Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2014, 04:53 PM   #1
EddieMa

Default Any news re Mavericks API fixes from Apple?

I feel like we're being abandoned:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3977

Apple sounds to have disavowed responsibility by putting the onus on the manufacturer of third party devices / software.

Now I don't know how DisplayLink drivers do their magic, but is it possible to move some of the more broken features off of kernel space as a stop gap until Apple decides to support DL again?

E.g. MacFuse is a userspace filesystem, and moves the responsibility of talking to mounted devices away from kernelspace while sacrificing some speed -- at this point, speed of DL displays is a non-issue if it won't even work.
EddieMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:16 AM   #2
Carlo
Mac Team

Hi EddieMa,

Don't despair: if you have ever worked with Apple this is kind of normal. We are continuing to look at every opportunity to improve the user experience and we involve Apple regularly as much as we can.

We have some improvements/workarounds coming that are already possible without changes to the OS.
Other issues we just don't think we can do anything about but past history says that in most cases OS fixes came. A bit late maybe!

Overall I'm optimistic: I don't know about the other products mentioned in the KB article but USB displays are too good for OS X to miss them.

Cheers!
Carlo

Last edited by Carlo; 01-06-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:15 PM   #3
alphadog

Carlo - any idea when we can see a new driver or if there will be a beta program? I know all to well that no one will ever commit to a date - but can we get a "this month" or "this quarter" time frame?
alphadog is offline   Reply With Quote