Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 11-16-2016, 11:50 AM   #21
AlbanRampon

Arrow

I got an update from Microsoft. The graphics card vendor should have implemented the new support in their drivers for the Anniversary Update.

Could you please post the result of the following command line so they can look into it?
This will tell them if the driver you use is supposed to have it implemented or not. If it's implemented, then the issue would be elsewhere... for instance it might be the graphics card enumeration of the application.
Run the following in a command line and post the dxdiag.txt

dxdiag /t dxdiag.txt

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:31 PM   #22
Kalman

Hi Alban,

I have the similar problem, and hope, there will be an easy solution.
If i can help, please let me know. I can send you this dxdiag.txt, but dont know, if it needs the computer to be plugged into the dock, and monitor (i think so). I can not do that at the moment, only a few days later, if it is still ok for you.

Also, i have tried to use hdmi cable, and directly connect the external monitor to the laptop. It worked perfectly, and i could use the secondary graphic driver. I'm not a tech expert, but my bet would be the usb port as the problem source. Maybe the updated win 10 cannot handle the monitor data through the nvidia card, and usb port?

What im using:
Dell Vostro 5470
Dynadock u3.0
Windows 10, version1607

Kind regards,
Kalman
Kalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:09 AM   #23
AlbanRampon

Hello everyone,

I asked Microsoft last night and they haven't yet received the feedback from the graphics card vendors.
The graphics card vendor should have implemented OpenGL for indirect displays in their driver for the Windows 10 Anniversary Update release.

Kalman, I looked and the Dell Vostro 5470 is Intel 4th generation. I don't believe Intel will issue any new driver for that architecture as they just released the 7th generation... As far as I've seen they already did not release any WDDM 2.0 driver for Windows 10 Threshold (the initial version).

Kind regards,
Alban

Old 12-01-2016, 04:04 PM   #24
Kalman

Thanks a lot for the information, didnt know, my laptop is that behind.

Even if there will not be any new driver, shouldn't the old one still work? I mean, the new update should really overwrite an already working driver, with a non-working version?

What drivers shall I downgrade to have it work? Can you help me with this? Even in e-mails, or another thread? Or should i turn to Microsoft?

I have tried previous graphic drivers (even with complete removal of the NVidia driver).
Kalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:02 PM   #25
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalman View Post
Thanks a lot for the information, didnt know, my laptop is that behind.

Even if there will not be any new driver, shouldn't the old one still work? I mean, the new update should really overwrite an already working driver, with a non-working version?

What drivers shall I downgrade to have it work? Can you help me with this? Even in e-mails, or another thread? Or should i turn to Microsoft?

I have tried previous graphic drivers (even with complete removal of the NVidia driver).
Good afternoon Kalman,

The old driver is not expected to work because this is a new OS feature in Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Therefore the driver would never have supported this.
In previous versions of Windows, instead of using (now) standard OS calls, we used a different methods.

The previous method could cause stability issues as each graphics driver update and months of work with each new version of Windows, especially in mutli/hybrid graphics systems... With Microsoft churning versions of the OS every two weeks through the Windows Insider Program, the few month development each time wouldn't have quite worked. Also, the new standard OS calls mean that having DisplayLink work is important to Microsoft as we helped design/develop it.

At the moment, I am waiting for Microsoft feedback to know what will happen next. And they are waiting for the graphics vendors to inform them about their progress.
If it turns out that the graphics vendors have actually already implemented the changes to pass-through the OpenGL, then the solution will be elsewhere.

Kind regards,
Alban

Old 12-01-2016, 07:05 PM   #26
N@UT

This thread interests me greatly.

I have an UP-BOARD SBC with HDMI out and also trying to use a USB3.0 display from Asus which uses the DisplayLink driver. OpenGL 3.3 and later work fine on an HDMI connected display, but not on the USB-connected display via DisplayLink driver.

I hope a fix is issued soon. Thanks.
N@UT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:01 PM   #27
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by N@UT View Post
I have an UP-BOARD SBC with HDMI out and also trying to use a USB3.0 display from Asus which uses the DisplayLink driver. OpenGL 3.3 and later work fine on an HDMI connected display, but not on the USB-connected display via DisplayLink driver.
Hello N@UT,
The fix as it stands today is getting graphics drivers supporting the indirect display driver model.
This will come from the graphics card vendor, unless Microsoft discovers something wrong in the OS.
OpenGL is for compute, therefore the OS gives the task to the graphics card to do: even for indirectly connected displays like DisplayLink, the graphics card does the computing. There is no reason for a difference in OpenGL version between a direct and an indirect display.

Kind regards,
Alban

Old 12-02-2016, 03:01 PM   #28
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by N@UT View Post
Hello N@UT,
The fix as it stands today is getting graphics drivers supporting the indirect display driver model.
This will come from the graphics card vendor, unless Microsoft discovers something wrong in the OS.
OpenGL is for compute, therefore the OS gives the task to the graphics card to do: even for indirectly connected displays like DisplayLink, the graphics card does the computing. There is no reason for a difference in OpenGL version between a direct and an indirect display.

Kind regards,
Alban

Old 12-02-2016, 03:45 PM   #29
cml

Default compatibility list

Hello Alban,

is it somehow possible for you to ask Microsoft for a kind of compatibility list of graphic-card-drivers which are able to support the new standard calls? Maybe you can provide this list then to us.
In my case it is a "Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000" built in a Lenovo laptop. The driver I'm using is version 10.18.10.4358 dated 21.12.2015 (as far as I know there is no newer available). This version obviously is not able to manage to use the OpenGL 4.x renderer from the graphics card when DisplayLink gets involved.
Any chance that I can continue using DisplayLink anymore, if I would - or better: have to - upgrade soon to win anniversary upgrade?

kind regards
Carsten

Last edited by cml; 12-02-2016 at 03:59 PM. Reason: some more details
cml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:58 PM   #30
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cml View Post
Hello Alban,

is it somehow possible for you to ask Microsoft for a kind of compatibility list of graphic-card-drivers which are able to support the new standard calls? Maybe you can provide this list then to us.
In my case it is a "Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000"-driver, Version 10.18.10.4358
dated 21.12.2015 (as far as I know there is no newer available).
Any chance that I can continue using DisplayLink anymore, if I would - or better: have to - upgrade soon to win anniversary upgrade?

kind regards
Carsten
Hello CML,

That version predates Windows 10 Anniversary Update by too much to support it.
The hint is the version number starts with 10. A driver made for the initial Windows 10 (WDDM 2.0) would start with 20. 10 should mean WDDM 1.3 so intrduced for Windows 8.1
You have a more recent driver for your graphics card: v4525 from May 2016. However I doubt it will have it: it looks like it's Intel 3rd Gen CPU (Ivy Bridge) which is out of support. To install it, you must take the zip version and assign it through Device Manager if the executable has been blocked by your machine manufacturer.

Kind regards,
Alban

Tags
intel, nvidia, opengl