Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2016, 09:17 PM   #31
BRC

AlbanRampon, I also have a Toshiba Dynadock U (older, not the 3.0 version). When you say to "keep an eye on the future Release Notes for ID 23485" where do I find those release notes and is ID 23485 some sort of internal code for a 8.0M3 release?

On a related note about terminology, throughout forum posts and SW Release Notes on the issue of dock/device compatibility with DL software releases and with Windows 10 AE, DL techs keep referring to the DL-#xx (e.g. works with DL-5xxx, does not work with DL-1xxx)(I think this is the chipset version?) used in our devices. Is there a list somewhere of the common devices such as USB Docks by brand and model and which DL chipset they use? Or how does an end user determine what chipset is in the device we are using? I have scoured Toshiba documentation and specs for my device and do not find that info. So far Toshiba has failed to answer forum posts from fellow users on their website asking the same question. Moreover, contemplating that I may need to abandon this dock and purchase a new one, I don't kind that info listed for any other products from multiple vendors I have sampled. I even tried finding it for the recommended products on the DisplayLink website - and failed to find it. I would like to not buy another near-end-of-support device from the DisplayLink point of view, but don't know how to accomplish the proper homework.
BRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:17 PM   #32
r0bbienz

ROBSWIN10_20160831_110939.zip

Ive justed updated to 8.0 M2 and still a black screen - ive attached logs to hope it helps find the problem
r0bbienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:39 AM   #33
NedFlanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Thank you Tlh119, you have actually a third thing! You have a custom device supporting a special resolution for Thosiba.
I've added your logs for investigation to understand this device. As it's from 2007, it is not too fresh in anyone's memory so not sure what we can do yet.
Please keep an eye on the future Release Notes for ID 23485 in case I don't report progress here.
I am in the same boat. I also tried R8.0 M2 unsuccessfully (I have a Toshiba Dynadock-U as well). I still have my Windows 7 work laptop connected to Dynadock as is my desktop running Windows 10. I am still using the dynadock to connect to my mouse and keyboard on the Windows 10 machine but ever since the last windows cumulative update when I switch my USB port to the dynadock - windows (on my Win10 machine) is reinstalling the displaylink driver and this grabs the monitor before my video card can so I end up with the blank screen until I fire up my second monitor and switch to it long enough to get into device manager and uninstall or disable the display link driver and then back to my main monitor.

I am going to keep this up for a little while longer, but the Toshiba Dynadock might find itself flying through the back yard in a week or two if this keeps up.

Last edited by NedFlanders; 08-31-2016 at 01:40 AM.
NedFlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:49 AM   #34
AlbanRampon

Hello Ned, and all,

# Release Notes and Tracking Numbers
The Release Notes are the text file indicating changes between releases.
Next to the download, you have a text icon linking to them.
The ID 23485 is the internal tracking number under which reference this particular item is handled.
For instance, if you take 8.0 M2 Release Notes you will see the first item talks about Dell Display Manager and has (22933) at the end of the line.

# Product Obsolescence
DisplayLink does not design, manufacture, or sell any end product. We are a semiconductor vendor. What is in the end product by reference is not known to us until you send me the logs for that device. The manufacturer may change their design without notifying us, we are just one of their many suppliers of components.
Initially affected have been some products DisplayLink stopped selling 8 years ago, but not all of them are. DisplayLink stopping selling a chip does NOT mean the product is end of support because it's not DisplayLink who is responsible for the support, but the people making the devices: they may have million of spares and therefore continue support it. This is the same way nuclear plants have spare devices for the life of the plant, decades after the silicon vendor has stopped building the chips.

# Anniversary Update
What we have today is a very particular case: new operating system, with new way of doing things... which is now standard. The graphics subsystem of Windows 10 Anniversary Update is new, the fact Microsoft stopped increasing the 10 should not be believed it's the same version. The same way Apple releases a new Mac OS 10 every year.
I know it's not really helpful to solve everything, but that's what we have.

So let me summarise the current status, now we have 8.0 M2 issued.

# What Started Working Again on 8.0 M2 and Windows 10 builds >10586
1. Devices Based on DisplayLink First Generation Chip
DisplayLink stopped selling these chips about 10 years ago. I hope you can understand the priority was to support recent products. I am still adamant most companies wouldn't even bother about such old products, yet we have made them work again on 8.0 M2 because we want our products to work as long as we economically can!!!
These products work differently and are not firmware upgradable. Provided the implementation used doesn't have mass storage, then these now work again on 8.0 M2. I talked with my colleague and I'm changing the knowledgebase article to be clearer on this.

# What is Still Not Working With 8.0 M2, Only on Windows 10 builds >10586
1. Devices with mass storage or auto-install
This is not a particular DL-xxx reference because it's nothing to do our chip, it's the implementation chosen by the manufacturer. To answer your question about choice Ned, the only product listed on our website affected is the Diamond Multimedia WPCTPRO.
We currently don't have a workaround.

2. Toshiba Dynadock model circa. 2007
These devices are custom to enable higher resolution than their previous generation. We are looking into it now we have a reproduction of the issue.
The products affected have the Hardware ID USB\VID_17e9&PID_0113 (see in Device Manager).
Older products under that same commercial name under Hardware ID USB\VID_17e9&PID_0110 will now work on 8.0 M2.
Please don't throw it through the garden just yet...
Depending on the results of the investigation, I will be able to let you know if/when we can deliver something to address this. I expect a developer to start the analysis today.

# Summary
I hope you take my transparence in the spirit intended: we are working through the different items we can, and reporting things we can't handle ourselves to who can do something about them.
Unfortunately, I don't have unlimited engineering resources in my hands, therefore I have to prioritise what our customers request me to do with with the rest.
Everyone's feedback here has been key for me to understand how I prioritise the engineers' work, so thank you for taking the time to report your issues as otherwise they might not have been looked at: we can't fix something we don't know is a pressing issue.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:42 PM   #35
AllenL

I have installed 8.0 M2 on a clean machine and cannot get anything other than a black screen as well.

I have several HP HSTNN-S01X docking stations that are now just USB hubs because the DisplayLink drivers do not work.

Please assist if possible.
Attached Files
File Type: zip G1PC280_20160831_143721.zip (405.7 KB, 1 views)
AllenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:26 PM   #36
AlbanRampon

Hello Allen,
From the Device Manager, it looks like you have a "HP USB DOCK USB Device" with auto-install instead of the DisplayLink mode.
Can you check?
If that's the case, then you are hitting the limitation there is with the Win10 USB driver mentioned in this thread.
Kind regards,
Alban
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenL View Post
I have installed 8.0 M2 on a clean machine and cannot get anything other than a black screen as well.

I have several HP HSTNN-S01X docking stations that are now just USB hubs because the DisplayLink drivers do not work.

Please assist if possible.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:02 PM   #37
RichardL

Hi - I have just suffered the Windows 10 Anniversary update and have the black screen. My product has Hardware ID USB\VID_17e9&PID_0113, for which I understand a fix is being worked on. As and when this problem is resolved will you send the people on this thread an email to let them know?
Thanks and Good Luck
RichardL
RichardL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:01 AM   #38
FriendlyFire1104

Default Blank Screen Fix working - Win 10 Anniversary Issues

Using Dell Laptop, Dell D3100 docking station ending in A01 and dated June 2015.
Like everyone here, Win 10 Anniversary killed the video of the D3100.
Process I used to fix the issue:
Brought up the Display Settings and disabled the screen using the DisplayLink (the blinking made it almost impossible to do anything)
Removed old driver (app uninstall - DisplayLink)
In the Device Manager removed 2 D3100 under video (rt click - uninstall)
Ran DisplayLink Cleaner tool.
Rebooted
Ran Windows Update.
I actually reinstalled the M2 driver from DisplayLink before the next step hoping it would work, but it didn't.
Dell Website retrieved Video_Driver_T3YF7_WN32_20.19.15.4463_A04.EXE
This was key (I did the other stuff several times before getting the latest driver)
I enabled the DisplayLink screen as extended and it worked.
Bottom line: The Win 10 Anniversary update did not update the latest video drivers to my system. They did not show up when I did a further Win Update.
Hope this helps.
FriendlyFire1104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:08 PM   #39
AlbanRampon

@RichardL,
I hope to get a development build for the Toshiba Dynadock-U this week and will post how to get it. Development builds are not formal release quality, but as you have nothing today, I personally believe it's better.

@FriendlyFire,
Extremely useful information, thank you for posting.Were your screen blacks or blinking? This thread was because of no image, and your experience seems to differ. I would like to know to document this in our Windows 10 Anniversary Update KB article.

Kind regards,
Alban

Old 09-05-2016, 11:47 AM   #40
FriendlyFire1104

@AlbanRampon,
My display attached to the D3100 was black, the other two screens were blinking. By choosing Disconnect this display under settings the other screens stopped blinking. I wasn't sure if everyone realized the Windows Update doesn't necessarily get the latest drivers for your video adapter. Glad it was useful information. Let me know if you need any further info.
FriendlyFire1104 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black screen, lenovo usb 2.0, windows 10 1607