Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 07-17-2018, 07:14 AM   #1
lee1980

Question Re: Display link and Dell 3100 and graphics

Hi, oops posed in general first sorry!

For work I have a Dell Precision 7520 and it has a Nvidia Quadro M1200 graphics card.
In work use a Dell D3100 docking station. When plugged in using 2 monitors, software like Autodesk Revit tell's me it is using on board graphics Intel HD 530?

Reading and googling it seems a common issue, as this is a work laptop, is there an easy way around this in settings or drivers? that won't make it not work at all?

Does it matter which cables are used, currently using supplied cable from D3100 to usb 2.0 on laptop then display port and hdmi to monitors.

Seems madness if can not use this what was an expensive option on laptop.

Thanks
Regards

Lee.
lee1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:48 PM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello Lee,

You are probably using Windows 10 Anniversary Update onwards.
This is the current expected OS behaviour when both graphics card exists, the operating system will use the graphic card used for POST (boot, BIOS).

Should your platform allows disabling the onboard graphics totally, then this would work.
Otherwise, there is an OS improvement scheduled to address this in a future Windows 10 version so the indirect displays can suggest which card to use (=the best one, not the first one).
There is nothing you can change when the OS has booted to alter behaviour.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:25 AM   #3
lee1980

Thanks Alban,

Ok not sure what it is using, its only about 6 months old.
Will have to ask our I.T support about it but expect will know nothing of it, will mention how the card is being wasted if not used!

Thanks
Lee
lee1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 03:45 PM   #4
AlbanRampon

Hello,

Sure, in any case, a card will be wasted.
When the feature is available on the OS, we will be able to change affinity at run-time.

There are different types of combined graphics, I am not certain of what that machine has, and what it will offer you to be switched on/off.

Regards,
Alban

Old 09-21-2018, 08:53 PM   #5
bleemz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Otherwise, there is an OS improvement scheduled to address this in a future Windows 10 version so the indirect displays can suggest which card to use (=the best one, not the first one).
So when actually it's going to be fixed? I saw some posts back from 2016 complaining about this.. and still the problem persists.. You are selling a product with a limitation for a lot of users...
bleemz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:52 PM   #6
wemo

Angry D3100 + Dell 7559

Same question .....

Quote:
You are probably using Windows 10 Anniversary Update onwards.
This is the current expected OS behaviour when both graphics card exists, the operating system will use the graphic card used for POST (boot, BIOS).

Should your platform allows disabling the onboard graphics totally, then this would work.
There is nothing you can change when the OS has booted to alter behaviour.

Kind regards,
Alba
This seems to be a standard response to a particular set of issues where you have a laptop with two graphics cards and the system selects the worse one.

Whilst I admit the fault may have been caused by the Microsoft Windows 10 Anniversary update 1607 (released 2nd August 2016), it concerns me greatly that this has still not been fixed over 2 years later.

Support has since ended for the Anniversary Edition 1607 (Home/Pro 10th April 2018), and we have just had the1809 released - and the problem is still ongoing.

So when is the supposed OS improvement scheduled to be released ?
wemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:58 PM   #7
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Wemo,
The rules of the game have been very clear from the start.
Microsoft addresses items based on what is reported to them through the Feedback Hub.
Yet, very few people did so it wasn't scheduled. Despite being very frustrating, it is difficult to blame them for wanting to take decision based on data.

But since, we've enlisted the help of a major laptop manufacturer to have it prioritised.
If you have details of what is your problem, we can see if that's covered or not with the work now in progress.

Regards,
Alban

Old 10-31-2018, 11:46 AM   #8
wemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Wemo,
The rules of the game have been very clear from the start.
Microsoft addresses items based on what is reported to them through the Feedback Hub.
Yet, very few people did so it wasn't scheduled. Despite being very frustrating, it is difficult to blame them for wanting to take decision based on data.

But since, we've enlisted the help of a major laptop manufacturer to have it prioritised.
If you have details of what is your problem, we can see if that's covered or not with the work now in progress.

Regards,
Alban
Hi Alban,

Thanks for responding.

I can appreciate that the issue was caused by Microsoft and is up to Microsoft to resolve. I can also understand the other players in the game are yourselves as well as both of the graphics card manufacturers (in my case intel/nvidia) and the laptop manufacturers (in my case Dell). Lots of players is never good - especially when you are talking about huge companies the size of Dell, intel, Nvida and Microsoft.

The problem that the video card selected (intel) is used and not the more powerful nvidia 960. Not all manufacturers (looking at Dell here) allow you to disable the intel card in the BIOS. The Nvidia does seem to allow you to select the better graphics card in the game when connected to the D3100.

Further complication is that most software/game manufacturers are not aware of these issues - though I did come across a couple of games (I think steam: Middle-earth Shadows of Mordor) that provided you with the opportunity to change you graphics card whilst in the game setup (at work so hard to qualify).

The real annoying thing is that it was working a dream in Windows 10 until the Aniversary edition came along and screwed it all up. And now the Aniversary edition is end of life I feel that there is really no hope of getting this to work how it used to.

Though if some games can work it must be possible - pity there isnt some way to hijack the video card in some way (a bit like a reverse proxy hijacking the web traffic by hijackng the driver requests? A virtual graphics card driver?).

Unless there is some magical wand you can wave and fix the issue (I know its unlikely), I would suggest a slightly more realalistic approach to feedback stating that this is a known issue created by Microsoft and upto them to resolve - if they ever do - along with an unkown idea of timescale.

Furthermore - if a lot of users are having this issue perhaps some problem management around it and create a single thread for all users to post in so that you can guage the size of the problem?

Last edited by wemo; 10-31-2018 at 11:50 AM.
wemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:17 PM   #9
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello Wemo,

The option seen in these add-on applications, or more recently in Windows 10 allowing you to select your GPU can be misleading.
In a very simplified view, there are two different aspects in play here for you. The compute and the display. We could also simplify this by saying that the device creating the graphics is not necessarily the one used to display them: you need to compose the desktop from the surfaces from the different applications, not all of them necessarily calculated on the same GPU.
Some applications don't offer you the high end graphics because the application doesn't list adapters without display attached to it.

Currently in progress is trying to address both a bug in the display enumeration mechanism and allow our driver to select GPU affinity.
That's in progress today and started roughly early October.

The display enumeration mechanism bug means that if you have an indirect display (Miracast, DisplayLink...) as primary/main display, then the capability of the GPU are wrongly reported. An indirect display is a display not directly/physically connected to the GPU.
For that, the workaround to get the capability is to mark a direct display (like the laptop native screen) as primary.
Would you please be able to check which display is your primary display? Having the basic capability wrong affects performance as you lose hardware acceleration and sometimes lose access to an app which could refuse to load if it doesn't see OpenGL 3+, for instance.

All that applies to all versions since Anniversary (Redstone 1 to Redstone 4). With the latest combination of OS (RS5) and Intel graphics drivers, I don't have the "primary" display problem. I can't select the GPU (and I only have one) yet, that's next version of Windows 10. As this will need a change of the Windows API, we will need a new DisplayLink driver to leverage that new feature, and it's obviously planned to start as soon as we get the OS graphics development builds.

It's too late for the wand. Help would have been useful to get the work started earlier by using the Windows 10 Feedback Hub, the official feedback gathering mechanism Microsoft told us to use to get it prioritised.
Now the work has started.

Kind regards,
Alban