Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED - 9.0 Alpha/Beta for Windows

Old 09-24-2018, 06:37 PM   #1
uit

Default Turn off C:\Windows\Temp\DisplayLink\FirmwareTrace.log

SysInternals Procmon shows an insane number of constant writes averaging seven per second to this file:

C:\Windows\Temp\DisplayLink\FirmwareTrace.log

"C:\Windows\System32\WUDFHost.exe" -HostGUID:{193a1820-d9ac-4997-8c55-be817523f6aa} -IoEventPortName:\UMDFCommunicationPorts\WUDF\HostP rocess-bc43a639-9857-43b0-9cc6-100e82db9a5f -SystemEventPortName:\UMDFCommunicationPorts\WUDF\H ostProcess-0d34ee95-f09f-40fa-9c7d-4057d348de19 -IoCancelEventPortName:\UMDFCommunicationPorts\WUDF \HostProcess-5eea0ddf-dc59-4097-bc7a-d979107d9b02 -NonStateChangingEventPortName:\UMDFCommunicationPo rts\WUDF\HostProcess-0faeb87a-d8a6-4df7-bce7-f95ac6eb59ed -LifetimeId:d8197eb9-4b9f-4e08-b41d-bc0be25869e1 -DeviceGroupIdlDevices

Is there any way to stop it, especially on write sensitive SSD's?

BTW, I tried using two different folder junctions to redirect it to a Ramdisk, no luck. It doesn't like the redirect and hops over to using a different temp folder.

Last edited by uit; 09-25-2018 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:07 PM   #2
AlbanRampon

Hello,
Have you enabled advanced logging?
You would see if C:\Windows\Temp\DisplayLink has date+timestamp in the filenames for
DisplayLinkManager*.log and FirmwareTrace*.log.
Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
Old 09-25-2018, 06:52 PM   #3
uit

Hello,

No, I have not enabled any logging. I simply installed DL 9 Alpha on top of native Win10 1807 DL 8.x drivers and that's it. I can't even find a Start menu icon or settings GUI for DL besides the Display Link Manager tray icon but that only shows Audio Setup and Video Setup, nothing else.

Could the developers have inadvertently left debug tracing enabled?

Is there some other way to turn off logging? It's chewing up my SSD.

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2018, 10:53 PM   #4
uit

There's is a real problem with incessant logging and it's in the DisplayLink software since at least version 8.6.1104.0 !

I wiped and reinstalled Windows 10 Enterprise v1709, ran Windows Updates, connected the 6950 Dock, Windows installed it's DisplayLink driver 8.2.1952.0, 5/22/17, and all was fine (no excessive logging).

Then, I installed DL 9 Alpha and immediately the excessive logging started, but it's not just an issue with just DL 9 Alpha, v8.6.1104.0 has the same problem, and (if memory serves), v8.4 M0 12-11-17 suffers the same bad behavior too.

Can a flash update singularly to turn off logging be released quickly, please? I hate it needlessly wasting my expensive SSD 24x7 7x/sec. :-(

Thanks!

Last edited by uit; 09-25-2018 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:00 AM   #5
uit

I want to revert back to the Windows 10 WHQL DisplayLink driver 8.2.1952.0, 5/22/17, but after having installed DL 8.x and 9 Alpha, and even after running the DL Cleaner, neither Windows Update or Device Manager Update Driver will download or re-install 8.2.1952.0.

What is the procedure to get the WHQL driver to work?
Old 09-26-2018, 08:42 AM   #6
uit

I developed a workaround to stop the incessant writing to the log files!

Set the Windows file security permissions for the current user to Read and Read/Execute. Easiest way is to disable Inheritance on the file, the add the current user.
Make the change after disconnecting the DisplayLink device, otherwise these files will be open and unavailable to be modified.

C:\Windows\Temp\FirmwareTrace.log
C:\Windows\Temp\DisplayLink\FirmwareTrace.log
C:\Windows\Temp\DisplayLink\DisplayLinkManager.log

After making the permission rights changes, re-connect the DisplayLink device.

C:\Windows\Temp\DisplayLink\DisplayLinkUI.log is written by the Display Link Manager program that appears in the System Tray, and receives periodic log entries. Changing this file's permissions to Read and Read/Execute did not stop logging. This file is renamed to .old after a reboot.

Enjoy!
Old 09-26-2018, 12:27 PM   #7
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,
Would it be possible for you to give logs to know what generates that?
Is it new in 9.0 Alpha or was it present in previous release?
Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
Old 09-26-2018, 04:36 PM   #8
uit

Problem with incessant logging in DisplayLink software since at least version 8.6.1104.0

I wiped and reinstalled Windows 10 Enterprise v1709, ran Windows Updates, connected the 6950 Dock, Windows installed it's DisplayLink driver 8.2.1952.0, 5/22/17, and all was fine (no excessive logging).

Then, I installed DL 9 Alpha and immediately the excessive logging started, but it's not just an issue with just DL 9 Alpha, v8.6.1104.0 has the same problem, and (if memory serves), v8.4 M0 12-11-17 suffers the same bad behavior too.

To see the write activity:

Download and run Process Monitor (procmon.exe) made by Microsoft's SysInternals.com
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sys...nloads/procmon

On the Process Monitor menu:
Click Filter and then Filter again on the submenu
In the top left corner of the Process Monitor Filter window, click the dropdown that shows Architecture and change it to Operation
Leave "is" alone
Click the dropdown field to the right of "is" and select WriteFile (at the bottom of the list)
Click Add followed by OK

Now, with a DisplayLink devices attached to your computer, the Process Monitor window will show lots of entries mentioning FirmwareTrace.log in the Path column. Take note of how many times per second the log file is written! For those of us with SSD's, every write reduces the life of the SSD, so I regularly look for runaway activities that are gorging on my very expensive SSD! Plus, there's CPU overhead associated with writing the logs, which leads to more energy usage and increased cooling fan activity.

FYI, the Detail column may show Offset: followed by a number. The number is the size of the file being written.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:52 AM   #9
uit

Default Giving up on DisplayLink

I had high hopes and wanted the convenience of a dock, but it's so problematic.

1) Random dock to computer USB disconnects when viewing videos, particularly when using the dock's Ethernet. Although, the new 8.6 M1 seems to be more stable? Too soon to know for certain.

2) But, 8.6 lacks Night Light support.

3) Very odd, and SSD killing, constant temporary file writing of DisplayLink log file. This may be the reason others have complained about the WUDF chewing up CPU, because it's busy writing to the temp file.

4) Can't use the wonderful PixelZoomer pixel measurement program. It works just fine with laptop display and laptop display and one dock external monitor, but not two external monitors. Something about the dock confuses it.

Overall, too many annoying and aggravating issues. Fortunately, Amazon will take back the dock, even though it's been over 30 days.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:17 AM   #10
misuo

Default Quick way to disable FirmwareTrace.log writing?

I'm using the 8.2.1952.0 driver version (Windows 10 Pro, 1803) and also see the excessive writing to C:\ProgramData\DisplayLink\Debug\FirmwareTrace.log file in Process Monitor even through I'm quite sure that I've never enabled logging in any way.

Isn't there a (quick) way, e.g. registry setting or something which can disable this?

In the DisplayLink Support Tool (v1.0.1.31) under Advanced Options, all debug logging options are Off and hitting Reset button doesn't stop the writing to FirmwareTrace.log either.

PS. I've even noticed that Windows Defender constantly scanned the file. I've added exclude option to Defender so that doesn't happen anymore.

Last edited by misuo; 10-29-2018 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Minor clarification.