Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2020, 01:19 PM   #1
PilotPete

Default Displaylink not working after upgrade Catalina 10.15.4

Hi,
I have a Macbook Air that ran great with two screens using the Displaylink. After I upgraded my mac - yesterday - the external screens stopped working. I upgraded the displaylink driver to the latest BETA version, but still not working. I read through all your support docs. The install looked like it loaded cleanly, with no error messages. However, when I checked to see if the DisplayLink extension was enabled, it wasn't even there. I tried a few times to uninstall, install, reboot, etc. But it doesn't work/ and no extension. I need my two screen for website design. Any help would be appreciated. I'm not a coder, or software engineer, so be gentle. Thanks in advance.
Pete
PilotPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:18 PM   #2
apb

Default Similar Problem

After upgrading to Catalina 10.15.4 (from 10.15.3) my DisplayLink monitor stopped working on my MacMini.

I read stuff here. I checked that the extension was still installed. I checked that it had permission to read the display. I rebooted. I uninstalled the Beta-version driver and reverted to the Release-version driver. I checked everything again. DisplayLink monitor remained blank.

Same monitor, same software on my MacBook: works fine.

Then I followed the directions here to report an issue. Downloaded the report tool, and ran it. Then I realized that the DisplayLink monitor was still plugged into my MacBook, so I reconnected it to the mini. It worked.

Thats right — the only thing that worked was running the reporting tool (while the DisplayLink monitor was not connected). Maybe it kicked the USB bus somehow? Very strange.
apb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 06:56 AM   #3
KatarzynaCzaja
DisplayLink Tech Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotPete View Post
Hi,
I have a Macbook Air that ran great with two screens using the Displaylink. After I upgraded my mac - yesterday - the external screens stopped working. I upgraded the displaylink driver to the latest BETA version, but still not working. I read through all your support docs. The install looked like it loaded cleanly, with no error messages. However, when I checked to see if the DisplayLink extension was enabled, it wasn't even there. I tried a few times to uninstall, install, reboot, etc. But it doesn't work/ and no extension. I need my two screen for website design. Any help would be appreciated. I'm not a coder, or software engineer, so be gentle. Thanks in advance.
Pete
Hello PilotPete,
Could you tell us what exactly is the DisplayLink device you are working with?
Also I have to ask you to go through the steps described in https://support.displaylink.com/know...to-displaylink as we need to run additional analysis of th logfiles gathered from your PC. You can later attach the ZIP file to your post here.

Best regards,
Katarzyna
KatarzynaCzaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 06:45 PM   #4
PilotPete

I'm using the D6000 Dell Universal Dock. I attached two zip files for you. Also, if it helps, my dock is no longer charging my laptop. When connected the top menu shows the adapter connected, but not charging. All other devices attached to the D6000 seem to be working properly: ethernet, keyboard, speakers, usb drive. Again, the day prior to me upgrading the mac OS, everything worked properly and I was able to work on my website. After I upgraded, my two external screens; Samsung and an Acer, stopped working.

Thanks,
Pete
Attached Files
File Type: zip DisplayLinkInfo_Output_20200410_141008.zip (5.18 MB, 0 views)
File Type: zip DisplayLinkInfo_Output_20200410_134629.zip (554.7 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by PilotPete; 04-11-2020 at 01:04 AM.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:53 PM   #5
Pedro Pessôa

Hi,

I'm facing the same problem! I was still running Mojave on my MacBook Pro 13 2019 when my setup with the D6000 Dell Universal Dock and two Dell P22h19h monitors worked perfectly. Yesterday I had Catalina 10.15.4 installed and nothing seems to work anymore. I have also tried installing every beta and non beta versions available. Despite all efforts, my MBP screen kept flickering non stop after each installation when connected to the dock. I have checked kernel extension and screen recording settings and they're both enabled. I would really appreciate some help!

Thanks!
Pedro
Pedro Pessôa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 01:03 AM   #6
PilotPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotPete View Post
I'm using the D6000 Dell Universal Dock. I attached two zip files for you. Also, if it helps, my dock is no longer charging my laptop. When connected the top menu shows the adapter connected, but not charging. All other devices attached to the D6000 seem to be working properly: ethernet, keyboard, speakers, usb drive. Again, the day prior to me upgrading the mac OS, everything worked properly and I was able to work on my website. After I upgraded, my two external screens; Samsung and an Acer, STOPPED WORKING.

Thanks,
Pete
Sorry typo - After I upgraded everything stopped working!
Old 04-11-2020, 02:25 PM   #7
PilotPete

Default The Fix That Worked For Me

So I did more research on the Apple Forum and found reseting the SMC fixed the problem. I hope this helps everyone.

Notebook computers with the T2 chip
Before resetting the SMC, try these steps:
1. Shut down your Mac.
2. Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds, then release the button.
3. Wait a few seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.
If the issue persists, follow these steps to reset the SMC:
1. Shut down your Mac.
2. On your built-in keyboard, press and hold all of the following keys. Your Mac might turn on.
• Control on the left side of your keyboard
• Option (Alt) on the left side of your keyboard
• Shift on the right side of your keyboard
3. Keep holding all three keys for 7 seconds, then press and hold the power button as well. If your Mac is on, it will turn off as you hold the keys.
4. Keep holding all four keys for another 7 seconds, then release them.
5. Wait a few seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:58 PM   #8
Pedro Pessôa

Default SMC reset solved my problem as well!

@PilotPete, thank you so much! I tried the first steps before resetting the SMC and I managed to get one of my external monitors running. Resetting the SMC solved the problem for both!

Best regards,
Pedro
Pedro Pessôa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 09:27 AM   #9
KatarzynaCzaja
DisplayLink Tech Support

Hello,

@PilotPete and @Pedro Pessôa, other solution to your situation would be to upgrade the dock's firmware but I am glad you were both able to get your devices working!

Best regards,
Katarzyna
KatarzynaCzaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 01:07 AM   #10
PilotPete

My fix doesn't work anymore. How do I upgrade my firmware?