Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 11-14-2016, 09:42 PM   #21
wahlfeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
Hi Whafield,

It's not clear to me what the USB topology is.
You mentioned DisplayLink Ethernet but it looks like a RealTek USB to Ethernet product is connected.
Also, the DisplayLink device connected is a Targus dock and I'm not sure the 8ware device has actually a DisplayLink chip in it: I have found no reference to DisplayLink drivers in their website.

So I'm wondering how the monitor is connected.
Can you please clarify how everything is connected? Logs would help too: http://support.displaylink.com/knowl...to-displaylink

Best regards,
Carlo
Alright, see below links for some photos of the setup. Plus, I've attached logs from that DisplayLink tool in the working and not working scenario. Let me know if you want me to do anything else.

http://i.imgur.com/AdQJT0X.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/p7w0Cg6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/t0XNpwB.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/joZxn73.jpg

Thanks Carlo!
wahlfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:59 AM   #22
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahlfeld View Post
Alright, see below links for some photos of the setup. Plus, I've attached logs from that DisplayLink tool in the working and not working scenario. Let me know if you want me to do anything else.

http://i.imgur.com/AdQJT0X.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/p7w0Cg6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/t0XNpwB.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/joZxn73.jpg

Thanks Carlo!
Thank you,

OK so the USB-C device is used as a C-to-A adapter and everything is connected to the Targus dock, which is handy so there's only one cable to connect.
The main issue is visible in both the DisplayLink and the system logs: at some point the USB 3 part of the hub in the Targus dock disappears.
In the DisplayLink logs this is shown as transfer errors and device unavailable. In the system log you can see transfer and wake errors in both USB2 and USB3 devices and then only the USB2 part of the hub is reset while the USB 3.0 part of the hub is longer there, together with the DisplayLink device.

USB 3 is difficult hardware-wise because of both higher speed and more advanced power management so looks like something is borderline in your use case and fails.
I'd think about the USB-C adapter as the first thing to try and replace, but you may also want to try with a different, shorter, USB cable between the Targus and the adapter.

A separate issue is with the monitor. I'm seeing 8 different monitor description files so unless you are trying eight different monitors it is likely that there is a problem connecting to the monitor. Most likely the connection, I'd check the DVI cable.

Bes regards,
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:53 AM   #23
wahlfeld

Quote:
Thank you,

OK so the USB-C device is used as a C-to-A adapter and everything is connected to the Targus dock, which is handy so there's only one cable to connect.
The main issue is visible in both the DisplayLink and the system logs: at some point the USB 3 part of the hub in the Targus dock disappears.
In the DisplayLink logs this is shown as transfer errors and device unavailable. In the system log you can see transfer and wake errors in both USB2 and USB3 devices and then only the USB2 part of the hub is reset while the USB 3.0 part of the hub is longer there, together with the DisplayLink device.

USB 3 is difficult hardware-wise because of both higher speed and more advanced power management so looks like something is borderline in your use case and fails.
I'd think about the USB-C adapter as the first thing to try and replace, but you may also want to try with a different, shorter, USB cable between the Targus and the adapter.

A separate issue is with the monitor. I'm seeing 8 different monitor description files so unless you are trying eight different monitors it is likely that there is a problem connecting to the monitor. Most likely the connection, I'd check the DVI cable.

Bes regards,
Carlo
Hey Carlo thanks for the quick and detailed reply,

Just as a bit of context, I work in an office environment with hotdesks - some desks have two monitors and some have one. But all desks have the same peripherals and LAN connection. A colleague of mine has recently started using a Macbook Pro 13" (older model) and she hasn't had any of the issues I'm having which is why I thought it's either a problem with drivers or the USB-C adapter.

I'm sure you understand that these adapters aren't cheap, so I'm a bit reluctant to go out and buy another one just for testing. I might have to wait until I come across someone else with a different adapter to try.

EDIT: Unless I get something like this?
EDIT2: Bought an Apple USB-C to USB adapter this morning and it doesn't work either (see attachment + link below)

http://i.imgur.com/hn8ZtQW.jpg

Out of interest, do you know if others are having problems with their adapters? Any of which using the newest Macbooks?

Thanks,
Curtis
Attached Files
File Type: zip Curtis’ MacBook_20161116_100428 NOT WORKING V2.zip (5.10 MB, 1 views)

Last edited by wahlfeld; 11-15-2016 at 11:10 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:39 AM   #24
Carlo
Mac Team

Hi wahlfeld,

In my tests with the first-gen MacBook the adapter with video from Apple was flaky with some devices but the simpler C-to-A one you just got worked well.
We are also testing with the current MacBook and we're not seeing these issues.
So it is likely something specific with your setup... the Targus dock is a known entity, has been in the market for ages and since you are hot desking you have quite a lot of these around and I assume you don't see different behaviour with specific ones.

Could be a batch of longer USB3 cables that IT put in to hide the dock and cable mess behind the desk maybe?

We have this dock model in our lab, we'll give it a go with a MacBook8,1 and USB C-to-A adapter to double check.

Best regards,
Carlo
Old 11-16-2016, 09:43 PM   #25
wahlfeld

Quote:
Hi wahlfeld,

In my tests with the first-gen MacBook the adapter with video from Apple was flaky with some devices but the simpler C-to-A one you just got worked well.
We are also testing with the current MacBook and we're not seeing these issues.
So it is likely something specific with your setup... the Targus dock is a known entity, has been in the market for ages and since you are hot desking you have quite a lot of these around and I assume you don't see different behaviour with specific ones.

Could be a batch of longer USB3 cables that IT put in to hide the dock and cable mess behind the desk maybe?

We have this dock model in our lab, we'll give it a go with a MacBook8,1 and USB C-to-A adapter to double check.

Best regards,
Carlo
Appreciate all the effort Carlo and others.

You're correct about not seeing different behaviour depending on the desk. Every desk is the same, where the dock will work the first time after a restart every time. As soon as it's unplugged from my Mac, none of the docks work until I make a restart.

I don't quite understand how the length of the cable could play a part here. My colleague with a Macbook Pro doesn't have any issues, and I don't have any issues with the dock when it's working. Like I said, the problem is that the USB3 devices like LAN and any monitors will fail after I've disconnected and reconnected.

If I'm getting the same outcome regardless of the dock (and cable) or the USB-C/A adapter, and the docks are working consistently with non-Macbooks, then surely that must mean it's software related or specifically my Macbook, right?

Ah I dunno, let me know how you go in the lab.

Thanks again,
Curtis
Old 11-22-2016, 04:37 AM   #26
wahlfeld

How did it go Carlo? Any updates?

Curtis
Old 11-23-2016, 10:07 AM   #27
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahlfeld View Post
If I'm getting the same outcome regardless of the dock (and cable) or the USB-C/A adapter, and the docks are working consistently with non-Macbooks, then surely that must mean it's software related or specifically my Macbook, right?

Ah I dunno, let me know how you go in the lab.

Thanks again,
Curtis
Hi,

Well the same SW is running on most Macs with the possible notable exception of the host controller driver. So SW is unlikely.

Unfortunately both our MacBooks are being used for urgent work for the next release, we have a task up to check this use case ASAP. Apologies for the delay!

Carlo
Old 11-24-2016, 07:08 PM   #28
paultzirides

Thumbs up Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter

So I was gifted with a new MacBook from work (thanks boss!), and decided to try my luck with the following setup:
  1. DVI monitor > Anker USB 3.0 Dual Video dock > USB port on Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter
  2. Monitor > HDMI port on Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter
  3. Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter > MacBook

I tried it two ways
  1. Everything connected and plugged in, then turning MacBook on.
  2. ONLY Monitor > HDMI port, turning MacBook on, THEN connecting USB 3.0 Dock.

The first way (everything connected BEFORE turning on MacBook) yielded some inconsistent results. Sometimes everything would light up great and performance would be fine. Other times, the internal display on the MacBook would remain dark and performance would be flaky, with lots of horizontal "tearing" occurring with any interaction.

The second method produced much more reliable results. Apparently, having everything plugged in FIRST makes the OS behave strangely.

I tried the same experiment with a Plugable USB 3.0 Dual-Head Graphics and Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (Amazon link here), and it worked fine either way (or maybe it worked fine the few times I tried it, I don't use that one very often).

Either way, I can confirm that it generally does "work" the way I expected, but not consistently enough to feel 100% confident.

Additionally, we have been using this Dell USB-C dock at the office for all of the XPS laptops that we have, and it behaves very strangely. The MacBook recognizes the device, and the displays light up, but both external displays are mirrored, no matter which port they are connected to. I believe this is due to some proprietary Dell software that they are using to divvy up the displays properly. I will test to see if the following setup works as expected:
  1. Monitor > Dell Dock > USB-C port Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter
  2. Monitor > HDMI port on USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter
  3. USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter > MacBook
There's a lot of circuitry in there, and I don't have high hopes that it will work properly, but I will test anyway.

Let me know if you need anything from me in re: testing/logs, etc. to help out.
paultzirides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 02:03 PM   #29
Carlo
Mac Team

Thank you Paul,

Very useful information.
This is not dissimilar from my experience with the multi port adapter. It's not behaving consistently and in my case was quite picky on the power output as well.

From what I've seen so far, USB-C with alternate mode and power delivery is very tricky to get right. We'll continue to run tests but the first hand experiences from the forum as invaluable.

Carlo
Old 11-25-2016, 08:40 PM   #30
paultzirides

Default Update on adapters

So maybe I spoke too soon. I've been using the Plugable dual-display adapter connected to the Apple adapter for a couple days now, and I have some updates on expected vs. observed behavior.

My MacBook is set NOT to sleep, but the displays turn off after 5 minutes. After coming back, the internal display does NOT light up as expected, but the external displays do (Monitor > HDMI on Apple adapter, as well as monitor > Plugable adapter). Unplugging the Apple adapter and plugging back in again causes everything to go back to normal. This is keeping in mind that the Plugable adapter is connected to the USB port on the Apple adapter.

Based on what I have experienced in the past, this is new behavior. Typically, when everything comes flooding back at once, things get weird, but it looks like simply unplugging the Apple adapter (and thus the connected Plugable adapter) and plugging it back in sets everything right again. Thankfully, this is a super easy fix, and not really a nuisance since we would have to do this constantly with the Dell docks anyway.

I will most likely be picking up a Plugable triple-display adapter based on my experience with their other products, and because it seems to strike the best balance between convenience and function. Based on my experience with the Apple adapter, I feel confident that this one will work consistently enough to not be a bother.

Thanks for all your support and hard work! Keep the updates coming
paultzirides is offline   Reply With Quote