Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 10-26-2016, 11:52 PM   #1
russell

Default Infinite boot - possible device enumeration error

Occasionally I receive infinite boot times with a Dell 3100 (And also a Toshiba Dynadock u3) dock plugged in. The machine is not frozen as I can see the HDD light is flickering and changing but it will never finish booting.

It doesn't appear to be a driver issue as I have turned off windows automatic driver update and uninstalled the drivers using the Installation Cleaner provided by display link and it can still happen. I have never seen this issue without the dock being plugged in.

Connecting through a kernel debugger there appears to be an assert from WUDFRd related to a timeout. After two of these occur the boot continues on but regularly breaking into the process and analysing what is going on often times there is no thread running any process.
I have left it alone for around 2 hours and it's still "booting" with the spinning dots...

It appears that sometimes the devices in the dock do not respond to enumeration requests quickly enough (Or at all) and it's throwing out the windows boot process somehow.

This is a Dell Inspiron 7746 Running Windows 10 Pro (AE) (But it's worth noting that I first saw this with the initial Windows 10 release as well and have completely clean installed windows twice in between times.)

If anyone has seen similar behaviour I would love to hear about it.
It's very strange behaviour and it's very intermittent, but very annoying.

Cheers.
russell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boot, d3100, dynadock u3, windows 10