permanent fix, but you can certainly do it multiple times if you find that you need to. I would also think that most, if not all of this can be automated somehow, but I don't have the skills to accomplish this. There may also be other methods that work with fewer steps, but this has worked for me.

Please note that at several points during this, you will need your administrator password.

Update 1: I found that you do have to do this every time you want to reboot, but it does seem to work every time.

Update 2: I am now not sure if you have to do this every reboot, I have had several successful reboots now without going through this process.

Last edited by cmwade77; 09-25-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:46 AM   #38
mfbiocoogana

Same problems as everyone else and so angry I didn't check this out before I went ahead with the "upgrade" to mountain lion...... had my displaylink work for a total of 3 days..... FIX THIS PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mfbiocoogana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:36 PM   #39
fbaptiste

Angry Same problem here...

Upgraded MBP recently to Mountain Lion after running it on my iMac for a while without any issues. MBP had major issues - in particular Finder (which by the way will open as long as it is not pointed to All My Files, which is how it opens for me from the dock). Flash failed.
Took forever to narrow it down to the Display Link drivers...
It's obviously been several months now since people have brought this to DisplayLink's attention... Any hope of getting this resolved quickly?? DisplayLink - anyone around? Or have you checked out of the Mac business?
fbaptiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #40
cmwade77

Unfortunately, my workaround above has stopped working for me as of today. This is very frustrating, but we have found another company (J5Create) that works flawlessly with Mountain Lion, the only catch is you need to download the drivers from their Facebook page, as they are still prerelease drivers.

Tags
login screen, mountain lion