Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 04-08-2018, 03:57 AM   #161
Poly

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Dear DisplayLink Mac Users,
Finding a solution to this issue remains the highest business priority within DisplayLink.
Our teams are investigating several potential workarounds that could enable some level of extended desktop functionality to be restored in 10.13.4. In parallel, we are continuing to explore with Apple routes to a permanent and complete solution.
Big thanks to the DisplayLink team for not giving up. I hope DisplayLink docks will be back to normal soon. Although you compress video data for USB and decompress on chip, have you explored this "hack" yet?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...-work.1974167/

What if you trick the macOS into "display port alt-mode" and transmit video data via the extra lanes? The DisplayLink SoC may needs a reprogramming for accepting data via Display Port than USB directly. The hack in the link above perhaps also requires macOS to allow support for MST – if you want to run two extended monitors, which it never did on Intel GPUs.

The downside is that USB 3 ports will drop to USB 2.0 due to lack of bandwidth.

I'm trying to give you ideas, although I might be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommiy View Post
Ok that sounds like a commitment that the original capabilities will not be returned even when if a new driver is delivered. Guess it really is time to find the alternative.
There are no alternatives. DisplayLink's business model (unique selling point) is solely based on their proprietary compression technology, allowing them to squeeze a broad bandwidth video signal through a tight USB cable.

It seems Apple has fundamentally changed how frame buffers are passed on to external displays. As far as I understand the DisplayLink driver was sort of a Man-in-the-Middle hack – hijacking the frame buffers and compressing them for the USB's bandwidth bottleneck. Apparently, that trick doesn't work anymore. Now, if that's the case it does take more effort than just a few new lines of code.

We just have to be patient, stick with 10.13.3 for now, and hope everything will be fine again soon.

Last edited by Poly; 04-08-2018 at 03:59 AM.
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:40 PM   #162
torimorris1

Has this issue been resolved for you? I am experiencing the same problem and am wondering if you've found a solution.
torimorris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:45 PM   #163
torimorris1

Exclamation Display does not work

I am operating High Sierra 10.13 and my display is stuck in sleep mode. Have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver several times to no avail.

Please help me find a solution!
torimorris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:52 PM   #164
phrogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Dear DisplayLink Mac Users,
In the meantime, we have today released a second beta of our 4.3 driver. Installing this driver will enable cloning of the native display on DisplayLink connected screens.
4.3 Beta 2 improves the current workaround by preserving the primary display aspect ratio and allowing to select which screen is cloned in a multiple display setup.
Since this is a new solution, how about some quick documentation of how to choose and set which monitor is cloned? I'm not seeing a place to make that choice right now.
phrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:36 PM   #165
anotherandrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by azink View Post
Does anyone know any alternate products for USB video? I don't think this will be resolved quickly (if ever) but all USB external monitor solutions seem to be using DisplayLink...
MCT makes similar but inferior products. I have one (within a J5Create USB dock) but I do not recommend them. Since upgrading to High Sierra their driver has consumed high amounts of CPU and neither J5Create nor MCT seem willing to give the matter serious attention. Even when it was working prior to High Sierra it was a rather poor solution.

I have numerous DisplayLink adapters (USB2 and USB3) and they're all working very well on this 2012 11" Air (running 10.13.3) and I'm confident that DisplayLink will have this resolved as quickly as possible.
anotherandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:30 PM   #166
aehsmu

Default 10.3.5 Beta 1 - No change

Didn't think it would matter, but first beta of 10.3.5 does not change the DisplayLink problem.
--
Eric H.
--
aehsmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:53 AM   #167
challgren

I did happen to find a alternative solution, Matrox DualHead2Go Digital ME works with macOS 10.13.4 its a bit more expensive than a DisplayLink adapter but it works in 10.13.4. Basically splits the display in 2. The dock and title bar end up split between the screens but it works
challgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:36 AM   #168
Okibi

Thank you! Please keep the pressure on Apple.

Is there anywhere Mac users can register their annoyance / frustration to help convince Apple to fix this bug asap?

I initially bought a pair of the apple USB-C to HDMI adapters, these were absolutely junk, each time I woke my brand new power mac it would hunt for monitors, connect them, then disconnect them, connect them again and get stuck in a loop requiring me to disconnect the monitors and add them back on, one by one.

I bought a nice plugable dock to overcome Apples useless dongles making my MacBookPro usable once more.

Apples latest update has me stuck using their crappy dongles again. There was a time when Apple prided themselves on their easy of use and quality of products (especially when using their own peripherals), these days they're bloody useless.
Okibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:59 AM   #169
Poly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okibi View Post
Is there anywhere Mac users can register their annoyance / frustration to help convince Apple to fix this bug asap?
Since not everybody has an Apple's Developer ID, the only other way I could think of is via www.change.org

Alternatively, you can also vandalize in an Apple Store to express your frustration.

Last edited by Poly; 04-12-2018 at 02:17 AM.
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:43 PM   #170
slvrscoobie

Does anyone know if you can clone the native display while its closed in Clamshell mode? I use mine thusly, so installing beta 2 would allow me to use 2 monitors (one displayport and the 'cloned native display') effectively. however if since the native display is off, and it wont work, doesnt help me much.
slvrscoobie is offline   Reply With Quote