Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-16-2019, 08:39 AM   #1
mgrayeb

Default DisplayLink Impact on CPU and GPU

Hello,
I have an HP Omen 15 laptop with two secondary 14" monitors. One of those displays is powered by USB, and the other is powered by Thunderbolt (USB-C).

When I plug both of those monitors into the laptop, my understanding is that the laptop is using DisplayLink technology to display whatever content is shown on the monitors; is that correct?

If yes, can you please give me a sense of what kind of impact that has on the GPU and/or CPU of the laptop?

The reason I ask is because I'm doing live streaming with the laptop using a software product called vMix, streaming to both Facebook and YouTube, and sometimes bringing in remote guests using WebRTC video calls inside of vMix, and also sometimes simultaneously bringing in an additional guest and screen sharing via the Zoom meeting platform.

I am not using the laptop for gaming, but rather for video panel discussions with multiple guests as outlined above, along with graphic frames containing the guests for the live streaming show. I hope that is clear.

My understanding from vMix support is that using USB and USB-C powered displays might slow down vMix so it is not recommended.

Thank you.
mgrayeb is offline   Reply With Quote