Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
TTD2012

Default USB-VGA-165 stop working

It didn't work couple times last week but I was able to reinstall the drivers and then got it work again.

This morning it didn't work again when I booted up the HP laptop (Win 7 Home 64 bit).

Again, I tried to download the latest version 6.3 from the displaylink site and reinstalled it. It didn't work this time.

I removed the Display link core program and disabled the DisplayLink Manager from startup service. Then, reinstall the driver. Then, plug the USB back in. (also tried all 3 USB ports)

In Device Manager, you can see USB Display Adapters - Plugable USB VGA-165
with hardware Ids - USB\VID_17E9&PID_037B&ReV_0101

I noticed Plugable's web site suggested using 5.6M1 instead of 6.3
http://plugable.com/drivers/displaylink/usb-2-0/

Which one is right for this adapter?

The DisplayLink Manager service has also been started. And the Core software and graphics were installed as well.

I have also reconnected all the cables.

During my reinstall, reboot process, there was once the USB driver wasn't installed properly (resulting in a failure popup) But I reinstalled it again and it seemed fine.

It is just somehow, I can't extend the desktop to the new display like I used to..
TTD2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
TTD2012

I removed 6.3 and reinstalled 5.6M1 and things are back to normal

So, apparently, the new driver won't work on the USB-VGA-165 under Win 7 64.

I also tried 6.2 M2, same problem.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
TTD2012

I celebrated too early.

This morning when I turned on the computer, the display stop working again.

1. I checked device manager and it didn't seem to have any error message. I could see the Display adapter - USB-VGA-165 .

2. I unplug the usb and replug it back in. This time, the display adapter didn't show up in device manager.

3. I tried all 3 usb ports. I can hear the ding ding USB connect and disconnect sound continuously. So, it is probably tryiing to install the driver for the usb.

4. Finally, I uninstalled the driver and reinstall 5.6M, plug it back to the usb.
And it is working without reboot.

What cause this kind of problem?
Old 07-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #4
TTD2012

I ran a few more tests.

This problem with driver only works the first time it was installed is not unique to 5.6 but to 6.3 as well.

The DisplayLink Manager run for the first time when it noticed the USB display connection and then install driver and driver installed successfully. But then, if u reboot the machine, or just plug and unplug the USB again, it won't work.

I also tried a different monitor, cables but the problem is repeatable. The adapter works the first time after you installed the driver but not the 2nd time.

Again, anyone knows about this kind of problem?