Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 07-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
jhargis1012

Default Unable to get Dual External Displays to Work on Surface Pro with Windows 8 Pro

Hello, all.

I have a Surface Pro running Windows 8 Pro. I am trying to set it up with dual external displays. I am attempting to plug one external monitor into an HP 3005pr USB 3.0 Port Replicator (an HP branded DisplayLink product as I understand it) via a DVI to HDMI adapter, while the other monitor is plugged into the Surface's mini-DisplayPort port via a miniDP to DVI adapter.

The external monitor plugged into the miniDP works fine. It continues to work fine when I plug in the Port Replicator. Unfortunately, as soon as I plug the second external monitor in to the Replicator, my issue occurs. I never see a picture on the second monitor. I do see the monitor acting like it gets a signal (that is, it wakes from power save mode) and sometimes I will see just a frozen Windows loading icon in the very center of the screen, but that's it. In addition, as soon as the second monitor is plugged in, the screen on the primary monitor starts flashing repeatedly (that is, the picture disappears and reappears over and over again) until I unplug the secondary monitor.

One thing that is interesting is see two listings under USB Display Adapters (see attached image).

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as I would rather get this working than return the product.

Thank you in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DisplayLink.JPG (34.8 KB, 4 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip LZRSURFACETEST_20130701_145642.zip (1.98 MB, 8 views)
jhargis1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
JamesH

Hi,

Do you get the same issue if you swap the monitors over?

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
jhargis1012

Hi, JamesH. Thanks for your reply.

Do you mean swap the monitors so that the monitor that was plugged into the replicator is now plugged into the Surface and the one that was plugged into the Surface is now plugged into the Replicator?

If so, I just tried it. Similar results, except rather than a flashing image on the screen plugged into the Surface I get a black screen with just a flashing mouse cursor. As soon as I unplug the replicator, I get a perfectly fine picture on the monitor plugged into the Surface (same as before).

Both monitors are fairly new (both less than six months old) Dell monitors.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
JamesH

Hi,

I've got a virtually identical setup here with a Surface Pro, dock and two 1080p monitors - one via the miniDP output and one via the dock.

I've been unable to reproduce your issue.

Are both your displays set to extend ?

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #5
jhargis1012

Hi, JamesH. Thanks for your reply.

Yes, both displays are set to extend.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:52 PM   #6
jhargis1012

Great news! I finally got it work.

I figured the best way to weed out all the confounding variables would be to just do a system reset (full, all data back to out of box state) using Windows 8's built in restore feature. Here is all of what I did:

System Reset
Logged in with local user
Installed Windows Updates (there were a few stragglers for some reason, but about 40 were installed)
Joined the Domain
Modified some groups/users
Logged in with my Domain Account
Deleted local user
Downloaded latest DisplayLink driver and installed
Plugged in port replicator (everything was plugged into the dock already, BEFORE plugging the dock into the Surface).
Everything worked perfectly (I even rebooted just to make sure it didn't die again)

I hope this info helps anyone else.

DisplayLink, please take my logs off the forum. Feel free to keep them (nonpublicly) if they help you debug this issue.

Thanks
Old 07-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
jhargis1012

As time has gone on, this issue came up for me again in conjunction with some other issues and I now believe it to be related to group policy in my domain.

Hopefully that information helps some others.

Tags
hp 3005pr, usb 3.0, windows 8