Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 08-26-2020, 07:13 PM   #1
aristosv

Default closing the lid causes issues with external monitors

I have a Dell D6000 Universal Docking station and I connected it to my MacBook Pro 13’ 2020 (Four Thunderbolt 3 ports). I connected a monitor on the:

HDMI port: 1920x1080
DisplayPort: 1280x1024

I downloaded the latest Catalina DisplayLink drivers, the desktop is extended and everything is working just fine. The problem starts when I close the lid of the laptop. I prefer using only the external monitors, so I need it closed.

As soon as I close the lid, the 2 external monitors star behaving very strange. Every couple of minutes they lose their signal, and it takes them a couple of minutes to get it back. Also, I can see that the laptop monitor is still shown in the display’s arrangement, even though the lid is closed.

Of course, this is a problem because I can’t work when my monitors lose their signal every 2 minutes.

I know this is not an issue with the Dell D6000, or the external monitors, or their signal cables, or a DisplayLink driver, because when the lid is open, everything is working just fine.

This has to be a Catalina setting somewhere affecting the way the laptop behaves with its lid closed.

Any idea what could the issue be?
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 111.jpg (12.1 KB, 11 views)
aristosv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 05:18 PM   #2
jxk7581

Default Totu Docking Station & Catalina 10.15.6

I can confirm similar issues on my Totu docking station. My issue is when I close my lid, all monitors shut off. Not just the laptop monitor.

Prior to installing DL Manager, I was using Release: 5.2.4 of the USB Graphics Driver. It had other issues and I had hoped that moving to DL Manager would resolve this.

Currently, I have to keep my laptop monitor cracked open in order to use the external displays.
jxk7581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:38 AM   #3
KatarzynaCzaja
DisplayLink Tech Support

Hello,

Thank you for contacting our support.

If you are using a DisplayLink Manager v1.0 or v1.1 then its current limitation is lack of Clamshell mode support. This functionality is available in classic drivers only.

Please check the following article for more information: https://support.displaylink.com/know...ntroduction-in

If you wish to revert to classic driver you need to uninstall DisplayLink Manager and install driver 5.2.5 available under the following link: https://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?id=1636

Instructions how to revert to classic driver are included in the first article that I linked.

Best regards,
Katarzyna
KatarzynaCzaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 01:43 PM   #4
mrt1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatarzynaKowalczyk View Post
Hello,

If you are using a DisplayLink Manager v1.0 or v1.1 then its current limitation is lack of Clamshell mode support. This functionality is available in classic drivers only.

Please check the following article for more information: https://support.displaylink.com/know...ntroduction-in

If you wish to revert to classic driver you need to uninstall DisplayLink Manager and install driver 5.2.5 available under the following link: https://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?id=1636

Instructions how to revert to classic driver are included in the first article that I linked.

Best regards,
Katarzyna

Do you plan on ever adding clamshell support? The latest MacOS update is no longer compatible with the "classic" drivers. Thanks
mrt1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:52 PM   #5
bpuser5k

Default Clam shell support

I am also interested if this will be a feature.
bpuser5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:37 PM   #6
KatarzynaCzaja
DisplayLink Tech Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt1069 View Post
Do you plan on ever adding clamshell support? The latest MacOS update is no longer compatible with the "classic" drivers. Thanks
Hello,

Clamshell is planned however we do not have any time frame for its release set. This alo requires cooperation with the OS vendor.

Classic driver 5.2.1 is incompatible with Catalina 10.15.6 however 5.2.4 and 5.2.5 is fully compatible with that version of the OS.

Best regards,
Katarzyna
KatarzynaCzaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 08:55 PM   #7
bradc

Quote:
Hello,

Clamshell is planned however we do not have any time frame for its release set. This alo requires cooperation with the OS vendor.

Classic driver 5.2.1 is incompatible with Catalina 10.15.6 however 5.2.4 and 5.2.5 is fully compatible with that version of the OS.

Best regards,
Katarzyna

I followed those instructions. Uninstalled everything and installed the 5.2.5 driver and nothing happens. The monitors are not detected and I can't do anything. I have gone through the uninstall and install process several times now, rebooted my machine each time, still nothing happens.

What am I missing here? When you say "Instructions how to revert to classic driver are included in the first article that I linked", that's not true. It just says to uninstall and delete the manager app. What is supposed to happen after I install 5.2.5?
bradc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 04:27 PM   #8
SSD TECH

I have been working with them on this issue we have over 20 of these docks and we are having to find our own fix. Apple is not working with Wavlink and they are not able to fix the driver without apple cooperating with them. This is very frustrating because now we have all these computers that we were using in clamshell mode that now have to keep open. I am running the display link manager and its ok other than you can't close the laptop. I tried to uninstall the 5.2.4 driver and run the 5.2.5 driver and once you install the display link manager it puts files in the library that need to be deleted out. I also noticed that if you want to use the 5.2.4 driver running Catalina you need to have a HDMI and a DP cable to get different views on 2 monitors. They didn't tell me this I figured it out myself. I am working on getting the clamshell mode to work will update when I have it perfected. I am tired of waiting on apple and wavelink to fix!
SSD TECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:55 PM   #9
aristosv

Quote:
Hello,

Best regards,
Katarzyna
The problem with the classic driver, is that it does not support scaling, which is a big issue on 4K monitors. Any workaround?
aristosv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:48 PM   #10
ashzade

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradc View Post
I followed those instructions. Uninstalled everything and installed the 5.2.5 driver and nothing happens. The monitors are not detected and I can't do anything. I have gone through the uninstall and install process several times now, rebooted my machine each time, still nothing happens.

What am I missing here? When you say "Instructions how to revert to classic driver are included in the first article that I linked", that's not true. It just says to uninstall and delete the manager app. What is supposed to happen after I install 5.2.5?
I have the same issue.
ashzade is offline   Reply With Quote