Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 02-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
+Frank Schulz

Default Status DisplayLink Software after recent Mac OS Update

Hi,
we all know the problems with the last update Mac OS 10.7.3 and now it is time to get a clear and straight answer what's going on with the DisplayLink Software for Mac.

Dear DisplayLink team,
there are a lot of Business users working with DisplayLink Adapters and Monitors with build in USB DisplayLink... We use this to increase productivity!

My Question:
Please give your community of DisplayLink users a clear advice what to do and what happen in the near future. With no honest answer I think you loosing a lot of trust and customers...

Regards
Frank
Today I open a post in this case on frank-schulz.com, its redirected to my Google+ Account: +Frank Schulz
+Frank Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:18 AM   #2
MarkL

I've ended up removing the Displaylink and got a Matrox DualHead2Go. Not the best solution (one screen split on two monitors) but it works.

I have not tried the DisplayLink on 10.7.3 yet. My MBP (15-inch, Mid 2009) is due for replacement next year, so I'll live with this until I get a new one without the Display adapter issues.
MarkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:18 AM   #3
Pyrliu

Question When can start using my Samsung LD220 monitor?

Dear DisplayLink team,

Since OSX Lion was released, I have not been able to use my Samsung LD220 display which relies on DisplayLink drivers to work on Mac.

Monitor has been standing on my workdesk unused for the past 6 months.

Now that the 10.7.3 update was released, I was hoping that I can start to use my monitor and the latest DisplayLink driver would be usable, but reading through the forum, I can make a conclusion that you still don't have a working driver software.

I have a MacBook Pro 15'' late 2008.

Please inform me that should the latest driver work? Should I even try to install it? I'm hoping that you would inform me that should I even try because last time I spent hours of installing and removing the driver software (blank login screen problem).

If the latest drivers are not usable, what measures are your team taking to create a working driver?
Pyrliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:23 AM   #4
MarkL

Default Working!

OK, I'll take that back. First time I tried it was a no-go, but this may have been a power issue on the USB HUB and internal USB adapters (why oh why did apple only have two USB's on a 15" MBP I'll never know) rearranging the USB connections did the trick.

Tried the DisplayLink again using 10.7.3 and v1.7 of the driver on my MBP Mid 2009 Laptop. Icon Drag'n'drop fixed and extra screen now working!

I have 4 monitors now, external display out running on the Matrox DualHead2Go and one extra on the DisplayLink!

Thanks guys!
MarkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:28 AM   #5
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrliu View Post
Dear DisplayLink team,

Since OSX Lion was released, I have not been able to use my Samsung LD220 display which relies on DisplayLink drivers to work on Mac.

Monitor has been standing on my workdesk unused for the past 6 months.

Now that the 10.7.3 update was released, I was hoping that I can start to use my monitor and the latest DisplayLink driver would be usable, but reading through the forum, I can make a conclusion that you still don't have a working driver software.

I have a MacBook Pro 15'' late 2008.

Please inform me that should the latest driver work? Should I even try to install it? I'm hoping that you would inform me that should I even try because last time I spent hours of installing and removing the driver software (blank login screen problem).

If the latest drivers are not usable, what measures are your team taking to create a working driver?
Dear Pyrliu,

There is a bug in Max OS X that prevents our driver to work on your MPB model (and the mid 2009 model). This problem is shared by all software graphics on OS X 10.7.x. Apple has acknowledged the issue but has not given us a fix date for this issue so I can't answer your question unfortunately.
We know that 10.7.3 does not fix the issue, still have to try on 10.8 preview on this laptop model.
As it looks no future driver from DisplayLink will be able to resolve the issue: there is no point in trying new drivers with the same OS version.
As soon as the issue will be resolved in a Mac OS update we'll announce it on this forum.

In the short term I can only suggest to go back to 10.6.8 or change Mac.. not ideal I know.

Best regards,
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:22 AM   #6
displaylinker

Will we see a beta driver for 10.8 or 10.7.3 first?

If a beta driver for 10.8 is coming soon or already available, I might as well update my 2010 MBP to Mountain Lion first?! Who knows how long Apple will take to resolve this issue with Display Link for 10.7.3???
displaylinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by displaylinker View Post
Will we see a beta driver for 10.8 or 10.7.3 first?

If a beta driver for 10.8 is coming soon or already available, I might as well update my 2010 MBP to Mountain Lion first?! Who knows how long Apple will take to resolve this issue with Display Link for 10.7.3???
it doesn't matter what you do,

If you read the official response. nothing they do can fix the issue and they're waiting on apple to assist them in finding the solution.
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
displaylinker

If we are waiting for Apple to fix something, then I guess this time it will really be the death of displaylink solution for rotated displays.

Apple hasn't had a great history in fixing things quickly and efficiently. My iPhone 4S 5.01 still has battery drain issues. It took them forever to go from 10.7.2 to 10.7.3 as well, the list goes on.

Time to find a more permanent alternative solution I suppose. But the Matrox edualhead card solution sounds unstable, not to mention a weird cutting a desktop in half, not even sure if it can do rotated displays either.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:25 AM   #9
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by displaylinker View Post
If we are waiting for Apple to fix something, then I guess this time it will really be the death of displaylink solution for rotated displays.

Apple hasn't had a great history in fixing things quickly and efficiently. My iPhone 4S 5.01 still has battery drain issues. It took them forever to go from 10.7.2 to 10.7.3 as well, the list goes on.
Well, thank you for the positive thinking!

We're definitely waiting for Apple for a fix for the MBP 2008/2009 compatibility issues but we're not sitting idle about rotation. Something changed in 10.7.3 obviously but we think we can influence this behaviour and are actively researching a fix.

A few people in this forum might remember the last time an OS update broke our resolution management: it was 10.6.3 and we fixed it. We're confident we can do this again for 10.7.3 and even for 10.8.3 if it will be necessary (who knows?).

Kind regards,
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #10
displaylinker

Thanks for the shot of confidence, Carlo. Eagerly waiting for your fix.

I just don't have much faith in Apple based on their recent history of breaking things, nothing against displaylink. In fact, I'm very much looking forward to your USB3.0 solutions to support larger resolution monitors, but again Apple's refusal to support USB3.0 in the past will limit the usability of a USB3.0 displaylink solution on my Mac, unless again Apple changes its ways which I am not holding my breath for, given their history on blu-ray as well.